Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The right to die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
    The problem is that the word "right" here is equivocal. You are using it in one sense to mean "moral" (right versus wrong) and in other to refer to things we inherently posses not do or not to do. We have the "right" to be completely unpleasant human beings. It is not right to be so.
    Tho that is the problem since many people, if not most, will make the same category error. That was my point about better articulation so it is clear to people (glad to hear LP platform addresses this)

Originally posted by DX
    How we "want" society to operate does not give us the right to force others, neither is it right.
    You are in effect doing the same though as many do not want such a free society because while it might be fine if society included adult people in full control of their faculties it doesnt, it includes minors and other vulnerable people and surely when exercising our votes we should factor that in because these are often the people who suffer the ill effects of all the freedom. Many people who are prevented from suiciding are often glad of it.

Originally posted by DW
    And no, delegislating something does not make it moral. In fact, the LP Platform addresses this specifically:

Originally posted by DW
    "Individuals should be free to make choices for themselves and must accept responsibility for the consequences of the choices they make. Our support of an individual’s right to make choices in life does not mean that we necessarily approve or disapprove of those choices. No individual, group, or government may initiate force against any other individual, group, or government."
    I have heard this type of speech many times before - especially in the 90s and early 2000s when liberals were making their way to the upper echelons of power (I am speaking of here in UK) Now they are there they are singing a different tune and are restricting freedoms much more so than ever we saw in the past - especially freedom of Christians. You might think libertarianism is a way of ensuring rights for Christians (and isnt this going down to Egypt) but what I have seen here is that you cannot trust people who are fundamentally anti-Christian. That is why it is my opinion it is best for Christians to to be about our own business and leave the world to make their own rules and when we do get the chance to vote, for me my voice is Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      You proved my point. The dog being put down is because myself and others have a right to be protected from dangerous animals. Courts are not punishing the dog rather, they are euthanizing it because it will be unsafe as a pet, or as a wild animal.

Good job.

That's really pathetic. Now you're confusing lawful with rights.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment