Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama is prosecuting a mom for taking prescribed medication while pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This is about me, isn't it?
    I can see you sending danging participles to the gas chambers

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Or does its police department and district attorney wish they were in The Handmaid's Tale?
      What is wrong with the Handmaid's Tale? At least women get to be useful!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

True but here, she stopped taking them because she knew they were a problem
        Or wanted to prevent one. She clearly does not have the excuse that it isn't reasonable for her to have known that she shouldn't be doing what she did.

This has all the earmarks of a defense lawyer who realizes that they have no legal case, and finding a reporter to present "her case" and hope to sway public opinion. Or a modern version of the last bit from that marvelously accurate quote from Sandburg

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

What is wrong with the Handmaid's Tale? At least women get to be useful!
          roguetech labs & bait shop isn't just your home for brain and eye bleach products. We also supply bomb shelters, which you can use to avoid all sorts of attacks that might be soon raining down on you.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Or wanted to prevent one. She clearly does not have the excuse that it isn't reasonable for her to have known that she shouldn't be doing what she did.

This has all the earmarks of a defense lawyer who realizes that they have no legal case, and finding a reporter to present "her case" and hope to sway public opinion. Or a modern version of the last bit from that marvelously accurate quote from Sandburg

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell

But it makes a good story onto which liberals can latch to feel good about... um....
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If an individual is well educated they do not need to "sound" smart.
              Lemme come back to this just for a sec.....

My wife works for Texas A&M in the main administrative building. It's Texas, so there are often gatherings for Christmas parties, social events, retreats...

So, not only is she around PhD types on a regular basis, but I am, too, and there are literally two classes of PhD in her sphere.

A) "Teaching" professors
              2) "Extension" professors

Literally, two different departments in the same building and region.

It's amazing how easy it is to distinguish between the two.

The "Teaching" professors use uppity language and always seem to have a need to let you know how smart they are.
              The "Extension" professors speak plain English and are far more interested in letting you know how willing they are to help you solve problems.

The "Teaching" professors seem to think that the more high-falutin' language they use, the more they will be seen as "smart".
              The "Extension" professors are far more interested in communicating complex concepts in easy to understand conversation, including hands-on demonstrations.

I could go on, but I think I've made the point.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Lemme come back to this just for a sec.....

My wife works for Texas A&M in the main administrative building. It's Texas, so there are often gatherings for Christmas parties, social events, retreats...

So, not only is she around PhD types on a regular basis, but I am, too, and there are literally two classes of PhD in her sphere.

A) "Teaching" professors
                2) "Extension" professors

Literally, two different departments in the same building and region.

It's amazing how easy it is to distinguish between the two.

The "Teaching" professors use uppity language and always seem to have a need to let you know how smart they are.
                The "Extension" professors speak plain English and are far more interested in letting you know how willing they are to help you solve problems.

The "Teaching" professors seem to think that the more high-falutin' language they use, the more they will be seen as "smart".
                The "Extension" professors are far more interested in communicating complex concepts in easy to understand conversation, including hands-on demonstrations.

I could go on, but I think I've made the point.
                Smart folk should seek to explain themselves in a manner that people can understand. The personages with a propensity for ferreting hapax legomenons to spanghew at opportune moments strikes me as being apprehensive with respect to how others perceive them.

Comment

Smart folk should seek to explain themselves in a manner that people can understand. The personages with a propensity for ferreting hapax legomenons to spanghew at opportune moments strikes me as being apprehensive with respect to how others perceive them.
                  Speak splain!!!!

I've told the story before...

I was having breakfast at the Texan Cafe in Huntsville, and a couple little old blue-haired ladies were at the table next to me.
                  They were talking about their Senior Adult Sunday School class, so my ears perked up.

One of them said, "I just love our teacher - he is absolutely BRILLIANT, and really knows the Bible". The other one said, "yes, he's so smart I don't even understand what he's saying!"

If he was REALLY smart, he'd be able to convey the teaching in such a manner that the students would actually learn something.

Comment

roguetech labs & bait shop isn't just your home for brain and eye bleach products. We also supply bomb shelters, which you can use to avoid all sorts of attacks that might be soon raining down on you.
                    I don't know, that would be the perfect job for Hypatia...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

What you are seeing is an Ego thing. I saw it plenty in my time in the military. It's essentially a $$$$ measuring tactic. People with certain ego's use what they are good at as a means of judging others. Often their entire judgement of the worth of someone was based entirely on what they themselves were good at. A gym rat judged others by how fit they were. A person who wasn't fit was worthless, even if they could run circles around others in the actual job field they had.

I now see the same thing in other settings. If someone with an Ego problem has a good <thing> they judge others by that <thing>. If the person is rich, they judge others by their $, and poor people are trash. If that someone is "woke" they judge others by their virtue signaling, and if you aren't woke enough, you are trash.

In this case, Hypatia has an expansive vocabulary. She throws that around as a way of stroking her own ego. Making you look up an obscure word is her way of showing that she's "better than you". Most often, she throws it out after she's lost a debate. Essentially, it's her way of flexing and going:

Comment

Lemme 'splain how this works...

When you kick somebody out of your thread, then you continue to address them, it can be considered an invitation for them to return.
                        I cannot compel you to leave the thread but it seems you just can't resist replying to me.

A) I'm fully aware that I can start a thread on any topic I wish within the decorum of this board.
                        Then why not go off and do so?

2) I have no desire to explore the extent to which you may or may not be a pervert - others here are well aware of posts you made that opened that door.
                        Then why raise the allegation?

C) Somebody who has to keep defending their "smartness" generally doesn't appear as smart as they wish to appear.
                        I do not keep defending my smartness. Yet again you exaggerate.

Having an education is no substitute for common sense, the ability to use logic or reason, or the ability to clearly communicate, all of which you seem to lack
                        The subtext of which means that you do not agree with my opinions. Indeed you use the same tactics of derision and the employment of pejorative remarks to other individuals who express opinions that you do not share. Perhaps it is your defence mechanism.

I know a lot of people who have tons of book learning, but haven't got the common sense God gave a piss ant. :Shrug:
                        I am sure you do
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Now see, this is why it is clear that following the evidence to wherever it goes is an alien concept to you. You are already predetermining what evidence you want examined and followed.
                          Premised on what you wrote in response to my post I merely corrected your misunderstanding of the word haruspex. As I informed you "following the evidence to where it goes" is not the definition of that word.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That said, I do believe this seems a bit of an overreach in prosecutorial discretion.
                            Given that the state child services agency found no wrong doing, I would agree. What she experienced at the hands of an over-zealous DA has resulted in her suffering PPD and difficulty in bonding with her child.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I cannot compel you to leave the thread but it seems you just can't resist replying to me.
                              Sure I can. But I'll post when and where I want within the decorum of the board.

Then why not go off and do so?
                              None of your buisiness.

Then why raise the allegation?
                              It is hereby dropped.

I do not keep defending my smartness. Yet again you exaggerate.

The subtext of which means that you do not agree with my opinions. Indeed you use the same tactics of derision and the employment of pejorative remarks to other individuals who express opinions that you do not share. Perhaps it is your defence mechanism.
                              Cool.

I am sure you do
                              Now, ya got anything of substance?

Comment

Given that the state child services agency found no wrong doing, I would agree. What she experienced at the hands of an over-zealous DA has resulted in her suffering PPD and difficulty in bonding with her child.
                                Would you like me to correct the deceptive thread title for you?

Comment