Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama is prosecuting a mom for taking prescribed medication while pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You can't help but make an eejit out of yourself, can you?
    At least I check my facts. Our friend did not recognise Bosch's work The Ship of Fools [a search on Google for Bosch's paintings would have provided the information] but then pompously admonished me that because I had not used "something from Hieronymus Bosch, you have squandered an opportunity".

He then went on to compound his error by writing that he was "more familiar with a different rendition of the subject by him". The painting [for which he submitted an image] The Fool's Ship is not by Bosch. It's dated to c. 1545-1550 that is some thirty years or more after Bosch died.

Given that he is "more familiar" with this "different rendition" I can only suppose that for some time rogue06 has been admiring [and possibly commenting on] this painting as being a work by Bosch, when it is not.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Why do you have this apparent compulsion to lie like you do?

Do I intimidate you so much that you feel it necessary to make up stuff about me so I'm not so "scary"?

First it was your insistence on saying that I style myself as a classicist when I've repeatedly made it clear that I make no such pretenses and am nothing more than an interested amateur. Nevertheless you felt obligated to continue disseminating that falsehood. And it is real ironic, given that you are the one who has taken on airs as being a professional historian, who apparently can't help but to make the same sort of mistakes that a first year student learns to avoid making during the first semester. All while sneering how "with regard to the discipline of history I know a great more than most of the contributors to these boards"

I'm not an art connoisseur, and have never presented myself as one (that's just something you made up), but I do like art and I'm familiar with Bosch (who was a prolific painter). I'm also a big fan of Monet and a chap by the name of John Atkinson Grimshaw, but unlike you just because I'm interested in them, I don't proclaim myself an expert.

As I posted above:

And I make no pretenses about art. I enjoy it and do know a bit about it picking it up from my brother who was in the business for nearly 40 years and having a gf who opened an art gallery. While I may have not recognized the artist, I did correctly classify it as being from the Dutch/Flemish school and the proper period, so it isn't like I complete missed it.

Ironically I got in the fossil business as a direct result of missing out on purchasing a work at a silent auction partially done by Albrecht Dürer. It woulda been so cool to own something by a genuine Renaissance master.

I'll also add that both of the Breueghel's works strongly resemble those of Bosch that the elder Breueghel (Pieter) was referred to as the Second Bosch in his time.

I recommend you take your whining to the board known as The Padded Room.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        At least I check my facts.......

In a thread with an article pretty much devoid of facts, and all based on the woman's advocate attorney whose job it is present her in the best light possible because she was prosecuted, not for "taking meds while pregnant", but PRESCRIPTION FRAUD.

So much for check your facts.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
          I personally did a little more research, because the Guardian is weird. I do think this is an example of overreach. Social Services found no wrong doing. If the medicine was taken at guidelines, there needed to be other questions asked. In general some of the laws concerning opioid prescribing have gotten to a level I would consider to be dangerous. Not because patients get them too easily, but, for example, we had a patient who had broken his leg in 3 places, and two ribs. Normally you'd be given morphine or similar in the hospital, however the local emergency room, so afraid of liability and prosecution gave the man one single oral opioid pill. When he came to the pharmacy he was sweating and his blood pressure was through the roof. We thought he would pass out from shock. Not because he was in withdrawal, because the pain was so obvious.
          If a woman has a condition that renders her in such severe pain she is at risk of secondary conditions developing (high blood pressure is one) then she should have the right to be treated even if she is pregnant. The enforcement of the laws should not be so severe that she can't have access to treatment should she be pregnant. I'm not negating that we've been in an opioid crisis, but I do believe that what is happening now is not treating the crisis either.
          The article made it clear that Ms Blalock was not taking the painkillers daily "An orthopedist prescribed hydrocodone, an opiate pain killer, and she started using it occasionally when the pain became too much to handle." The article also noted that "The state child services agency found no wrongdoing, but the local police and district attorney pressed on".

I agree with your comment that "If a woman has a condition that renders her in such severe pain she is at risk of secondary conditions developing (high blood pressure is one) then she should have the right to be treated even if she is pregnant. The enforcement of the laws should not be so severe that she can't have access to treatment should she be pregnant."

The problem this case highlights is that women who do have a pre-existing condition may now be fearful of prosecution and so either lie to their doctors or cease taking their medication for the duration of their pregnancy.

This was also outlined in the article.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The article made it clear that Ms Blalock was not taking the painkillers daily "An orthopedist prescribed hydrocodone, an opiate pain killer, and she started using it occasionally when the pain became too much to handle." The article also noted that "The state child services agency found no wrongdoing, but the local police and district attorney pressed on".

I agree with your comment that "If a woman has a condition that renders her in such severe pain she is at risk of secondary conditions developing (high blood pressure is one) then she should have the right to be treated even if she is pregnant. The enforcement of the laws should not be so severe that she can't have access to treatment should she be pregnant."

The problem this case highlights is that women who do have a pre-existing condition may now be fearful of prosecution and so either lie to their doctors or cease taking their medication for the duration of their pregnancy.

This was also outlined in the article.
            The "article" is essentially a woman advocate attorney whose job it is to drum up sympathy for her client who has been charged with a felony.

Tis a foolish person who draws conclusons from one side of the story without hearing the actual facts in the case.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

In a thread with an article pretty much devoid of facts, and all based on the woman's advocate attorney whose job it is present her in the best light possible because she was prosecuted, not for "taking meds while pregnant", but PRESCRIPTION FRAUD.

I copied the title of the article in the Guardian.

I recommend that both you and Cow Poke write expressing your complaints to either Ms Donegan [the author of the article] or to the Letters section of the paper.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

We know. You got suckered.

I recommend that both you and Cow Poke write expressing your complaints to either Ms Donegan [the author of the article] or to the Letters section of the paper.
                I AM Cow Poke, you goofus.

Comment

We know. You got suckered.

I AM Cow Poke, you goofus.
                  She must not have checked that fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                    She must not have checked that fact.

But she is becoming quite practiced in making this same error.

Comment

I recommend you take your whining to the board known as The Padded Room.
                      Didn't you just boast to CV about "At least I check my facts."

Maybe you should look into what the padded room is actually for.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Maybe she has her own unique personal definition for things like "check" and "facts."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Here's how this works, H_A....

(by the way, this is Cow Poke again)

You posted an article from the Guardian without any factchecking of your own.
                          Ms Donegan did not post the article here - you did.
                          The Guardian did not post the article here - you did.

Now, while I completely understand your need to distance yourself from the incredibly one-sided article, you added your own commentary to it, indicating you believed it and it needed to be addressed.

Need I quote all of the commentary YOU added to the incredibly one-sided article?

Be a big girl. Either own it, or admit you goofed.

Comment

*snort*

First you posted something to me but addressed it to me brudda.

Now you posted something to CV but addressed it to me brudda.

This inordinate fascination you have for him might just get Mrs. CP to raise an eyebrow.

Nobody wants Mrs. CP raising an eyebrow.

smiley hide.gif

Comment

Here's how this works, H_A....

(by the way, this is Cow Poke again)

You posted an article from the Guardian without any factchecking of your own.
                              Ms Donegan did not post the article here - you did.
                              The Guardian did not post the article here - you did.

Now, while I completely understand your need to distance yourself from the incredibly one-sided article, you added your own commentary to it, indicating you believed it and it needed to be addressed.

Need I quote all of the commentary YOU added to the incredibly one-sided article?

Be a big girl. Either own it, or admit you goofed.
                              Yup. She even likened it to something out of The Handmaid's Tale, but rather quickly tied to walk that back.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Yup. She even likened it to something out of The Handmaid's Tale, but rather quickly tied to walk that back.
                                What do you think are the chances that she will ever admit that the title is deceptive, and the entire "case" is simply the attempt of the woman's attorney to drum up sympathy for her FELONY prescription fraud case?

I'd say it's more likely that Horace the Bull will grow udders and get milk, and he's already processed and in the freezer.

Comment