Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Olympic ratings crash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen much of the Olympics this year, unfortunately. I have fond memories of the London Olympics in 2012, which was the last time I remember being proud of my country, regardless of the relatively strong outing of 'Team GB' that year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I would have thought more freedom of movement would given a slight advantage to the bikinis. Although I guess more skin hitting the sand would not be too pleasant.

Either way, it's still a stupid rule.
      It's the other way around though - shorts are freer to move in - you don't have to worry about losing them when you dive for the ball. Although granted the tops are far worse about coming off.

And yeppers.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Think of the loser you must feel like being a man who can't compete against women. Historic moment? More like historic failure. All is right in the world.

Transgender Olympian Weightlifter Knocked Out Of Competition Early

New Zealand weightlifter Laurel Hubbard, the first openly transgender athlete to compete at the Olympics, has been eliminated from the women's super heavyweight weightlifting competition.

Hubbard failed to complete any of her three lifts during the event.
        Hubbard failed on her first attempt to get 120-kg above her head, bailing out early. On her second attempt at 125kg, she was able to get the weight up and pumped her fist after in satisfaction, however, judges ruled it a "no lift."

She returned quickly for another attempt at 125kg only to fail to be able to stand up with the weight above her head. Hubbard was the only one of the 13 finalists to not complete at least one lift. -Yahoo Sports

After her third failed attempt, she stood up, made a heart sign with her hands, and mouthed "thank you" to the crowd. Even though she got beaten by biological women, she made history as the first transgender to compete in the Games.

The 43-year-old transgender generated tremendous attention in the run-up to the Games. Her inclusion in the Olympics was debated based on fairness to other competitors.

Hubbard said: "The Olympic Games are a global celebration of our hopes, our ideals, and our values."
        "I commend the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for its commitment to making sport inclusive and accessible," added said.

AFP provides several pictures of the transgender athlete crashing out of the Olympics.

Comment

He made history by being the first male to be beaten by a woman in the olympics.
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
            He made history by being the first male to be beaten by a woman in the olympics.
            It also shows that trans biological men won't necessarily completely dominate women's sports -- although a few have definitely broken records.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              It also shows that trans biological men won't necessarily completely dominate women's sports -- although a few have definitely broken records.
              Performance ability peaks in the mid-twenties. How many of the women competitors were over thirty years old? As opposed to this competitor's forty-three?
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

True, but it depends on their reason for doing it. Perhaps he knew, being a mediocre athlete, he could never compete against men, so he chose women. Only problem is, he underestimated his mediocrity.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Performance ability peaks in the mid-twenties. How many of the women competitors were over thirty years old? As opposed to this competitor's forty-three?
                  True but still ironic given we just had the oldest man to win a gold in weight-lifting, although only 37 years old.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

True but still ironic given we just had the oldest man to win a gold in weight-lifting, although only 37 years old.
                    Ironic is a good word for it.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So far, American millennials are getting owned in track and field. Is this a sign?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        More like:

curling-40753_1280.png
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          I seriously thought that was an abstract illustration of someone mopping the floor.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            And now we understand her fascination

Comment

Black woman wins gold for US in wrestling. Thanks God and country.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-winning-gold/

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Black woman wins gold for US in wrestling. Thanks God and country.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-winning-gold/

Which reminds me of all the pictures of Rapinoe kneeling while her black team mate stands up besides her.

It reveals that her fight has nothing to do with equality or justice, but is all about being the center of attention.

Comment