Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama is prosecuting a mom for taking prescribed medication while pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    What she experienced at the hands of an over-zealous DA has resulted in her suffering PPD and difficulty in bonding with her child.
    No, that's what she claims - you can't know that as fact. That sounds more like ambulance-chaser attorney coaching.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

No, that's what she claims
      And of course you would know all about the effects of PPD, wouldn't you?

Seven armed officers arrived at her home two months after she gave birth. Did her offence really require the presence of that many officers descending on her home, and all of them armed?

She experienced the psychological stress of that [including the fear it generated among her other children] and all this took place only a few weeks [two months] after she had given birth [itself a stressful event - re hormone level adjustments, sore breasts etc, weepy moments, exhaustion, and so forth].

Further stress was caused to her by being charged with prescription fraud because she took painkillers to help her cope with the final weeks of her pregnancy, and presumably with caring for her other children.

All of which, given that the state child child agency found no wrongdoing, was unnecessary and excessive.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

And of course you would know all about the effects of PPD, wouldn't you?
        Well, I am invested in a pregnancy center, after all. And I'm quite involved in litigation. All you have is her claim after the fact, and it appears that what was "the bump" causing her great pain is now a beloved child over which she now agonizes.

Just doesn't pass the smell test.

Want me to change the deceptive thread title?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Seven armed officers arrived at her home two months after she gave birth. Did her offence really require the presence of that many officers descending on her home, and all of them armed?
          Perhaps they should have drawn straws and decided which 3 of the 7 were armed?

I have already said there appears to have been an overreaction.

Comment

Gonna take another crack at this because it's a slow day, and I have a few extra minutes before taking my sweetie to dinner.

Commissioned police officers in the US are armed. Almost without exception. On duty and off. If they go to a burger joint for lunch, they're armed. If they make a presentation at a public school, they are armed.

Kvetching over the fact that "all of them were armed" is just dramaqueenery on your part.

Want I should change the dishonest thread title for you?

Comment

Gonna take another crack at this because it's a slow day, and I have a few extra minutes before taking my sweetie to dinner.

Commissioned police officers in the US are armed. Almost without exception. On duty and off. If they go to a burger joint for lunch, they're armed. If they make a presentation at a public school, they are armed.

Kvetching over the fact that "all of them were armed" is just dramaqueenery on your part.

Want I should change the dishonest thread title for you?

Why were seven officers required? And why a "raid"? This was hardly the home of some dangerous criminal.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well, I am invested in a pregnancy center, after all..
                Yet you've never experienced ballooning and sore breasts and the discomfort of a post partum vagina, or the effects of an episiotomy.

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yet you've never experienced ballooning and sore breasts and the discomfort of a post partum vagina, or the effects of an episiotomy.

And? You dismiss his experience all the time, so you've already dismissed this sort of reasoning.

Comment

Why were seven officers required? And why a "raid"?
                    I have no idea, I wasn't there. Were you?

And, once again, I already said it sounded like overreaction.

This was hardly the home of some dangerous criminal.
                    You have no what information they had at the time - nor do I.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      Nor do I need to experience that to know that it's incredibly common for US lawyers to coach such a woman to make those kinds of claims.

All I know is that you deal a whole lot more in hysterical speculation than you do solid fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

And? You dismiss his experience all the time, so you've already dismissed this sort of reasoning.
                        All she cares about is the drama, rumor and speculation.

You can tell that by the bogus thread title.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I have no idea, I wasn't there. Were you?

And, once again, I already said it sounded like overreaction.

You have no what information they had at the time - nor do I.
                          I am simply commenting on what the op-ed piece stated. You seem to be questioning its veracity.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

How was your vagina feeling after you gave birth CD? Did you have an episiotomy? Did you get weepy when your milk started to "come in"? Did you breast feed and if so did you experience any initial discomfort or problems with the baby "latching on" and did you have cracked and sore nipples from feeding on demand?
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am simply commenting on what the op-ed piece stated. You seem to be questioning its veracity.
                              I'm dealing in fact, not rumor. She was NOT prosecuted for "taking prescribed medication while pregnant" as your bogus title claims. That's moronic.

The charge was prescription fraud.

Comment

How was your vagina feeling after you gave birth CD? Did you have an episiotomy? Did you get weepy when your milk started to "come in"? Did you breast feed and if so did you experience any initial discomfort or problems with the baby "latching on" and did you have cracked and sore nipples from feeding on demand?
                                No, but as you've stated, having the experience doesnt make one an expert, or even competent at a topic.

Comment