Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How do these "mistakes" keep happening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/media/missouri-schools-hide-race-based-curriculum-parent-fox-friends

According to a memo obtained by The Daily Wire, the Rockwood School District hid race-based content from their curriculum after backlash from parents who were concerned.

A 6-12 Literacy Speech Coordinator Natalie Fallert wrote to all middle and high school principals that parents complained that the school was "pushing an agenda," suggesting that certain materials only be visible to students and not to parents on the Canvas remote learning platform.

The Daily Signal posted the contents of the memo: "This doesn’t mean throw out the lesson and find a new one. Just pull the resource off Canvas so parents cannot see it … Keep teaching! Just don’t make everything visible on Canvas. This is not being deceitful. This is just doing what you have done for years. Prior to the pandemic you didn’t send everything home or have it available. You taught in your classroom and things were peachy keen. We are going old-school," the memo stated.

"The email that was sent to teachers encouraging them to hide or alter content visible to parents was not reviewed or approved by anyone before it was disseminated by an individual staff member.

"It does not reflect the mission, vision, and values, of the district and is counter to the goals set forth in our strategic plan. The Rockwood School district encourages transparency and recognizes open communication is vital between parents and our staff."

© Copyright Original Source

Yet another good example of an action being taken by an individual.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Yet another good example of an action being taken by an individual.
      Well, No.

The first two are just things you have asserted are actions of individuals. You provided nothing other than your own base word that it was an individual actions.

Comment

Well, No.

The first two are just things you have asserted are actions of individuals. You provided nothing other than your own base word that it was an individual actions.
        They are things that could have been done by individuals. They are certainly not reasons to believe there is a huge conspiracy going on.

Comment

They are things that could have been done by individuals. They are certainly not reasons to believe there is a huge conspiracy going on.
          Who said anything about a conspiracy?

Comment

Who said anything about a conspiracy?
            I'm not really sure what your complaint is, to be fair.

Comment

I'm not really sure what your complaint is, to be fair.
              So, what you've just been commenting blind then?

"I have no idea what he's saying, but it must be an attack, the only appropriate response is to handwoven it away."

Comment

My elementary school tried to force everybody to write every assignment in cursive. Being left handed and already with problems writing neatly, the result was my hand smudged everything. My teacher just ended up directing me to type my assignments.

I agree with those who say the whole cursive push is a major waste of time. All that time could be spent teaching kids to code.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Back to the OP, the assignment with the police officer mention is hardly the worst of what's out there.

My stepdaughter got a survey from the health class in middle school that asked "What's your sexual identity?" She's no longer in the public schools. I'm not generally conspiratorial, but there aren't too many reasons why an adult would be asking that question of a child.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

So, what you've just been commenting blind then?
                    No, I thought I knew what you were trying to say, but your replies have left me wondering.

Comment

No, I thought I knew what you were trying to say, but your replies have left me wondering.
                      That might be because you keep making large assumptions, and that leaves you confused. You first excused actions of organizations as just the acts of individuals. When it was pointed out that it wasn't just individuals, you jumped to the conclusion that it had to be a grand conspiracy. You swing back and forth wildly as you try to come up with a handwave against stuff you are making assumptions about.

It's fairly simple. Organizations can take actions without a grand conspiracy, but when they catch flack on it, it's common to simply excuse it away as a mistake/error/unapproved action of an individual.

The "mistake" is the organizational equivalent of "I misspoke" when someone gets caught saying something they shouldn't have.

Comment

It's fairly simple. Organizations can take actions without a grand conspiracy, but when they catch flack on it, it's common to simply excuse it away as a mistake/error/unapproved action of an individual.

The "mistake" is the organizational equivalent of "I misspoke" when someone gets caught saying something they shouldn't have.
                        When you put it that way, I think you have a good point.

If an organization needs the support of the public, it is likely to behave much as a politician would.

Comment