Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mostly peaceful protests, riots and rebellion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mostly peaceful protests, riots and rebellion

While most of the MSM has been working hard promoting the myth that the month's long violent rioting and looting we experienced last year was really "mostly peaceful protests" and what happened in Washington D.C. on January 6th was an attempted coup and unprecedented assault on the capitol (old Joe even declared it was worse than the Civil War), it appears that there are some on the left who are a bit perturbed by this narrative. Apparently they don't think that the BLM and antifa mobs got their just due. Those weren't "mostly peaceful protests" or even riots they declare. That was open rebellion and they're proud of it.

Last week on the NPR podcast they interviewed an African-American studies professor at Yale, Elizabeth Hinton, during a book club segment. Hinton was on promoting her book America on Fire: The Untold History of Police Violence and Black Rebellion Since the 1960s. Both Hinton and the host pushed the idea that this was open rebellion even naming the segment "Black Rebellion: Mass Violence and the Civil Rights Movement."

As the host, Danielle Kurtzleben, started the segment:

You talk about these clashes as rebellions -- and quite pointedly, not as riots. It's a very meaningful choice. It really kind of shapes how the reader perceives these clashes. Tell us more about how you made that choice, about the differentiation to you.

Personally I find it refreshing that not only are they not pretending that they were "mostly peaceful protests" and were calling it exactly what it was. Rebellion -- a.k.a., Insurrection.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

It doesn't matter to them what they call it, because in their minds their actions are fully justified, and their belief is validated by the prosecutors who refuse to hold them accountable.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

To me, it mostly looked like your typical mindless, loot-and-burn riots that seem to happen every couple of decades in black neighborhoods. The impetus being some real-or-perceived injustice that is blown out of proportion by the MSM, enraging gangbangers and low-information residents. Criminals taking advantage of that to loot and burn. Black business owners being hurt the most, but also residents who are not capable (or have trouble) traveling outside of those neighborhoods to shop for goods.

The only difference this time was a handful of idiot soy-boys tried to set up an autonomous zone in Seattle. Some rebellion. Like when my kids rebelled and refused to eat dinner, and an hour later they returned with their tails tucked in and rumbling stomachs.

No, the 2020 nonsense will go down in history looking very much like 1968 Watts or 1992 L.A. or 2014 Ferguson (and whichever "rebellions" I missed in between).

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        To me, it mostly looked like your typical mindless, loot-and-burn riots that seem to happen every couple of decades in black neighborhoods. The impetus being some real-or-perceived injustice that is blown out of proportion by the MSM, enraging gangbangers and low-information residents. Criminals taking advantage of that to loot and burn. Black business owners being hurt the most, but also residents who are not capable (or have trouble) traveling outside of those neighborhoods to shop for goods.

The only difference this time was a handful of idiot soy-boys tried to set up an autonomous zone in Seattle. Some rebellion. Like when my kids rebelled and refused to eat dinner, and an hour later they returned with their tails tucked in and rumbling stomachs.

No, the 2020 nonsense will go down in history looking very much like 1968 Watts or 1992 L.A. or 2014 Ferguson (and whichever "rebellions" I missed in between).
        Much of what it was the typical looting and rioting that erupts every so often (which many on the left likened to Reparations this time in spite of most of the businesses affected are minority owned), but there were several things that made it profoundly different.

For one, there were multiple incidents of attempted mass murder committed by the participants. Such as when they would barricade a federal building or police station, hoping to trap those inside when they set the building ablaze and kill those inside.

IIRC, the infamous image of the reporter from MSNBC standing in front of the police department building engulfed in fire proclaiming "I want to be clear on how I characterize this. This is mostly a protest. It is not generally speaking unruly" was the one where those trapped were texting and phoning their loved ones to say goodbye because they didn't think they would survive.
        It was also different in that these protestors seized city blocks and proclaimed them autonomous zones that were no longer under the jurisdiction of state or federal law. While police who were ordered to stand down watched as these thugs, which were armed with AR-15s shook down both businesses and anyone who entered for "donations."

And God help those who dared encroach "their turf" without their express approval. In Seattle, where rifles were even given to kids by a local rap star, in two separate incidents they shot and killed someone as they approached the Autonomous Zone. Same thing happened in Atlanta. When a mother tried to turn around in a parking lot after coming across a BLM/antifa roadblock, her car was riddled with bullets resulting in the death of her 8-year-old daughter.

Seizing city blocks. Declaring them autonomous zones. Patrolling them with armed thugs who shoot and kill people.

If that isn't the very description of an armed insurrection, then what is?

Oh.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Heck they set up "autonomous zones" and wanted to secede from the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Heck they set up "autonomous zones" and wanted to secede from the USA.
            Wish I had thought to mention that.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

[...]

It was also different in that these protestors seized city blocks and proclaimed them autonomous zones that were no longer under the jurisdiction of state or federal law. While police who were ordered to stand down watched as these thugs, which were armed with AR-15s shook down both businesses and anyone who entered for "donations."

And God help those who dared encroach "their turf" without their express approval. In Seattle, where rifles were even given to kids by a local rap star, in two separate incidents they shot and killed someone as they approached the Autonomous Zone. Same thing happened in Atlanta. When a mother tried to turn around in a parking lot after coming across a BLM/antifa roadblock, her car was riddled with bullets resulting in the death of her 8-year-old daughter.

Seizing city blocks. Declaring them autonomous zones. Patrolling them with armed thugs who shoot and kill people.

If that isn't the very description of an armed insurrection, then what is?

​​​​​​​

Comment

Yes, I mentioned the "autonomous zones" but I consider those a joke. That's why they all went scurrying back to mommy's basement once the soy milk and tofu ran out. They can also build box forts in their backyard and call that an "autonomous zone", but that is nearly the same thing. There is no autonomy when they are 100% dependent on the surrounding government.

Yes, there was a difference in that they were attacking government buildings and putting the lives of those inside in danger (I forgot about that). I do recall during the Rodney King riots that they attacked a police station as well, overturning police cars and throwing Molotov cocktails.

Comment

Yes, I mentioned the "autonomous zones" but I consider those a joke. That's why they all went scurrying back to mommy's basement once the soy milk and tofu ran out. They can also build box forts in their backyard and call that an "autonomous zone", but that is nearly the same thing. There is no autonomy when they are 100% dependent on the surrounding government.

Yes, there was a difference in that they were attacking government buildings and putting the lives of those inside in danger (I forgot about that). I do recall during the Rodney King riots that they attacked a police station as well, overturning police cars and throwing Molotov cocktails.
                The people who were gunned down in cold blood by the autonomous zone thugs probably have a very different view. As do those strongarm robbed by them when they demanded "donations."

Comment

It's the intent that counts right? That is what the liberals are arguing about the Capitol riot. They (the capitol rioters) had no chance to take over the government, yet the liberals are claiming that is what they intended to do so it was an "insurrection" - so, even if the BLM/Antifa had no real chance at seceding from the USA, they attempted to do just that. And in some cases the local city government went along with it and even made the police stay out of the zones. Those government officials should be tried for treason. They, government officials of the USA, betrayed their oaths of office.

Comment

It's the intent that counts right? That is what the liberals are arguing about the Capitol riot. They (the capitol rioters) had no chance to take over the government, yet the liberals are claiming that is what they intended to do so it was an "insurrection" - so, even if the BLM/Antifa had no real chance at seceding from the USA, they attempted to do just that. And in some cases the local city government went along with it and even made the police stay out of the zones. Those government officials should be tried for treason. They, government officials of the USA, betrayed their oaths of office.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      The people who were gunned down in cold blood by the autonomous zone thugs probably have a very different view. As do those strongarm robbed by them when they demanded "donations."
                      Gangsters. Lots of criminal activity.

Comment

I agree. The rioters on the frontlines were mostly criminals (the ones Rogue has mentioned). It is the local elected officials who either turned a blind eye or lent vocal support to these criminals who should be prosecuted (along with the criminals).

Comment