Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Olympic ratings crash...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    One theory of mine for lower ratings are that with the time zone difference between Tokyo and the US, there's a long delay between events happening and when they air. In the current information age, news breaks instantly. Yesterday's news that Simone Biles had dropped out and the US did not win gold in team gymnastics was making national headlines by morning, and it should come as no surprise that many people who already knew that didn't bother tuning in to watch that evening.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      One theory of mine for lower ratings are that with the time zone difference between Tokyo and the US, there's a long delay between events happening and when they air. In the current information age, news breaks instantly. Yesterday's news that Simone Biles had dropped out and the US did not win gold in team gymnastics was making national headlines by morning, and it should come as no surprise that many people who already knew that didn't bother tuning in to watch that evening.
      That would then suggest if folks here in the U.S. heard that American athletes performed well that viewership would increase. However, wasn't there supposed to have been a series of gold medal wins in men's swimming during when viewership was at its lowest?

      I'm always still in trouble again

      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        That would then suggest if folks here in the U.S. heard that American athletes performed well that viewership would increase. However, wasn't there supposed to have been a series of gold medal wins in men's swimming during when viewership was at its lowest?
        From my perspective, knowing that would also serve as a reason not to tune in. I'm not going to watch something where I know the end result.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

          Actually, it does. YOU try diving around on a sand dune wearing nothing but your panties - shorts are MUCH, MUCH easier to play in.

          I played a bit (not competitively) in college.

          The sexist part is requiring bikinis. It's not swimming - there's no point to being half naked.
          I would have thought more freedom of movement would given a slight advantage to the bikinis. Although I guess more skin hitting the sand would not be too pleasant.

          Either way, it's still a stupid rule.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

            I would have thought more freedom of movement would given a slight advantage to the bikinis. Although I guess more skin hitting the sand would not be too pleasant.

            Either way, it's still a stupid rule.
            Better than the way the original Olympics were held.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

              Better than the way the original Olympics were held.

              True, very true.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

                Better than the way the original Olympics were held.
                Of course that was men only. I don't think that women were even allowed to watch.

                I'm always still in trouble again

                "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

                  Better than the way the original Olympics were held.
                  Although having young, fit athletes competing in the buff would certainly be ratings bonanza.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God


                  From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                    Although having young, fit athletes competing in the buff would certainly be ratings bonanza.
                    So much for the Senior Olympics!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                      Although having young, fit athletes competing in the buff would certainly be ratings bonanza.






                      It would definitely eliminate coverage of all weight lifting events.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post






                        It would definitely eliminate coverage of all weight lifting events.
                        Let's just say that not all fit, young athletes are created equal.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God


                        From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Interesting story:

                          In 2019, an Iranian athlete in judo was ordered to intentionally lose a match so he would not have to compete against somebody from Israel. He fled the country in protest, and eventually became a citizen of Mongolia. He won a silver medal for Mongolia this week.

                          https://www.timesofisrael.com/winnin...dal-to-israel/
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Interesting story:

                            In 2019, an Iranian athlete in judo was ordered to intentionally lose a match so he would not have to compete against somebody from Israel. He fled the country in protest, and eventually became a citizen of Mongolia. He won a silver medal for Mongolia this week.

                            https://www.timesofisrael.com/winnin...dal-to-israel/
                            See, that's the kind of "feel good" stories we expect from the Olympics, not "woke" athletes disrespecting their own country, or complaining that it's too hot.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God


                            From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                              See, that's the kind of "feel good" stories we expect from the Olympics, not "woke" athletes disrespecting their own country, or complaining that it's too hot.
                              Complaining about the heat was something virtually everyone did back when the Olympics was in Mexico City (1968). So that's really nothing new.

                              And that was also the Olympics where the two black American track stars held up their fists in a black power salute during the awarding ceremony.

                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Complaining about the heat was something virtually everyone did back when the Olympics was in Mexico City (1968). So that's really nothing new.

                                And that was also the Olympics where the two black American track stars held up their fists in a black power salute during the awarding ceremony.
                                The more things change, the more they stay the same.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God


                                From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Sparko, Today, 08:10 AM
                                2 responses
                                37 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Gondwanaland  
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, 09-19-2021, 07:03 PM
                                5 responses
                                53 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 09-19-2021, 12:34 PM
                                19 responses
                                155 views
                                2 likes
                                Last Post Mountain Man  
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 09-19-2021, 10:21 AM
                                6 responses
                                98 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Ronson, 09-17-2021, 08:16 PM
                                14 responses
                                118 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Cow Poke  
                                Working...
                                X