Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Select Committee Hearing on January 6th riot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A) I really really don't care about your goofy attempts to separate yourself from your own Country's hellish past.
    2) In fact, I have to remind myself that most people in your country are NOT the kind of dishonest you are.

You asked questions. I gave you something to read.

Now perhaps you could explain why you never mentioned the other five million or so innocents murdered by the Nazis.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Define "Nazi Germany". Seriously. It was YOUR COUNTRY. People who were not "Nazis" were also complcit in this army from Hell. Your country elected this psycho. Your country allowed him to rise to power. Your country was the cess pool from which this horrendouns death spread.

All you're doing is trying to pretend it wasn't "the German people", but "those Nazis".
      While that's true about the German people elected and enabled the Nazis and Hitler, once they were in power the ordinary German people were treated nearly as badly as the Nazi's treated the Poles and French when they took those countries over. My mom told me some horror stories growing up during the war (she was born in 1936). The Nazis would take food from them, took children and forced them into Hitler Youth, and put Nazi school teachers in charge of indoctrinating the kids of the village. After the war the townspeople rounded up the teachers and the Nazi collaborators and rode them out of town literally tarred and feathered. And none of them knew anything about the concentration death camps although they knew that the Nazis had rounded up the Jews and they didn't want to be next. After the war the American soldiers took the German people and made them go into the concentration camps and witness what had gone on under their noses. My mom grew up not too far from Dachau. She remembered that well even though she was only 9 or 10 at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        You asked questions. I gave you something to read.
        My error - I shouldn't engage seriously with a dishonest

Now perhaps you could explain why you never mentioned the other five million or so innocents murdered by the Nazis.
        Perhaps you clould explain why you habitutally derail virtually every thread you enter.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Except that I have always condemned the Nazis.. Some here seem less willing to condemn their country's past behaviours.
          We weren't speaking on whether you have condemned Nazis. We were speaking on your "Attempting to exonerate your country for its many despicable and atrocious past behaviours"

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

We weren't speaking on whether you have condemned Nazis. We were speaking on your "Attempting to exonerate your country for its many despicable and atrocious past behaviours"
            Except that I am not "Attempting to exonerate your country for its many despicable and atrocious past behaviours". Although some Americans appear to be trying to.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Except that I am not "Attempting to exonerate your country for its many despicable and atrocious past behaviours".
              Why would you want to exonerate our country?

Comment

Except that I am not "Attempting to exonerate your country for its many despicable and atrocious past behaviours". Although some Americans appear to be trying to.
                Hogwash.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

While that's true about the German people elected and enabled the Nazis and Hitler, once they were in power the ordinary German people were treated nearly as badly as the Nazi's treated the Poles and French when they took those countries over. My mom told me some horror stories growing up during the war (she was born in 1936). The Nazis would take food from them, took children and forced them into Hitler Youth, and put Nazi school teachers in charge of indoctrinating the kids of the village. After the war the townspeople rounded up the teachers and the Nazi collaborators and rode them out of town literally tarred and feathered. And none of them knew anything about the concentration death camps although they knew that the Nazis had rounded up the Jews and they didn't want to be next. After the war the American soldiers took the German people and made them go into the concentration camps and witness what had gone on under their noses. My mom grew up not too far from Dachau. She remembered that well even though she was only 9 or 10 at the time.
                  Remember my Police Story about the old German guy I had in custody for driving drunk? I learned quite a bit about Germany from his perspective as a tank commander in the German army. His own brother had been shot in the back for trying to leave the German army, and he was threatened with the rape of his daughters if he didn't deliver for Hitler. I sat with him for over 3 hours, amazed at his account of WWII.

Comment

Remember my Police Story about the old German guy I had in custody for driving drunk? I learned quite a bit about Germany from his perspective as a tank commander in the German army. His own brother had been shot in the back for trying to leave the German army, and he was threatened with the rape of his daughters if he didn't deliver for Hitler. I sat with him for over 3 hours, amazed at his account of WWII.
                    My grandfather was drafted into the German army. He got captured pretty quickly (maybe he just surrendered?) and spent the war at a POW camp in New Jersey. Said he was treated well and was glad he didn't have to fight for the bleeping Nazi's. He also said that if he didn't join the German Army they would have taken his house and his children. Most of the regular German soldiers were not Nazi's, just the officers mostly and the SS.

Comment

My grandfather was drafted into the German army. He got captured pretty quickly (maybe he just surrendered?) and spent the war at a POW camp in New Jersey. Said he was treated well and was glad he didn't have to fight for the bleeping Nazi's. He also said that if he didn't join the German Army they would have taken his house and his children. Most of the regular German soldiers were not Nazi's, just the officers mostly and the SS.
                      Yeah, my German Tank Commander (Panzer) friend surrendered to the allies, and he also said he was treated better by "the enemy" than he was "his own people", so he set out to live in America.

He's the guy who hanged himself in our jail cell, and the family sued our department - and ME - for wrongful death because the dispatcher neglected to remove the old guy's belt.

When I was being deposed, accused of adding stress to this man's life, I was able to tell my story of the old guy's war exploits, his hometown, his work as a young farm implement repairman, his two marriages.... Even though he was "under arrest" by me, he was, to me, a nice old guy who had too much to drink, and bumped his car into a telephone pole.

I never got called to testify, and the charges against me mysteriously disappeared. He honestly reminded me of my own Dad, but on the other side of the war.

Comment

Even a lot of officers were just going through the motions not wanting to get shot or sent to the Russian front.

One of the biggest concerns among the Western Allies after the war was how readily the German population was to shift any and all responsibility onto the Nazis and deny their complicity.

That wasn't us. That was the Nazis.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Even a lot of officers were just going through the motions not wanting to get shot or sent to the Russian front.

One of the biggest concerns among the Western Allies after the war was how readily the German population was to shift any and all responsibility onto the Nazis and deny their complicity.

That wasn't us. That was the Nazis.
                          They definitely enabled Hitler to get to power and cheered him on when he started out blaming the Jews for all their ills. But after that I think they realized too late what a monster they helped create and they regretted it. I bet a lot of the cheering of Hitler you see on those newsreels of the war was more out of fear than love.

Comment

They definitely enabled Hitler to get to power and cheered him on when he started out blaming the Jews for all their ills. But after that I think they realized too late what a monster they helped create and they regretted it. I bet a lot of the cheering of Hitler you see on those newsreels of the war was more out of fear than love.
                            Or more out of racism and antisemitism than love. He was dealing with "the Jewish problem".

Comment

• By the way, the County I live in in Texas has a LARGE number of Germans and German ancestry in it. Our Church's street name is German. Many of our landmarks have German names.

About 30 miles from our Church is a congregation that, up until just 9 years ago, was still conducting all of their Baptist Church services in German.

One of the little old ladies who was a member back in the war days said, "we became VERY patriotic to America during those days!!!!"

Comment

Or more out of racism and antisemitism than love. He was dealing with "the Jewish problem".
                                yep. From what I have read/seen the Krystallnacht was instigated by Hitler but carried out by not only storm troopers but a civilian mob, going after jews and smashing shops and burning, looting (remind you of anything in the last year?)

Comment