Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Latest "Second Class Citizens" - the Unvaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Same reason they scrub up and wear the gloves and gowns and headgear and shoe covers - they don't want to contaminate the patient.

With regards to masks, it's not the virus they're attempting to block, but the salivary microbiome that may be expelled as they speak to the other medical professionals while standing OVER the patient where droplets of would naturally fall (gravity) onto the patient and potentially into the surgical site which is open to the air.

You know, trying to maintain a sterile environment.
    Yet MM thinks masks are ineffective.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Did you even read Cow Poke's post? Here's what he said:

"With regards to masks, it's not the virus they're attempting to block, but the salivary microbiome that may be expelled as they speak to the other medical professionals while standing OVER the patient where droplets of would naturally fall (gravity) onto the patient and potentially into the surgical site which is open to the air."

and here's what I said:

"The primary purpose of masks is to prevent (some) droplets of saliva from being projected from one's mouth, but studies show they do almost nothing to stop a virus, because viruses are much smaller than the weave of a mask. Let's put it this way: you don't want a sick surgeon operating on you even if he is wearing a mask."

We're saying exactly the same thing.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"With regards to masks, it's not the virus they're attempting to block, but the salivary microbiome that may be expelled as they speak to the other medical professionals while standing OVER the patient where droplets of would naturally fall (gravity) onto the patient and potentially into the surgical site which is open to the air."

and here's what I said:

"The primary purpose of masks is to prevent (some) droplets of saliva from being projected from one's mouth, but studies show they do almost nothing to stop a virus, because viruses are much smaller than the weave of a mask. Let's put it this way: you don't want a sick surgeon operating on you even if he is wearing a mask."

And as I pointed out given the existence of the human virome then, according to you, the use of masks in an operating theatre is rendered ineffectual. So why do surgical teams persist in wearing them?
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Same reason they scrub up and wear the gloves and gowns and headgear and shoe covers - they don't want to contaminate the patient.

With regards to masks, it's not the virus they're attempting to block, but the salivary microbiome that may be expelled as they speak to the other medical professionals while standing OVER the patient where droplets of would naturally fall (gravity) onto the patient and potentially into the surgical site which is open to the air.

You know, trying to maintain a sterile environment.
          A guy named Lister is credited with being the father of antiseptic surgery[1]. The story of it and the widespread ridicule and opposition he originally faced makes for a great story. This was the era when surgeons often boasted of how many unwashed bloodstains were on their surgical gowns as a way of illustrating their experience

1. although not the only one. The noted physician Ignaz Semmelweis was advocating washing your hands (even under the fingernails) around the same time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not sure if you're really that ignorant or simply dishonest --- the wearing of the mask by a surgeon has nothing to do with the transmission of a (or any) virus.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

and here's what I said:

Yup. You know how she always complains about the reading comprehension of others?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And as I pointed out given the existence of the human virome then, according to you, the use of masks in an operating theatre is rendered ineffectual. So why do surgical teams persist in wearing them?
                I never said that masks are ineffectual. I said they can't stop viruses, and that you wouldn't want a sick surgeon operating on you.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

On an entirely unscientific observation type thing --- almost all of the people I know who are of the "second class" (get it?) above are O+. (Wife, daughter and myself included)
                  You too? Hit me up if you ever need some blood.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Wow.... you just can't fix stupid! But, again, not sure if it's stupidity or dishonesty.

A surgeon is most likely standing directly over, and focused upon an open wound (or surgical site in the human body) which makes it incredibly susceptible to contamination from saliva and other agents, which contain germs and bacteria. That's the reason for the mask. It is not intended to stop the transmission of virus.

Comment

I never said that masks are ineffectual. I said they can't stop viruses, and that you wouldn't want a sick surgeon operating on you.
                      The Hypocritic oath saying, "first, do no harm", it is incumbent upon the surgeon to do whatever is in his power not to infect his patient.

In the case of germs and bacteria - scrub up, gown up, mask up, footies and headdress.
                      In the case of virus - if he's infected, he need stay out of the operating room entirely - a mask will not protect his patient.

I think she knows she posed a really stupid analogy and just doesn't have the decency to admit it.

Comment

Yup. You know how she always complains about the reading comprehension of others?
                        Only when she gets caught contradicting herself and the like.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Likewise!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Y'all are compatible with any positive blood type.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Y'all are compatible with any positive blood type.
                              According to the red cross....
                              • Those with O positive blood can only receive transfusions from O positive or O negative blood types.
                              • Type O positive blood is one of the first to run out during a shortage due to its high demand
                              We are universal donors, but not universal receivers.

Comment

According to the red cross....
                                • Those with O positive blood can only receive transfusions from O positive or O negative blood types.
                                • Type O positive blood is one of the first to run out during a shortage due to its high demand
                                We are universal donors, but not universal receivers.
                                That's what I meant but didn't say.

Thanks.

Comment