Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Latest "Second Class Citizens" - the Unvaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

My friend is A+.

I just read two WebMD articles, one from March 3 of this year, the other a month later, April 5. The first cited a study giving "further" evidence that blood type likely matters, with type A being more at risk. The second said that blood type does not seem to matter at all.
    Yup - finding the same thing. Contradictory information, "this is the science".. um... "except a new study"... "what we told you yesterday has been updated..."
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The point being that while an unvaccinated individual might have mild, or even no, symptoms themselves they could potentially cause another individual with whom they came into contact to become seriously ill, or even die,.
      That's true for any number of diseases, so should we receive every vaccine currently known "just in case"? Should we voluntarily socially distance and wear (useless) masks for the rest of our lives "just in case"? How far should we be expected to go to theoretically protect someone else?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That's true for any number of diseases,
        Such as?

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Such as?
          The flu, HIV, Other STD's.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

My friend is A+.

I just read two WebMD articles, one from March 3 of this year, the other a month later, April 5. The first cited a study giving "further" evidence that blood type likely matters, with type A being more at risk. The second said that blood type does not seem to matter at all.
            The contradictory information doesn't help, but keep in mind much of this is the result of taking very preliminary testing and having the resulted exaggerated and hyped.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Such as?
              Seriously? Are you really not aware of other communicable diseases that could prove fatal to someone under the right conditions?

Oh, and I suspect a computer malfunction caused the rest of my post and your reply to it to be deleted. Try posting it again. Thanks.

Comment

The latest vax info from Dr. Dach. (Yeah, yeah, he's a quack, blah blah.)
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yup - finding the same thing. Contradictory information, "this is the science".. um... "except a new study"... "what we told you yesterday has been updated..."
                  Mr. Catholicity and I got our shots at the same time. However, I am not a bit concerned that there are people reserved about getting the vaccine. Because so much of it really does seem political, to the point where it's aggravating.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Seriously?
                    Yes. What other major diseases extant in the USA that may cause death or serious and long-term health risks and for which there are vaccines available is a vaccine not offered to the general public in the US?

As to your comment on masks. Why do you imagine some medical procedures [and in lab work] require the wearing of masks/visors?

Are you of the opinion that the masks worn by surgeons and their teams in operating theatres are purely for show?

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yes. What other major diseases extant in the USA that may cause death or serious and long-term health risks and for which there are vaccines available is a vaccine not offered to the general public in the US?

As to your comment on masks. Why do you imagine some medical procedures [and in lab work] require the wearing of masks/visors?

Are you of the opinion that the masks worn by surgeons and their teams in operating theatres are purely for show?
                      The primary purpose of masks is to prevent (some) droplets of saliva from being projected from one's mouth, but studies show they do almost nothing to stop a virus, because viruses are much smaller than the weave of a mask. Let's put it this way: you don't want a sick surgeon operating on you even if he is wearing a mask.

As for diseases in the US that could prove fatal under the right conditions, take your pick. Even the yearly flu could fall into this category. Are you suggesting that we should all be compelled to get the yearly flu vaccine on the the chance that we could become sick and pass it on to someone else who could become seriously ill? As I asked before, how far should we be expected to go to theoretically protect someone else?

Comment

The primary purpose of masks is to prevent (some) droplets of saliva from being projected from one's mouth, but studies show they do almost nothing to stop a virus, because viruses are much smaller than the weave of a mask. Let's put it this way: you don't want a sick surgeon operating on you even if he is wearing a mask.
                        That did not address my question. Why, in your opinion, do surgical teams wear face masks?

Of course among the general public wearing face masks is not in, and of itself, a panacea but it helps in conjunction with other preventative measures such as regular hand-washing and social distancing.

A study in 2020 https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...8FD63073F3BDB3 states in its abstract:

The use of face masks is proven to be effective in protecting health-care workers as they perform their duties. Still, there is limited evidence about whether the widespread use of face mask would be very useful in protecting the general population. This study aimed to conduct a review to determine if face masks would be beneficial in the general population as a means of reducing the spread of COVID-19. The widespread implementation of wearing face masks by the general population is challenging due to a variety of factors. However, the extensive use of cloth masks in conjunction with other preventative measures such as social distancing and handwashing can potentially reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19.

[My emphasis]

That same study also notes that:

The major limitation of this study was the scarcity of publications that focused on the use of face masks by the general public for the prevention of the transmission of COVID-19. Also, there was a lack of studies that looked at the use of face masks in the general population to prevent the spread of respiratory diseases; rather studies focused on prevention in health-care workers and hospital settings.

And in its Conclusion:

There is not enough scientific evidence to justify whether the wearing of face masks in the general population would reduce the spread of COVID-19. However, time is not on our side as COVID-19 is spreading rapidly through various parts of the world. The wearing of face masks or cloths combined with previous recommendations such as regular handwashing and social distance can further reduce the spread of COVID-19, as a protective mask may reduce the likelihood of infection, but not eliminate the risk for the transmission of COVID-19. While there is inconclusive evidence that the widespread use of face masks or cloth face coverings by the general population would decrease the spread of COVID-19, it should be considered given the seriousness of the current pandemic.

In other words being over-cautious is preferable to being blasé.

As for diseases in the US that could prove fatal under the right conditions, take your pick. Even the yearly flu could fall into this category. Are you suggesting that we should all be compelled to get the yearly flu vaccine on the the chance that we could become sick and pass it on to someone else who could become seriously ill? As I asked before, how far should we be expected to go to theoretically protect someone else?
                        Inviting me to take my pick and then only citing influenza does not give me a great deal of choice.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That did not address my question. Why, in your opinion, do surgical teams wear face masks?
                          I did answer your question. The primary purpose of masks is to prevent (some) droplets of saliva from being projected from one's mouth, but studies show they do almost nothing to stop a virus, because viruses are much smaller than the weave of a mask. Let's put it this way: you don't want a sick surgeon operating on you even if he is wearing a mask.

Comment

I did answer your question. The primary purpose of masks is to prevent (some) droplets of saliva from being projected from one's mouth, but studies show they do almost nothing to stop a virus, because viruses are much smaller than the weave of a mask. Let's put it this way: you don't want a sick surgeon operating on you even if he is wearing a mask.
                            Not meaning to derail (who am I kidding?), but I recently received a picture supposedly of someone trying to vaccinate you and I was seeking confirmation.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That is a general statement that does not address surgical teams. Furthermore, members of that surgical team may [in all probability will] be carrying various viruses. So why do they bother with masks?

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is a general statement that does not address surgical teams. Furthermore, members of that surgical team may [in all probability will] be carrying various viruses. So why do they bother with masks?
                                Same reason they scrub up and wear the gloves and gowns and headgear and shoe covers - they don't want to contaminate the patient.

With regards to masks, it's not the virus they're attempting to block, but the salivary microbiome that may be expelled as they speak to the other medical professionals while standing OVER the patient where droplets of would naturally fall (gravity) onto the patient and potentially into the surgical site which is open to the air.

You know, trying to maintain a sterile environment.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment