Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fish Racism!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

You can't really ignore the effects of race if you want to understand why native fishes are not being properly managed, and how to fix the problem.
    wowzer. That flipped quickly from you claiming she didn't say anything about racism, to defending her paper's claim that naming fish is racist. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      "Sushi" sounds too Asian. We should call it "raw fish meat" instead.
      Eh?

Or translate the word into English -- but then again "sour tasting" probably won't sell well.
      Eh?
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Eh?

Eh?
        sushi.jpg

Although I understand it is usually translated as "sour rice."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Although I understand it is usually translated as "sour rice."
          Modern Japanese writes sushi as ateji* 寿司 or 壽司 (though I've never seen the second one actually used)。Checking the dictionaries gives "vinegared rice" - so - against all expectation, "sour rice" is good. The second character of the word is an interesting find: tsukasa** (person officiating in religious ceremonies: usually a woman), the name of one of my all time favourite anime characters.

(*written for sound instead of meaning)

Nishino Tsukasa

Nishino Tsukasa.jpg

nb: raw fish meat prepared for eating is sashimi.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

another one:

cb0685ce-ce65-4b45-9a9e-1f3e5a24f770.jpg

and again...

3rd.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

wowzer. That flipped quickly from you claiming she didn't say anything about racism, to defending her paper's claim that naming fish is racist. LOL.
              You have a weird definition of "racist". The fact that whites value different fish than minorities does not make anyone racist. The fact that whites dominated the management of freshwater fisheries is not racist. The fact that they use pejoratives for fish that they consider to have low value is not racist. The subsequent damage to the populations of these fish is not racist.

The only ones calling any of this racist are an intern at the Federalist and people who pay attention to him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                "Literally means" in this context refers to the word's etymology. Using "literally" in the same way, "terrific" literally means instilling or inspiring terror, in the same way that "horrific" means instilling or inspiring horror. I have never heard anyone use "terrific" according to its literal etymological meaning, though I have read it with that meaning in newspaper articles dating to and referring to the Titanic sinking.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

You have a weird definition of "racist". The fact that whites value different fish than minorities does not make anyone racist. The fact that whites dominated the management of freshwater fisheries is not racist. The fact that they use pejoratives for fish that they consider to have low value is not racist. The subsequent damage to the populations of these fish is not racist.

The only ones calling any of this racist are an intern at the Federalist and people who pay attention to him.

Comment