Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama is prosecuting a mom for taking prescribed medication while pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The law is the law. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Do tell us what you think was incorrect concerning Ms Blalock's experience. Are you personally acquainted with her?

But WAIT, there's MORE....

Kim Blalock, who says she has chronic back pain, battled excruciating aches during her most recent pregnancy, so she turned to painkillers prescribed by her doctor, hoping for relief.

Instead, the 36-year-old mother of six has endured a distressing ordeal: Her baby tested positive for the opioid, which precipitated an investigation that led an Alabama prosecutor to charge Blalock with prescription fraud in a case her attorneys say is an unprecedented violation of a pregnant woman’s privacy and freedoms. Lauderdale County District Attorney Chris Connolly said this is the first time he has prosecuted a pregnant woman refilling her prescription as fraud.
      “I’m not a crusader,” he told The Washington Post. “I’m not looking to make precedent about this, but the facts are the facts. Our position is that she concealed the material fact from her doctor that she was pregnant in order to continue to get hydrocodone.”

This new punitive step in Alabama, the state with the nation’s harshest statute against drug use during pregnancy, is part of policies set by dozens of states that researchers say are “divorced from health care.”

The case, which was first reported by al.com, comes at a time when officials are wary of pain pills in the wake of a nationwide epidemic of addiction and overdose deaths, leaving chronic pain patients like Blalock at odds with the crackdown on opioid prescribing.

A) Just as I stated, this is "in the wake of a nationwide epidemic of addiction and overdose deaths", which is relevant to this case.
      2) She's not being arrested for "taking the drugs", but for prescription fraud - that she concealed the material fact from her doctor that she was pregnant in order to continue to get hydrocodone.

That said, I do believe this seems a bit of an overreach in prosecutorial discretion.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But WAIT, there's MORE....

Kim Blalock, who says she has chronic back pain, battled excruciating aches during her most recent pregnancy, so she turned to painkillers prescribed by her doctor, hoping for relief.

Instead, the 36-year-old mother of six has endured a distressing ordeal: Her baby tested positive for the opioid, which precipitated an investigation that led an Alabama prosecutor to charge Blalock with prescription fraud in a case her attorneys say is an unprecedented violation of a pregnant woman’s privacy and freedoms. Lauderdale County District Attorney Chris Connolly said this is the first time he has prosecuted a pregnant woman refilling her prescription as fraud.
        “I’m not a crusader,” he told The Washington Post. “I’m not looking to make precedent about this, but the facts are the facts. Our position is that she concealed the material fact from her doctor that she was pregnant in order to continue to get hydrocodone.”

This new punitive step in Alabama, the state with the nation’s harshest statute against drug use during pregnancy, is part of policies set by dozens of states that researchers say are “divorced from health care.”

The case, which was first reported by al.com, comes at a time when officials are wary of pain pills in the wake of a nationwide epidemic of addiction and overdose deaths, leaving chronic pain patients like Blalock at odds with the crackdown on opioid prescribing.

A) Just as I stated, this is "in the wake of a nationwide epidemic of addiction and overdose deaths", which is relevant to this case.
        2) She's not being arrested for "taking the drugs", but for prescription fraud - that she concealed the material fact from her doctor that she was pregnant in order to continue to get hydrocodone.

That said, I do believe this seems a bit of an overreach in prosecutorial discretion.
        It was also discovered because the baby tested positive for it, not because she admitted to having taken it.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          It was also discovered because the baby tested positive for it, not because she admitted to having taken it.
          I tend to agree, but I'm seeing some conflicting reporting -- that the baby was tested because she admitted to her doctor, so... I really don't know.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wait, are you telling me that Hypatia, and her source might have left out specific details in order to paint a slanted picture of what really happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              But, but but.... I didn't see that stop sign!!!!

Comment

No you are quite wrong, "following the evidence to where it goes" is not the definition of a haruspex.

Now see, this is why it is clear that following the evidence to wherever it goes is an alien concept to you. You are already predetermining what evidence you want examined and followed.

One who follows the evidence follows ALL of the evidence. And that is usually easier said than done, because you can quickly find yourself traveling on a path you do not like. But if you are really interested in what is true[1], then that doesn't dissuade you.

This is the approach that a scientist is supposed to take, and should be adopted by anyone interested in facts, evidence and the conclusions one can draw from them.

And speaking of which here is a small selection of quotes from some noted scientists on that subject which might clarify what I'm saying a bit more:
                • "If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties." --Francis Bacon in Book I of The Advancement of Learning 1605
                • "I keep my theories on the tips of my fingers so that the merest breath of fact can blow them away." --Michael Faraday
                • "I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free so as to give up any hypothesis, however much beloved, as soon as the facts are opposed to it." --Charles Darwin (who also wrote: "A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections - a mere heart of stone.")
                • "Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abysses nature leads, or you shall learn nothing." --Thomas Henry Huxley
                • "The hallmark of science is not the question 'Do I wish to believe this?' but the question 'What is the evidence?' It is this demand for evidence, this habit of cultivated skepticism, that is most characteristic of the scientific way of thought." --Douglas Futuyma
                • "A scientist should every morning eat one of his favorite theories for breakfast." --Konrad Lorenz
                • "Any real systematist [or scientist in general] has to be ready to heave all that he or she believes in, consider it crap, and move on, in the face of new evidence." --Mark Norell (in his Unearthing the Dragon)
                • "In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day." --Carl Sagan

1. just to make it clear, I have no interest in a philosophical debate over the nature or definition of truth.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  1. just to make it clear, I have no interest in a philosophical debate over the nature or definition of truth.
                  John 18:38

Comment

Oh look CD has posted a very large image.
                    I posted your flag.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I posted your flag.
                      This is about me, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

John 18:38
                        Quite literally echoing in my head as I wrote that.

But the song version from the play Jesus Christ Superstar which was based on John.

What can I say? The songs were really catchy.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Either way, the thread title is, unsurprisingly, bogus.

Comment

Quite literally echoing in my head as I wrote that.
                            How can it not?

But the song version from the play Jesus Christ Superstar which was based on John.

What can I say? The songs were really catchy.
                            I always come back to the "I Am" statements of Jesus, my favorite of which are the trilogy "the Way, the Truth and the Life".

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              And yet numerous cases have been dismissed if the person charged can demonstrate that the average person would not be aware that a specific action was unlawful and thought that they were acting in a legal manner.

Comment

And yet numerous cases have been dismissed if the person charged can demonstrate that the average person would not be aware that a specific action was unlawful and thought that they were acting in a legal manner.
                                True but here, she stopped taking them because she knew they were a problem
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment