Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cuomo the Harasser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, I just saw a commentary (realclearpolitics?) where the Dems are throwing him under the bus in hopes that will be enough to ease the fact that many Dems are having buyer's remorse over Biden.
    I find that a stretch. I still think the reaction is fueled by Cuomo's aggressive, take no prisoners political style. He's burned so many Democrats here in the state that they're glad for an opportunity to take him out.

I remember reading an article about his participation in his father, Mario's, administration. He was called something like 'Mario's enforcer.' Since Godfather analogies are popular here, maybe Mario's Luca Brasi?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Remember the political obituaries written for Clinton by even many of his friends and allies after news of the Lewinsky affair and everything else going on at the time (Paula Jones etc.).

Of course, Andrew Cuomo is no Bill Clinton.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Remember the political obituaries written for Clinton by even many of his friends and allies after news of the Lewinsky affair and everything else going on at the time (Paula Jones etc.).

Of course, Andrew Cuomo is no Bill Clinton.
        Well, yeah, and remember how many times Trump was toast, even before he was POTUS? In fact, a snowball had a better chance of surviving in the hot place than Trump had become POTUS.

So, yeah...
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, yeah, and remember how many times Trump was toast, even before he was POTUS? In fact, a snowball had a better chance of surviving in the hot place than Trump had become POTUS.

So, yeah...
          I wonder if you had bet a dollar in 2014 that Trump would be elected president in 2016 how much you would have made.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I wonder if you had bet a dollar in 2014 that Trump would be elected president in 2016 how much you would have made.
            Even on election night, until the very last minute, his odds of winning were close to ZERO. I posted those graphics back on election night.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Even on election night, until the very last minute, his odds of winning were close to ZERO. I posted those graphics back on election night.
              I posted links to the various news outlets, polls and pundits as well -- only to have what's his name[1] immediately dismiss them

1. polite but would handwave everything off so often and fast that it's a miracle he didn't take off like a helicopter

Comment

I posted links to the various news outlets, polls and pundits as well -- only to have what's his name[1] immediately dismiss them

1. polite but would handwave everything off so often and fast that it's a miracle he didn't take off like a helicopter
                Carpe!

Anyhow, I just heard something about "Fredo" announcing that he will be taking a "long-planned" three week vacation from CNN -- less than a month after returning from vacation.

Comment

Yeah, I just saw a commentary (realclearpolitics?) where the Dems are throwing him under the bus in hopes that will be enough to ease the fact that many Dems are having buyer's remorse over Biden.
                  I was thinking about this. Democrats may be throwing him under a bus to remove a rival for Harris's run for President in 2024.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    China flu hysteria is ramping up again with threats of lockdowns and mask and vaccine mandates which is ginning up plenty of controversy, so I'm guessing Cuomo will quickly become yesterday's news.
                    Not yet. I tuned into CNN during my news channel flipping while eating breakfast to see a long article about Cuomo and how his lawyer's defense isn't credible.

You may yet be right, MM, but not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I was thinking about this. Democrats may be throwing him under a bus to remove a rival for Harris's run for President in 2024.
                      Even without the latest moves, Cuomo was likely hopelessly damaged already. His only draw was his reputation as "America's Governor" and his handling of the response to the pandemic. And now that this has been shown to have been horribly bungled (the nursing home scandal will not be forgotten even as the MSM drops it).

Without the myth of his responding flawlessly to the pandemic, he had nothing left to run on. I mean it certainly wasn't going to be on his personality. You couldn't polish that turd enough.

Coincidentally, Harris has a very similar personality problem. She is someone that folks seem to instinctively dislike.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Not yet. I tuned into CNN during my news channel flipping while eating breakfast to see a long article about Cuomo and how his lawyer's defense isn't credible.

You may yet be right, MM, but not yet.
                        I'm too cynical. I just think of how much negative coverage "Blackface" Northam and his lecherous lieutenant governor received only for them to both skate without any consequences.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm too cynical. I just think of how much negative coverage "Blackface" Northam and his lecherous lieutenant governor received only for them to both skate without any consequences.
                          But there are a couple of major differences between them as I noted earlier,

Two differences with Northam

1. He apologized. IIRC, it was kinda half-hearted, but that still makes it light years better than what "America's Governor" did. While it might be said that he just took a page from Clinton and Trump's playbook and has decided to tough it out, he added his own nasty Cuomo twist to things that took it to an entirely different level. Or three.

b) If Cuomo goes he gets replaced by another Democrat. While Northam was in trouble so too were his Lieutenant Governor and Attorney General. The next two in the line of succession. It was uncertain that any of them could weather their personal scandals. And if not, then the third in line was a Republican and he would become Governor. So unlike Cuomo, the state's Democrats either closed ranks behind or took the pressure off Northam (as did the MSM) in order to keep the Governorship in Democrat hands.

Moreover, people don't seem to dislike Northam on a personal level whereas Cuomo has gone out of his way to make enemies.

Comment

Yeah. But you have to remember, it only died once it became clear that the zero-tolerance tactic they were taking was going to hand the governorship over to a republican, since the top 3 were going to go down under that tactic.

Al Franken was a safe sacrifice because it wouldn't tip the balance of power. Same with Cuomo, especially given that he's burned a number of bridges along the way. It's entirely likely that the dem calculation is that his sacrifice will do more good than harm to the party, since they can use it to show that they are serious and willing to get rid of one of "their own", and personally get rid of someone that has caused headaches. Because, once they get rid of him, any problems with NY can simply be laid at this guys feet that they got rid of.

Comment

But there are a couple of major differences between them as I noted earlier,

Moreover, people don't seem to dislike Northam on a personal level whereas Cuomo has gone out of his way to make enemies.
                              stop beating me to the punch.

Comment

It also appears that an arrest is increasingly likely in Cuomo's future. One of the complainants has filed criminal charges and if the sheriff finds them to be credible he pretty much has no choice but to arrest Cuomo and send everything over to the DA.

If it happens you can forget a midnight raid and perp walk. That only happens if you're associated with Trump. Cuomo and attorneys would likely quietly enter the police station, fill out the paperwork, and quickly exit in a matter of a few minutes.

But if he is actually arrested and charged, you can expect the dynamics to shift quickly. IIRC, pollsters have already looked into the likely reaction among voters and FWIU Cuomo's support pretty much vanishes if it happens.

Comment