Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Right Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Flight

There's been this thing called "White Flight" where whites abandon neighborhoods as blacks move in, and neighborhoods become more and more "minority", to the point where the whites who remain there are actually the minority.

That's a whole 'nuther thread.

It caused me to think, however, that there's now a "Right Flight" (I haven't seen that anywhere else, so maybe I thunk it up) where conservatives (The Right) are leaving heavily taxed municipalities, jurisdictions, and states in droves. A friend of mine who lives in NYC visited recently, and I was lamenting how hard it was to find a rental car in Nashville a few weeks ago.

He responded by saying "you should try finding a U-haul in New York!!!!" Hi is personally amazed at how NYC is changing.

So, driving the other day, I heard Dan Bongino (sp?) talking on the radio that, given what's happening in NY, there's actually a chance that there could be a Republican mayor of NYC (the Guardian Angels guy) AND a Republican Governor (don't know who he was suggesting).

The problem is that so many conservatives have moved out of NYC that there may not be enough of them left to make a difference.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    There's been this thing called "White Flight" where whites abandon neighborhoods as blacks move in, and neighborhoods become more and more "minority", to the point where the whites who remain there are actually the minority.

That's a whole 'nuther thread.

It caused me to think, however, that there's now a "Right Flight" (I haven't seen that anywhere else, so maybe I thunk it up) where conservatives (The Right) are leaving heavily taxed municipalities, jurisdictions, and states in droves. A friend of mine who lives in NYC visited recently, and I was lamenting how hard it was to find a rental car in Nashville a few weeks ago.

He responded by saying "you should try finding a U-haul in New York!!!!" Hi is personally amazed at how NYC is changing.

So, driving the other day, I heard Dan Bongino (sp?) talking on the radio that, given what's happening in NY, there's actually a chance that there could be a Republican mayor of NYC (the Guardian Angels guy) AND a Republican Governor (don't know who he was suggesting).

The problem is that so many conservatives have moved out of NYC that there may not be enough of them left to make a difference.

While not impossible I put the odds of a Republican winning the governorship as well as mayor of NYC as being only slightly better than Larry Elder winning the governorship in California.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      While not impossible I put the odds of a Republican winning the governorship as well as mayor of NYC as being only slightly better than Larry Elder winning the governorship in California.
      Yeah, he indicated it would be a really really slight possibility, but a possibility that didn't even exist a few weeks ago.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Unfortunately I fear the long term consequence is too many red states will turn purple or blue.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I abandoned my native California and moved to Missouri 15 years ago. It wasn't specifically about politics, but because of a difference in quality of life and cost of living. In hindsight, that discrepancy can be attributed (in part) to politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            Unfortunately I fear the long term consequence is too many red states will turn purple or blue.
            Carl Rove did an interesting study of people leaving California for Texas. He indicated that a clear majority of them had plans to bring California's values (or lack thereof) with them to Texas.

Don't Californicate my Texas!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              Yup. Folks move to get away from high taxes and the craziness but then immediately turn around and start voting for the same sort of policies that led to them having to move in the first place.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There's a good bit of evidence that 'white flight' was overstated. Whites - and middle class blacks - tended to flee only once the neighborhood showed signs of significant decline. Few moved just as black folks moved in - and a good bit of that was coincidental.

The decline, not the new neighbor, tended to cause the flight. If that same dynamic is at work here, then we're seeing both political views represented. Since Colorado is one of the places people are fleeing to, this seems likely true.

But here's the thing - it's far more likely that a person moving into a politically different area will adopt many of the new (to them) views over time. If urban living is in fact in decline, that will exacerbate this effect - because they large pools of like minded won't be as easily accessed - or may deliberately be avoided. The disappearance of the water cooler - and a consistent need to be in the office - takes a LOT of the pressure to conform off of the employee. Probably we'll see an increase in apathy in this group at least initially. But over time, the community, not the corporation, becomes more influential.

Where they settle is more of an indicator of the long term than where they came from - looks kinda promising, actually.

Political affiliation is not static.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment