Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Olympic ratings crash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I'm sorry that I don't care.
    Quintessential Canuckistani

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yuh.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        So what's the deal with Norway's VB team? They got fined because they weren't naked enough?
        The basic idea of getting fined because they weren't naked enough is kind of true, but there's some misconceptions about what happened. Specifically...
        1) This was a beach handball team, not a beach volleyball team. They're separate sports, though they do have some similarities.
        2) This wasn't at the Olympics, but rather the European Beach Handball Championship that were held earlier this month (beach handball is not presently an Olympics sport).

The confusion probably comes from the fact beach handball isn't as well known as beach volleyball, and the fact the Olympics are currently going on makes people assume it's related to them.

As I understand it, wearing shorts doesn't break the rules for beach volleyball (at least the rules the Olympics has), even if it seems most of the competitors don't opt to do that. But beach handball is another matter. The rules for beach handball, at least those set by the International Handball Federation, mandate female players to wear bikini bottoms. The Norwegian team for one of the games opted to wear shorts instead, so they got fined for breaking the uniform rules.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I'm sorry that I don't care.
          I'm not.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            The basic idea of getting fined because they weren't naked enough is kind of true, but there's some misconceptions about what happened. Specifically...
            1) This was a beach handball team, not a beach volleyball team. They're separate sports, though they do have some similarities.
            2) This wasn't at the Olympics, but rather the European Beach Handball Championship that were held earlier this month (beach handball is not presently an Olympics sport).

The confusion probably comes from the fact beach handball isn't as well known as beach volleyball, and the fact the Olympics are currently going on makes people assume it's related to them.

As I understand it, wearing shorts doesn't break the rules for beach volleyball (at least the rules the Olympics has), even if it seems most of the competitors don't opt to do that. But beach handball is another matter. The rules for beach handball, at least those set by the International Handball Federation, mandate female players to wear bikini bottoms. The Norwegian team for one of the games opted to wear shorts instead, so they got fined for breaking the uniform rules.
            Thanks for the clarification. Just wondering what the purpose of that rule is.

A) It seems rather sexist.
            2) Wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms gives no advantage to the contestant, so...
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              Only thing I watch is Curling in the Winter Olympics these days.
              My favorite!

Dang, now I'm looking forward to it - but it's two years away...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

2) Wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms gives no advantage to the contestant, so...
                The only advantage is attracting male viewers, which is precisely why they do it.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The only advantage is attracting male viewers, which is precisely why they do it.
                  I honesty can't think of any other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    You and Teallaura should get together.
                    I'm amazed you remembered that.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Actually, it does. YOU try diving around on a sand dune wearing nothing but your panties - shorts are MUCH, MUCH easier to play in.

I played a bit (not competitively) in college.

The sexist part is requiring bikinis. It's not swimming - there's no point to being half naked.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post

Oh, that's different.

Stupid, but different.

Put your clothes on!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm not.
                          I'm not either, really. I just don't quite get the seeming angst about people expressing their opinions regarding sports.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I'm amazed you remembered that.
                            Someone who loves curling is different enough to stand out and be remembered. Same with Zymologist. Unicycles and sumo. How can you forget that?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Someone who loves curling is different enough to stand out and be remembered. Same with Zymologist. Unicycles and sumo. How can you forget that?
                              long-bob-curling-iron-782x439.jpg

Comment

Yeah, it's all about flashing more skin.

Comment