Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Latest "Second Class Citizens" - the Unvaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That's what I meant but didn't say.

Thanks.
    I suspected you knew that.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I suspected you knew that.
      Only because they seriously screwed up when my mother gave birth to my brother the hospital listed her as having negative blood type. When I was born the doctor told her she was positive, causing her to ask if it could have changed.

The doctor had the lab double check and she was indeed positive. Good think she didn't need to give her a transfusion at some point before I was born.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Only because they seriously screwed up when my mother gave birth to my brother the hospital listed her as having negative blood type. When I was born the doctor told her she was positive, causing her to ask if it could have changed.

The doctor had the lab double check and she was indeed positive. Good think she didn't need to give her a transfusion at some point before I was born.
        I used to be an avid blood donor - easily in the gallon club each year - but then I went on a mission trip to Haiti, and in the face of the HIV panic, I was prohibited from contributing blood because of that association.

I simply got out of the habit.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

And as I pointed out given the existence of the human virome then, according to you, the use of masks in an operating theatre is rendered ineffectual. So why do surgical teams persist in wearing them?
          How bout just being a big girl and admit this was a really really dumb argument?

You CAN'T be so stupid as to actually believe that surgical masks used by surgeons in surgery are intended to prevent the transmission of virus.

Comment

I used to be an avid blood donor - easily in the gallon club each year - but then I went on a mission trip to Haiti, and in the face of the HIV panic, I was prohibited from contributing blood because of that association.

I simply got out of the habit.
            And you let me slide with typing think instead of thing.

1. I'm proud to see you finally growing up.

b) I miss being able to get a rise out of you.

III: I didn't mean to type think instead of thing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wow.... you just can't fix stupid! But, again, not sure if it's stupidity or dishonesty.

A surgeon is most likely standing directly over, and focused upon an open wound (or surgical site in the human body) which makes it incredibly susceptible to contamination from saliva and other agents, which contain germs and bacteria. That's the reason for the mask. It is not intended to stop the transmission of virus.
              The rest of the theatre staff are not. Yet they also wear masks.

How bout just being a big girl and admit this was a really really dumb argument?

You CAN'T be so stupid as to actually believe that surgical masks used by surgeons in surgery are intended to prevent the transmission of virus.
              I have never stated that wearing surgical masks during surgery will "prevent the transmission of virus" [sic].

I have pointed out that in operating theatres all staff wear masks and not just the surgeon[s] working on the patient. I have also written that while the wearing of face masks among the general public is not in, and of itself, a panacea it it helps when used in combination with other preventative measures such as regular hand-washing and social distancing.

I also cited an academic paper. Or perhaps you consider that it too is presenting a "really dumb argument".

That paper acknowledged, "The major limitation of this study was the scarcity of publications that focused on the use of face masks by the general public for the prevention of the transmission of COVID-19. Also, there was a lack of studies that looked at the use of face masks in the general population to prevent the spread of respiratory diseases; rather studies focused on prevention in health-care workers and hospital settings."

In its Conclusion it noted "There is not enough scientific evidence to justify whether the wearing of face masks in the general population would reduce the spread of COVID-19. However, time is not on our side as COVID-19 is spreading rapidly through various parts of the world. The wearing of face masks or cloths combined with previous recommendations such as regular handwashing and social distance can further reduce the spread of COVID-19, as a protective mask may reduce the likelihood of infection, but not eliminate the risk for the transmission of COVID-19. While there is inconclusive evidence that the widespread use of face masks or cloth face coverings by the general population would decrease the spread of COVID-19, it should be considered given the seriousness of the current pandemic."

In other words being over-cautious is preferable to being blasé.

"It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

The rest of the theatre staff are not. Yet they also wear masks.
                It's operating room protocol.

And for reasons I very patiently explained, trying not to use big words or confusing concepts.

Any of the other persons in the operating room may be required to work over the patient, as well, providing suction, clamping, packing...

Have you ever watched any medical shows?

Comment

I have never stated that wearing surgical masks during surgery will "prevent the transmission of virus" [sic].
                  You have a "tell". Whenever you are caught saying something dumb, you launch into this "I never said", decrying something nobody said you said.

You have clearly implied that the reason that masks are worn in surgery is to prevent the transmission of virus, as you have linked it to your belief that masks prevent transmission of virus.

Seriously ---

lemme try something....

CP IS MANUFACTURING A QUOTE FROM H_A as a suggestion for what she ought to say. This is not what she said, but what she SHOULD say.

I'm ready to admit that my reference to a surgical setting and the wearing of masks is not a very good argument at all relative to trying to prove that masks prevent the spread of virus.
                  EGGcellent! Now let's move on from that silly argument to more substantive ones!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I never said that masks are ineffectual. I said they can't stop viruses, and that you wouldn't want a sick surgeon operating on you.
                    Can I assume from that remark that you regularly wear a face mask when out and about?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You have a "tell". Whenever you are caught saying something dumb, you launch into this "I never said", decrying something nobody said you said.

You have clearly implied that the reason that masks are worn in surgery is to prevent the transmission of virus, as you have linked it to your belief that masks prevent transmission of virus.

Seriously ---

lemme try something....

CP IS MANUFACTURING A QUOTE FROM H_A as a suggestion for what she ought to say. This is not what she said, but what she SHOULD say.

EGGcellent! Now let's move on from that silly argument to more substantive ones!
                      No you are inventing something I have neve written. Now what do we call that?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Seriously ---

lemme try something....

Find where I have categorically written that I believe face masks prevent the transmission of viruses. I'll wait.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Find where I have categorically written that I believe face masks prevent the transmission of viruses. I'll wait.
                          Find where I have categorically written that you said face masks prevent the transmission of viruses. I won't bother waiting because I know you can't.

Seriously, you do this stupid thing all the time.... you make an implication, get called on it, then challenge somebody to prove you said something we never claimed you "categorically wrote".

The surgery suite is not a good example of why people should wear masks in the current COVID panic. Totally different animal.

Comment

Find where I have categorically written that you said face masks prevent the transmission of viruses. I won't bother waiting because I know you can't.
                            You made this claim

"You have clearly implied that the reason that masks are worn in surgery is to prevent the transmission of virus, as you have linked it to your belief that masks prevent transmission of virus."

Now off you go and find where exactly I have categorically written any such thing.

Seriously, you do this stupid thing all the time. You make things up premised on subjective inference without any actual corroborative evidence and assert that your assumption is what the person intended.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You made this claim

"You have clearly implied that the reason that masks are worn in surgery is to prevent the transmission of virus, as you have linked it to your belief that masks prevent transmission of virus."

Now off you go and find where exactly I have categorically written any such thing.

Seriously, you do this stupid thing all the time. You make things up premised on subjective inference without any actual corroborative evidence and assert that your assumption is what the person intended.
                              Perhaps you should Google the difference between "implied" and "categorically written"?

You brought up surgical masks in a surgery suite in an APPARENT attempt to prove they are effective at blocking the transmission of viruses.
                              If that wasn't your point, then why did you bring it up?

Comment

....Now off you go and find where exactly I have categorically written any such thing...

And you wonder why I address you as Princess. Do you get the vapors when you make such demands?

Comment