Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama is prosecuting a mom for taking prescribed medication while pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

As previously noted the op-ed is about pregnant women and pregnancy is one of the main themes of The Handmaid's Tale which is set in a repressive and authoritarian regime that subjugates women, which appears to be something the state of Alabama is also trying to do with respect to pregnant women.
    You make it sound like the woman was virtuous for "being honest", but she apparently refilled the prescription and started taking the meds without notifying her doctor.

It appears it was after the fact that she informed him. That's on her.

There is a SEVERE opioid problem, particularly in the South, and many jurisdictions are locked in a "zero tolerance" response. I'm not a fan of zero tolerance.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As previously noted the op-ed is about pregnant women. Pregnancy is one of the main themes of The Handmaid's Tale which is set in a repressive and authoritarian regime that subjugates women, which is something the state of Alabama also appears to be trying to do with respect to pregnant women.
      So now you are admitting that you were likening Alabamastan to a Handmaid's Tale.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        So now you are admitting that you were likening Alabamastan to a Handmaid's Tale.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You make it sound like the woman was virtuous for "being honest", but she apparently refilled the prescription and started taking the meds without notifying her doctor.

There is a SEVERE opioid problem, particularly in the South, and many jurisdictions are locked in a "zero tolerance" response. I'm not a fan of zero tolerance.
          Zero tolerance is almost never a good idea no matter what the subject. It is a mindless knee-jerk response effectively designed to allow folks to be lazy.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Indirectly, that way she can claim that she really wasn't doing the comparison and you are just making stuff up. If you'll notice she rarely if ever DIRECTLY states anything. She asks leading or rhetorical questions instead of making direct claims. When challenged, she says she never made the direct claim and it's on you for inferring what she intended you to infer from her indirectness.

Comment

Zero tolerance is almost never a good idea no matter what the subject. It is a mindless knee-jerk response effectively designed to allow folks to be lazy.
              EGGzackly. It requires judgment and condemnation and denies mercy and understanding. It doesn't trust people to exercise good judgment.

Comment

Did you really not read the article?
                I did, but I was unclear on that point. I appreciate your concern, but Cow Poke was kind enough to provide clarification.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I did, but I was unclear on that point. I appreciate your concern, but Cow Poke was kind enough to provide clarification.
                  So the thread title, unsurprisingly, is misleading. It wasn't just that she took the meds while pregnant, but that she had the prescription refilled and took the meds while pregnant (without notifying her doctor).

Had she notified her doctor prior to refilling the scrip, he/she may have prescribed something less damaging to the child.

Comment

I am "admitting" nothing. However, it is clear that you do not seem to recognise subordinate clauses or the use of qualifying phrases.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Yet as the article notes "She gave birth to a healthy baby boy soon after, this past September. Out of caution, she told her doctor about medications she had taken during pregnancy – including the hydrocodone. That’s where the trouble started. After her son tested positive for hydrocodone, an investigation was launched. The state child services agency found no wrongdoing, but the local police and district attorney pressed on." In other words unnecessary interference on the part of the DA and the police into a situation where no wrongdoing had been identified.

A situation of serious concern but entirely irrelevant to Ms Blalock's case.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am "admitting" nothing. However, it is clear that you do not seem to recognise subordinate clauses or the use of qualifying phrases.
                        You're right. You aren't "admitting" anything. You never, ever do. Instead you are just blatantly contradicting yourself.

Comment

The woman should have just visited an abortionist and then HA would have nothing to complain about.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

You're right.
                            I also appear to be right in that you do not have much understanding of complex sentences and the basic rules of grammar and syntax.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              The woman should have just visited an abortionist and then HA would have nothing to complain about.
                              On the contrary. Ms Blalock has other children and wanted her baby. You appear to have an idiosyncratic attitude towards parenthood.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

On the contrary. Ms Blalock has other children and wanted her baby. You appear to have an idiosyncratic attitude towards parenthood.

This has nothing to do with the fact that she has other children. It is a comment on your misandry.

I’m afraid you are the idiosyncratic one in this thread.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment