Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A personal proposition to extend US democracy and improve civics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

There have been several coherent arguments put forward, but you have characteristically dismissed them with the wave of a hand.

But since someone brought up the shareholder analogy, let's explore that:

Suppose someone regularly shops at Walmart. Because he is a "settled" customer, he demands the same voting privileges as a fully vested shareholder. Let's suppose Walmart considers his request to have merit and so grants all "settled" customers voting rights in company business. Now suppose those "settled" customers start voting for proposals that benefit them but are bad business, and shareholders lose their shirts. As Walmart is forced to reduce the quality of its operation to compensate, the "settled" customers become disenchanted and decide to leave the consequences of their bad voting decisions behind them and start shopping at Menards instead.

And that's why you don't allow someone who is not fully vested to vote.
    A very feeble analogy.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Then your opinion remains an uninformed opinion!
      And your opinions are misinformed opinions.

Or perhaps it might be construed as simply prejudice.
      No, darlin', that would be you.

One of us actually lives, works and pays taxes in this country, and is apprised of our laws and Constitutional rights and responsibilities.
      That would be me.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And your opinions are misinformed opinions.
        Unfortunately, that is merely your opinion and given that you have stated you "don't need "evidence" for my opinion " it likewise remains an uninformed opinion.

One of us actually lives, works and pays taxes in this country, and is apprised of our laws and Constitutional rights and responsibilities.
        That you live, work and pay taxes within the USA does not automatically make you an informed individual about Constitutional rights and responsibilities.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Unfortunately, that is merely your opinion and given that you have stated you "don't need "evidence" for my opinion " it likewise remains an uninformed opinion.
          Your lawjuk is horrible --- that I don't need "evidence" does not mean there is none.

That you live, work and pay taxes within the USA does not automatically make you an informed individual about Constitutional rights and responsibilities.
          Again, horrible lawjuk....

One of us has been a sworn law enforcement officer, IS a current citizen, regularly participates in naturalization ceremonies, has a degree in criminal justice, and continues to serve in various law enforcement roles in the United States.
          One of us has never been a citizen of the US, and regularly demonstrates ignorance of our laws, way of life, customs, and just reads stuff on the internet from left-wing sources. (that would be you)

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One of us has been a sworn law enforcement officer, IS a current citizen, regularly participates in naturalization ceremonies, has a degree in criminal justice, and continues to serve in various law enforcement roles in the United States.
            None of which automatically makes you competent in any of them.

One of us has never been a citizen of the US, and regularly demonstrates ignorance of our laws, way of life, customs,
            That makes the USA sound like some hitherto unknown culture that has yet to make contact with the outside world.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

She opines that it is just good civics to allow [and encourage] people to feel they have a sense of investment in their towns, communities, cities, and the country. Furthermore, and given that the US permits dual citizenship thereby allowing those who hold dual citizenship to vote from abroad, she asks why foreign residents in the US should be not likewise be represented?
              I"m sorry Hypatia, you are wrong the US does not allow dual citizenship. I ought to know my husband who was born in Germany because his father was stationed there held dual citizenship becuase Germany allows it but at age 18 in accordance with U.S law in order to vote he had to make a choice renounce his German Citizenship or not vote in our elections as a U.S. Citizen, same with the son and daughter of close friends of ours who's father was stationed in Wales when they were born.

Comment

None of which automatically makes you competent in any of them.

That makes the USA sound like some hitherto unknown culture that has yet to make contact with the outside world.
                I'll concede that the crazy lady who wrote the article has a right to express her nutty opinion, which goes against the very Constitution of the USA.

Comment

From the OP....

She acknowledges concerns among Republicans and that while, initially, Democrats would most probably be the biggest beneficiaries of such a change, it could encourage elected Republicans to appeal to a more diverse constituency, and/or perhaps encourage their supporters to vote in greater numbers. In other words, it is possible that allowing those 15 million extra voters would benefit both major parties and possibly even the smaller ones such as the Libertarians or Greens.

A) Democrats would most probably be the biggest beneficiaries of such a change
                  2) it could encourage elected Republicans to appeal to a more diverse constituency,

So, there ya have it --- Democrats would get more votes, and it would force Republicans to give up their convictions in hopes of groveling to a wider audience.

The pinko-commying of the US!

Thanks, but no.

Comment

A very feeble analogy.
                    Which should mean it will be very easy for you to dismantle rather than just give your typical baseless dismissals. In fact, generally when you issue one of your little hand waves that typically means you can't present a coherent rebuttal -- or even that you never even bothered to read it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Which should mean it will be very easy for you to dismantle rather than just give your typical baseless dismissals. In fact, generally when you issue one of your little hand waves that typically means you can't present a coherent rebuttal -- or even that you never even bothered to read it
                      That, or she goes into "X" doesn't necessarily prove "Y" ---- she just LOVES derailing threads.

Comment

A very feeble analogy.
                        Not that you bothered to explain why.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Not that you bothered to explain why.
                          Hence, the very essence of "hand waved away".

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Interesting, I just looked into this author because I've never heard of her.

She's not even a US citizen, and on a cursory search doesn't appear to even live in the US that I can see.

In addition, it appears she has Canadian, Swiss, and Iranian citizenship. Yet somehow is upset that a country would require citizenship to vote in national elections.
                            A more thorough search beyond Wiki reveals she lives in the US and has lived here for 17 years (yet hasn't apparently applied for citizenship......????). Apparently, she says so in the article (behind a paywall for me,so I couldn't see it).

And even more searching reveals that Canada, Switzerland, and Iran, do not allow non-citizens to vote for federal elections/referendums/etc.. She is a citizen of all of these, and as far as I can tell has never written an Op-Ed in any papers in those countries demanding they allow non-citizens to vote. Yet in the country she lives in and earns her money in and yet has not bothered to become a citizen of, we get this. Very very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

A more thorough search beyond Wiki reveals she lives in the US and has lived here for 17 years (yet hasn't apparently applied for citizenship......????). Apparently, she says so in the article (behind a paywall for me,so I couldn't see it).

And even more searching reveals that Canada, Switzerland, and Iran, do not allow non-citizens to vote for federal elections/referendums/etc.. She is a citizen of all of these, and as far as I can tell has never written an Op-Ed in any papers in those countries demanding they allow non-citizens to vote. Yet in the country she lives in and earns her money in and yet has not bothered to become a citizen of, we get this. Very very interesting.
                              H_A's kind of gal! She sure can pick 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

I"m sorry Hypatia, you are wrong the US does not allow dual citizenship. I ought to know my husband who was born in Germany because his father was stationed there held dual citizenship becuase Germany allows it but at age 18 in accordance with U.S law in order to vote he had to make a choice renounce his German Citizenship or not vote in our elections as a U.S. Citizen, same with the son and daughter of close friends of ours who's father was stationed in Wales when they were born.
                                That was not me, I was quoting the article. However, thank you for the clarification.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment