Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ashli Babbitt’s Mom Speaks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

    Correct - she should have been arrested and prosecuted.



    Don't know anything about that one.
    It was a case a few years ago where a black man got pulled over for a routine traffic offense. The man said upfront that he was carrying a concealed weapon, so the officer pulled out his own gun, and accidentally shot him. The fact that he happened to have marijuana in the car (unrelated to why he was pulled over) got brought up against him.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

      It was a case a few years ago where a black man got pulled over for a routine traffic offense. The man said upfront that he was carrying a concealed weapon, so the officer pulled out his own gun, and accidentally shot him. The fact that he happened to have marijuana in the car (unrelated to why he was pulled over) got brought up against him.
      Ah! Yeah, totally beside the point. Thanks for splainin.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

      Comment


      • #18
        I have to admit that I too would be calling for them to reveal the name of the officer, if I thought he had done anything wrong.

        Comment


        • #19
          Has it occurred to anyone that given the depth of feeling concerning this incident among some Americans, it has been deemed judicious to withhold the name of the officer in order to protect both him and his immediate family?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

          Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Has it occurred to anyone that given the depth of feeling concerning this incident among some Americans, it has been deemed judicious to withhold the name of the officer in order to protect both him and his immediate family?
            Sounds like a good Idea...I wonder why that's not done for cops that BLM decides to protest?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              It's not controversial (at least it shouldn't) that she shouldn't have been in the Capitol to begin with, but that doesn't matter.
              I wonder if someone said that George Floyd shouldn't have been a counterfeiter, passing phony $20 bills, in response to his death, if you would react in the same manner.

              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I wonder if someone said that George Floyd shouldn't have been a counterfeiter, passing phony $20 bills, in response to his death, if you would react in the same manner.
                One might likewise pose the question that had those who entered the Capitol on 6 January been a crowd [some of whom appear to have been armed] of BLM supporters whether you would be condemning the shooting by an officer of one of their number.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

                Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

                  Sounds like a good Idea...I wonder why that's not done for cops that BLM decides to protest?
                  In what regard?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

                  Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                    One might likewise pose the question that had those who entered the Capitol on 6 January been a crowd [some of whom appear to have been armed] of BLM supporters whether you would be condemning the shooting by an officer of one of their number.
                    No weapons. That's why they had to focus on the clown with a bunch of zip ties instead.

                    And nobody deserves to be shot down for merely climbing through a broken window. While it is legal for a homeowner to do so if they felt that their life was endangered, this unarmed woman posed no threat to the armed trigger happy cop.

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      No weapons. That's why they had to focus on the clown with a bunch of zip ties instead.
                      That is debatable.

                      https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...ction/#sources

                      https://www.npr.org/2021/03/19/97787...-say-they-used

                      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      And nobody deserves to be shot down for merely climbing through a broken window.
                      Breaking and entering? With a crowd behind them?

                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

                      Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Pelosi's clown show in Congress is bringing up every repeatedly disproven fairy tale (even the terminally rebutted claim that Sicknick died as a result of hitting over the head with a fire extinguisher), and yet no mention of anyone armed. Why do you think that is?

                        Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                        Breaking and entering? With a crowd behind them?
                        And there was no indication that the crowd was following. B&E is a nonviolent misdemeanor often associated with trespassing.

                        This is something to keep in mind the next time you wail about someone who had committed a crime getting shot and killed by a cop.

                        I'm always still in trouble again

                        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                          Breaking and entering? With a crowd behind them?
                          Police were standing directly behind that crowd, behind her in particular. The person who shot nearly hit them.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

                            Police were standing directly behind that crowd, behind her in particular. The person who shot nearly hit them.
                            And AFAICT (we need Cow Poke or myth to verify) police are trained to never start shooting in situations like that unless the person is an immediate and deadly threat -- which nobody can seriously claim she was

                            I'm always still in trouble again

                            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Pelosi's clown show in Congress is bringing up every repeatedly disproven fairy tale (even the terminally rebutted claim that Sicknick died as a result of hitting over the head with a fire extinguisher), and yet no mention of anyone armed. Why do you think that is?
                              There is plenty of reportage that individuals were armed in various ways. Whether you wish to accept that or not is entirely another matter.


                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And there was no indication that the crowd was following.
                              Well they would have had to either completely take down the door or do as she did and climb through the broken glass pane.

                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              B&E is a nonviolent misdemeanor often associated with trespassing.
                              Yet I understand that that an intruder may be shot if they are entering a property "uninvited".

                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              This is something to keep in mind the next time you wail about someone who had committed a crime getting shot and killed by a cop.
                              Is this another of your "senior moments"?

                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

                              Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                No weapons.
                                "Mark Ibrahim of Orange County, Calif., who joined the pro-Trump crowd outside the Capitol while armed with his DEA-issued pistol, faces felony charges of entering a restricted area with a weapon, possession of a firearm on Capitol grounds and lying to investigators..."

                                https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ol-riot-500316
                                "We will repeal and replace disastrous Obamacare." - Donald Trump on July 22, 2016
                                "I never said repeal and replace Obamacare." - Donald Trump on March 24, 2017

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Sparko, Today, 08:10 AM
                                2 responses
                                37 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Gondwanaland  
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, 09-19-2021, 07:03 PM
                                5 responses
                                53 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 09-19-2021, 12:34 PM
                                19 responses
                                155 views
                                2 likes
                                Last Post Mountain Man  
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 09-19-2021, 10:21 AM
                                6 responses
                                98 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Ronson, 09-17-2021, 08:16 PM
                                14 responses
                                118 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Cow Poke  
                                Working...
                                X