Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Select Committee Hearing on January 6th riot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Select Committee Hearing on January 6th riot

The first sitting of the Select Committee Hearing is now being broadcast live on TV. The evidence presented thus far, both video and first person accounts by police officers, is both fascinating and horrifying.

The irony, of course, is that the video footage taken by the rioters will be used as evidence against them, which will result in many hundreds of Trump supporters spending many years in prison.
    Last edited by Reepicheep; 07-27-2021, 10:32 AM.
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

The melodrama from the left can be cut with a knife.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The melodrama from the left can be cut with a knife.
      Do you believe that the footage being shown is fake, and that the police officers who are testifying are lying?
      "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Select committee. Keyword is "select" as in Nancy Pelosi specifically selected those for the committee who are most likely to reach the conclusion the Democrats want. A number of Republicans who have proven themselves to be excellent litigators were rejected because they indicated they would judge based on facts rather than the Democrat agenda.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
          The first sitting of the Select Committee Hearing is now being broadcast live on TV. The evidence presented thus far, both video and first person accounts by police officers, is both fascinating and horrifying.

The irony, of course, is that the video footage taken by the rioters will be used as evidence against them, which will result in many hundreds of Trump supporters spending many years in prison.
          Yet not a single one with an insurrection charge....
          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 07-27-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Do you believe that the footage being shown is fake, and that the police officers who are testifying are lying?
            The footage looked pretty peaceful compared to the mostly-peaceful protests we saw all last year....

Comment

I think they are exaggerating for effect. One of them said the riot was worse than him being in Iraq.
              They also used loaded language like "terrorists" to describe the rioters. Their statements were obviously written by liberal lawyers for effect.

Comment

No. I don't recall anyone here ever saying that the actual rioting that took place for a couple of hours was acceptable in any way. In fact, I daresay, that we want anyone who committed actual serious crimes to be prosecuted regardless of where or when it took place. And regardless of whether they're rightwing, leftwing, or just opportunistic thugs.

It's a little thing called equal justice. The concept originates from the 14th Amendment.
                Even inscribed on the front of the U.S. Supreme Court Building

Liberals, at one time, used to be all for it. But now they prefer the concept that originated in Animal Farm (their how to guide for governance)

30575186._SY540_.jpg
                And of course they are those "some animals"

Moreover, take any week last Summer and I can find you things that were worse during those "mostly peaceful protests" that were quietly swept under the rug by Democrat DAs that often reduce charges before declaring that the charges are too minor to bother with, and focus on something, that while obviously wrong, was at it worst not as bad as some of the things happened last year.

Maybe, for a change they might talk to some of the federal agents stationed in say Portland and ask them about their experiences. Just in Portland, of the approximately 140 federal agents assigned to guard the federal courthouse (since the local cops had been ordered to stand down) there were at least 277 injuries (IIRC, those are ones requiring medical attention). But nothing to see there, right?

Finally, of the hundreds arrested among the two leftwing mobs that stormed the capitol in 2018 (one, during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings, and another, led by AOC to besiege Pelosi in her office), I wonder how many of them were ever prosecuted as compared to those who ended up getting all charges dismissed.

I'd really be interested to know just how long were the prison sentences handed out to those who forced their way into that elevator with then Sen. Jeff Flake not allowing him to either leave or the elevator to move -- literally holding a Senator hostage -- until they could coerce through physical intimidation a promise to ask the FBI to do yet another background check into Kavanaugh (that yet again found nothing)? Which federal penitentiary are they serving time in?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think they are exaggerating for effect. One of them said the riot was worse than him being in Iraq.
                  They also used loaded language like "terrorists" to describe the rioters. Their statements were obviously written by liberal lawyers for effect.
                  If it was the first Gulf War, he might be right about that

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Select committee. Keyword is "select" as in Nancy Pelosi specifically selected those for the committee who are most likely to reach the conclusion the Democrats want. A number of Republicans who have proven themselves to be excellent litigators were rejected because they indicated they would judge based on facts rather than the Democrat agenda.
                    Has there ever been a case where the leader of one party selected who would be on a committee from the other party?

Comment

"many hundreds" --- "many years"?

Do you know what "many" means? Times a hundred?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hopefully, they won't try to resurrect the "capitol officer bludgeoned to death with a fire extinguisher" lie. That was bullcorn from the gitgo.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Finally, of the hundreds arrested among the two leftwing mobs that stormed the capitol in 2018 (one, during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings, and another, led by AOC to besiege Pelosi in her office), I wonder how many of them were ever prosecuted as compared to those who ended up getting all charges dismissed....
                          For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Wait!!! That actually HAPPENED?????

You'd never know it from the MSM!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            If it was the first Gulf War, he might be right about that
                            Comparing the capitol riot with a war zone and claiming it was worse is not only top notch Drama Queenery, it is a slight against anyone who had to fight in a war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Wait!!! That actually HAPPENED?????

You'd never know it from the MSM!
                              The mob besieging the Kavanaugh hearings (even getting now VP Harris angry with her fellow travelers) was hard to ignore since the hearings were covered live by many stations. And the MSM absolutely adored those that physically intimidated Flake.

The AOC-led mob didn't get much coverage though.

Comment