Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama is prosecuting a mom for taking prescribed medication while pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I know from past exchanges that tabibito does not read [or at least does not understand] what has been written. His remark [and I assume he identifies as male if not my apologies] to which I replied suggests he did not read the article, or at least did not understand what he had read.
    I know from past exchanges that tabibito does indeed read and understand what has been written.

This is just your excuse for acting the way you do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Apologies that should have been addressed to rogue06
      Delicious irony given it was a post whining about someone else making a mistake

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Apologies that should have been addressed to rogue06
        You can't help but make an eejit out of yourself, can you?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I know from past exchanges that tabibito does indeed read and understand what has been written.

This is just your excuse for acting the way you do.
          The arguments are so phrased as to be confusing, and to deliberately drive others into committing error.

Matters have passed the limits of "inasmuch as possible" and "insofar as it depends on" me.
          I was tempted to say that this is - what's his name again? - Mickiel(?) all over again, but he was just an amateur.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Your pal tried to present himself as a connoisseur on the work of Hieronymus Bosch and ended up making a fool of himself.
            Why do you have this apparent compulsion to lie like you do?

Do I intimidate you so much that you feel it necessary to make up stuff about me so I'm not so "scary"?

First it was your insistence on saying that I style myself as a classicist when I've repeatedly made it clear that I make no such pretenses and am nothing more than an interested amateur. Nevertheless you felt obligated to continue disseminating that falsehood. And it is real ironic, given that you are the one who has taken on airs as being a professional historian, who apparently can't help but to make the same sort of mistakes that a first year student learns to avoid making during the first semester. All while sneering how "with regard to the discipline of history I know a great more than most of the contributors to these boards"

I'm not an art connoisseur, and have never presented myself as one (that's just something you made up), but I do like art and I'm familiar with Bosch (who was a prolific painter). I'm also a big fan of Monet and a chap by the name of John Atkinson Grimshaw, but unlike you just because I'm interested in them, I don't proclaim myself an expert.

As I posted above:

And I make no pretenses about art. I enjoy it and do know a bit about it picking it up from my brother who was in the business for nearly 40 years and having a gf who opened an art gallery. While I may have not recognized the artist, I did correctly classify it as being from the Dutch/Flemish school and the proper period, so it isn't like I complete missed it.

Ironically I got in the fossil business as a direct result of missing out on purchasing a work at a silent auction partially done by Albrecht Dürer. It woulda been so cool to own something by a genuine Renaissance master.

I'll also add that both of the Breueghel's works strongly resemble those of Bosch that the elder Breueghel (Pieter) was referred to as the Second Bosch in his time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              I personally did a little more research, because the Guardian is weird. I do think this is an example of overreach. Social Services found no wrong doing. If the medicine was taken at guidelines, there needed to be other questions asked. In general some of the laws concerning opioid prescribing have gotten to a level I would consider to be dangerous. Not because patients get them too easily, but, for example, we had a patient who had broken his leg in 3 places, and two ribs. Normally you'd be given morphine or similar in the hospital, however the local emergency room, so afraid of liability and prosecution gave the man one single oral opioid pill. When he came to the pharmacy he was sweating and his blood pressure was through the roof. We thought he would pass out from shock. Not because he was in withdrawal, because the pain was so obvious.
              If a woman has a condition that renders her in such severe pain she is at risk of secondary conditions developing (high blood pressure is one) then she should have the right to be treated even if she is pregnant. The enforcement of the laws should not be so severe that she can't have access to treatment should she be pregnant. I'm not negating that we've been in an opioid crisis, but I do believe that what is happening now is not treating the crisis either.
              You bring up a good point. It wasn't that long ago that doctors were accused on under-prescribing pain killers because they feared being accused of being a pill-dispensary and getting prosecuted. So you had people going out and buying pain killers, even heroin, to treat their pain.

Now the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction, but I think in part because of just how powerful some of the pain killers available now are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                I just don't understand how a prosecutor jumps straight to fraud. It's up to the prescribing physician to obtain a pregnancy test every so often anyhow.....
                If this hasn't gone to trial yet we don't know what evidence that the D.A. has. Still, as the prodder of bovines opined, it, at least for now, looks like overreach.

I wonder if the community there has a particular problem with opioid abuse and this is part of a "get tough" campaign to try to reduce it (or more cynically, a part of a political campaign to show he's tough on crime -- something we'll probably see a LOT of this coming election cycle)

Comment

You are not interested in the content of a comment yet reply to that comment in order to demonstrate that you are not interested in its content.
                  Maybe pop your head out of your backside and focus on content, rather than being obsessed with passing comments.

Each to their own I suppose.
                  So, what we have is a bunch of one-sided exaggerated statements from a lawyer who is trying to gin up sympathy for her client to sucker in gullible people like you.

Scripture Verse: Prov 18:17 NIV

In a lawsuit the first to speak seems right, until someone comes forward and cross-examines.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Scripture Verse: Prov 18:17 NIV

In a lawsuit the first to speak seems right, until someone comes forward and cross-examines.

Oh my goodness. I never noticed that before. How did I miss it?

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The arguments are so phrased as to be confusing, and to deliberately drive others into committing error.

Matters have passed the limits of "inasmuch as possible" and "insofar as it depends on" me.
                      I was tempted to say that this is - what's his name again? - Mickiel(?) all over again, but he was just an amateur.

And I want to get into that, while walking alone in the darkness, growing this thread. Grow thread grow!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh my goodness. I never noticed that before. How did I miss it?
                        It's not worded as cleanly in the KJV --

Scripture Verse: Prov 18:17 KJV

He that is first in his own cause seemeth just; but his neighbour cometh and searcheth him.

But says the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                          Does anyone remember the case of Jürgen Bartsch. He was the German guy who was arrested for visiting an air-raid shelter. Germany kept this man, who was sexually abused by his parents and teachers, in jail for 9 years, where they eventually killed him during surgery.
                          From the Wiki article to which you linked, he was not "arrested for visiting an air-raid shelter." He was arrested for luring other people to that shelter and then sexually abusing and murdering them. One intended victim escaped and raised the alarm.

What Bartsch's case would suggest is that he was not born with those behaviours. They were the result of his own serious abuse and trauma; and his case raises questions about other such individuals that sections of the press so often like to term "evil" or "monsters". How many of those had been brutalised, mistreated or otherwise "damaged" in their own childhoods or youth? I recently re-read Truman Capote's book In Cold Blood a non-fiction novel based on the Clutter murders in Kansas in 1959. Perry Smith had a horrendous childhood and Hickock may have suffered brain damage from an earlier auto accident.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Delicious irony given it was a post whining about someone else making a mistake

You made the same mistake twice.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

From the Wiki article to which you linked, he was not "arrested for visiting an air-raid shelter."
                              <snipped for irrelevance>
                              Which he visited an air-raid shelter for.

It's an accurate description (well as accurate as your thread title)

Comment

From the Wiki article to which you linked, he was not "arrested for visiting an air-raid shelter." He was arrested for luring other people to that shelter and then sexually abusing and murdering them. One intended victim escaped and raised the alarm.....
                                Kinda like your bogus thread title?

Comment