Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cuomo the Harasser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

The article is from 2 months ago. Now that this has broken, that may change. If it happens, CNN will probably describe it as a parting of the ways.
    Huh... I didn't check the date. I assumed it was current because it was posted on the front page.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Huh... I didn't check the date. I assumed it was current because it was posted on the front page.
      I've been fooled the same way. I've clicked on article and discovered they're two years old. I've learned to check the date of the article as I start reading it. I think some those preference algorithms don't care about old the article is when they pull it up for you.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I just listened to he response to the allegations. He just doesn't know when to shut up. He came across as very patronizing.

His biggest defense was that he does such things with everyone. Hugging and kissing. And showed a bunch of photos of him kissing people on the cheek.

1. So? That doesn't give him the right to do that in the office or elevator to women he is the boss of.
        2. Kissing someone in public on the cheek is quite different than making moves on them, talking suggestively and touching them inappropriately.
        I definitely gotten the sense he hasn't gone to any of the sexual harassment training that I'm sure all state employees are required to take.

Side note, I wouldn't be surprised if my employer doesn't roll out some on-the-job harassment training and restate the harassment policy in the next few days.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

My prediction is that this'll hold the news cycle for today, but Cuomo will stubbornly refuse to resign (as before), and wait for the news teams to find something that is "more newsworthy" than "that old thing" and fade out. Once it fades, the pressure will let up.
          Your right to a point. The point is next year Cuomo is up for reelection. If he declares as a candidate, he'll get significant opposition and this will be all over the media until the primary election.

I can see him holding out for the rest of his term. So far any criminal charges are just misdemeanors and I doubt there is the will to impeach him. I can't see him getting reelected. I think he's burned too many bridges with fellow Democrats.

Comment

I've been fooled the same way. I've clicked on article and discovered they're two years old. I've learned to check the date of the article as I start reading it. I think some those preference algorithms don't care about old the article is when they pull it up for you.
            Some news aggregation sites list when the article was posted. Google News does that. Others like Drudge don't

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Looks like old Joe or his keepers have informed the Emmy winning America's Mayor[1] that he needs to resign now.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

at times like this I need a font where the dot for an exclamation point is a heart.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Looks like old Joe or his keepers have informed the Emmy winning America's Mayor[1] that he needs to resign now.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

at times like this I need a font where the dot for an exclamation point is a heart.

I dearly hope Cuomo turns this around and asks Joe when he's going to resign for the same reasons.

Comment

I dearly hope Cuomo turns this around and asks Joe when he's going to resign for the same reasons.
                  As I said, when you hear what the female state trooper said Cuomo did, there isn't much daylight between it and what we have videos of old Joe doing for decades.

Comment

Within the video, Governor Andrew Cuomo says the issues outlined against him are a matter of cultural differences. “Hey, I’m Italian”, he says to people defining Cuomo’s expressions of “warmth” and compassion as inappropriate in the modern-era. Cuomo’s team put together a picture montage of Cuomo touching and kissing people throughout his career, and the Governor says in hindsight, maybe he was just too nice a guy.

As Cuomo notes in his justification, the victims: “Read into comments that I made, and draw inferences that I never meant. They ascribe motives I never had; and simply put, they heard things that I just didn’t say.” … “I was trying to help, and obviously I didn’t.” To explain the groping of young women’s breasts and buttocks, the New York Governor said he does it all the time.

Governor Cuomo explains his cultural connection thusly: “Other complainants raised against me questions that have sought to unfairly characterize and weaponize interactions that I have had with any number of New Yorkers” … “I have been making the same gestures in public all my life. I have learned them from my mother and from my father.” … “I do it with everyone, black and white, young and old, straight and LGBTQ.” … “I do kiss people, I do embrace people, I do hug people.” “On occasion I do slip and say sweetheart or darling.”

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-touch-people/

This is pretty much the exact same excuse liberals drug out to defend Joe's creepy behavior around women and especially young girls.

Comment

Within the video, Governor Andrew Cuomo says the issues outlined against him are a matter of cultural differences. “Hey, I’m Italian”, he says to people defining Cuomo’s expressions of “warmth” and compassion as inappropriate in the modern-era. Cuomo’s team put together a picture montage of Cuomo touching and kissing people throughout his career, and the Governor says in hindsight, maybe he was just too nice a guy.

As Cuomo notes in his justification, the victims: “Read into comments that I made, and draw inferences that I never meant. They ascribe motives I never had; and simply put, they heard things that I just didn’t say.” … “I was trying to help, and obviously I didn’t.” To explain the groping of young women’s breasts and buttocks, the New York Governor said he does it all the time.

Governor Cuomo explains his cultural connection thusly: “Other complainants raised against me questions that have sought to unfairly characterize and weaponize interactions that I have had with any number of New Yorkers” … “I have been making the same gestures in public all my life. I have learned them from my mother and from my father.” … “I do it with everyone, black and white, young and old, straight and LGBTQ.” … “I do kiss people, I do embrace people, I do hug people.” “On occasion I do slip and say sweetheart or darling.”

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...-touch-people/

This is pretty much the exact same excuse liberals drug out to defend Joe's creepy behavior around women and especially young girls.
                      So groping and caressing strange women is a cultural thing according to Cuomo, and therefore something he can't help nor be blamed for.

Way to throw your ancestry under the bus Andrew.

Comment

So groping and caressing strange women is a cultural thing according to Cuomo, and therefore something he can't help nor be blamed for.

Way to throw your ancestry under the bus Andrew.
                        Last night while watching the coverage, my wife said the same things about Italians. Regretfully, she was talking from personal experience although probably 40 or so years ago.

Comment

Last night while watching the coverage, my wife said the same things about Italians. Regretfully, she was talking from personal experience although probably 40 or so years ago.
                          The thing is you can find Italians who act that way. If you are familiar with the thankfully defunct Jersey Shore TV show you would see self-styled Guidos and Guidettes (that's what they called themselves) acting that way. Of course it's likely that they over-acted that way for the cameras.

Still, Cuomo is taking a stereotype, a caricature, and insisting that it is how all Italians are and that it is in their nature to be so.

It's no different than someone getting arrested for an alcohol-related offense and declaring because of their ancestry (say Irish, or any other ethnic group with the stereotypical representation that portrays them as drunks) makes it so they can't help it and therefore they can't be held responsible.

Comment

The thing is you can find Italians who act that way. If you are familiar with the thankfully defunct Jersey Shore TV show you would see self-styled Guidos and Guidettes (that's what they called themselves) acting that way. Of course it's likely that they over-acted that way for the cameras.

Still, Cuomo is taking a stereotype, a caricature, and insisting that it is how all Italians are and that it is in their nature to be so.

It's no different than someone getting arrested for an alcohol-related offense and declaring because of their ancestry (say Irish, or any other ethnic group with the stereotypical representation that portrays them as drunks) makes it so they can't help it and therefore they can't be held responsible.
                            He's definately dodging taking personal responsibility. Even his apologies are more for his intent rather than harm inflicted.

Comment

I guess I'm gonna go out and do a bit of pillaging this afternoon. After all, it's my Scandinavian heritage so it's not like I'm responsible.

Comment

I'm thinking most important gauge of Cuomo political future is are his big donors abandoning him? If his money dries up, his political career goes with it,

Comment