Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sentences handed out to January 6 rioters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So you can show, among the sentences handed out, words like sedition, riot, traitor, anarchy, insurrection.....? I keep missing those words.
    If you have evidence that Garret Miller is guilty of sedition, then you should certainly contact the FBI and offer your testimony. I personally have seen no evidence that a charge of sedition is justified in his case.

He has been charged with: Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Buildings or Grounds Without Lawful Authority; Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct on Capitol Grounds; Obstructing or Impeding Any Official Proceeding; Certain Acts During Civil Disorder; Threats in Interstate Commerce. I don't know the basis for that last charge (threats in Interstate Commerce), but it is pretty clear that he is guilty on all other counts. His jail term will likely be measured in years, although he is lucky that the assault he committed against the police officer was relatively minor (as I understand it, he shoved an officer, thereby knocking him to the ground).
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
      If you have evidence that Garret Miller is guilty of sedition, then you should certainly contact the FBI and offer your testimony. I personally have seen no evidence that a charge of sedition is justified in his case.....
      Woah, there, cowboy! You done gone off and shot before aiming!!!!

My point is that you CANNOT show me the words I listed in the sentencing about which you are crowing.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Garret Miller has been charged with:...Threats in Interstate Commerce. I don't know the basis for that last charge (threats in Interstate Commerce)
        I did some research into "threats in interstate commerce", and the charge has to do with threatening to kidnap, hurt, or kill an individual. In Miller's case, on January 6th he tweeted "Assassinate AOC", (Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez). In the days subsequent to January 6th, he also threatened to murder the officer who shot Ashli Babbitt. Depending upon the exact statute Miller is charged under, he could receive a maximum prison sentence of between 2 to 20 years. It was not particularly wise of Miller to issue either of these threats.

After his arrest, Miller issued a very lengthy apology which reads, in part:

“I was in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021, because I believed I was following the instructions of former President Trump and he was my president and the commander-in-chief. His statements also had me believing the election was stolen from him, Nevertheless, I fully recognize Joe Biden is now the President of the United States and that the election is over. Donald Trump is no longer president and I would not have any reason to continue to follow his lead.

“While I never intended to harm Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez nor harm any members of the Capitol police force, I recognize that my social media posts were completely inappropriate. They were made at a time when Donald Trump had me believing that an American election was stolen. I want to publicly apologize to Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez and the Capitol police officers. I have always supported law enforcement and I am ashamed by my comments.

“Nevertheless, what Donald Trump had been saying about the election really got to me and I felt I had to support him. Still, I recognize that I am solely responsible for my actions and that there are no excuses for what I did. I come from a good and supportive family. My parents and brothers do not deserve the pain I have caused them. I accept full responsibility for my actions and I am prepared to testify at any trial or Congressional proceeding,”
        I found reading about Miller to be a depressing experience. I think he is a sad and lonely individual who was happy to find a group he could belong to. I suspect the same can be said about many of the protestors. I think he is more deserving of pity than anything else, although I don't think his crimes can go unpunished.

Comment

I did some research into "threats in interstate commerce", and the charge has to do with threatening to kidnap, hurt, or kill an individual. In Miller's case, on January 6th he tweeted "Assassinate AOC", (Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez). In the days subsequent to January 6th, he also threatened to murder the officer who shot Ashli Babbitt. Depending upon the exact statute Miller is charged under, he could receive a maximum prison sentence of between 2 to 20 years. It was not particularly wise of Miller to issue either of these threats.

I found reading about Miller to be a depressing experience. I think he is a sad and lonely individual who was happy to find a group he could belong to. I suspect the same can be said about many of the protestors. I think he is more deserving of pity than anything else, although I don't think his crimes can go unpunished.
          Ah - so "the Trump made me do it" is an acceptable defence.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It's a tough defense to pull off but has been successful in the past.

And there was plenty of video of the rioters doing things like barricading people into buildings (usually police stations and government buildings) before setting them ablaze in hopes of committing mass murder. And, so far, I have heard of only one person being prosecuted for that and considering how often this sort of thing took place, exceptionally few people were even charged.
            They posted videos of themselves from their twitter and facebook accounts bragging about what they did (looting, firebombs, etc) so it should be easy to use that against them.

No to mention they arrested people on the street in the act, and later let them go. So "not being able to identify them" is a bad excuse.

Comment

We had 4 years of liberals tweeting about wanting to kill Trump. Why haven't they been arrested or charged?

screen_shot_2017-05-30_at_1.47.48_pm_-_h_2017.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                We had 4 years of liberals tweeting about wanting to kill Trump. Why haven't they been arrested or charged?
                You need to ask Trump that question. Wasn't he president at the time?

Comment

He doesn't control the DOJ. And, you might have forgotten, the psycho-vengeful Democrats were constantly trying to kick him out of office.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

While we're at it, we could go back and grab that Game of Thrones knob who created that image of George bush's head on a pike.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

While we're at it, we could go back and grab that Game of Thrones knob who created that image of George bush's head on a pike.
                      Hardly limited to that and nothing new...

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Liberals and Democrats regularly make references to killing Republican presidents and other politicians which are always hand waved away as "jokes" and the like. All one has to do is take a quick look back to George W. Bush's time in office.
                      • Right after Bush received the GOP Presidential nomination in 2000, CBSs "Late, Late Show" hosted by Craig Kilborn featured a video of Bush with the caption "Snipers Wanted."
                      • In 2003 comedian Rich Hall (best known for coming up with "sniglets" back in the 1980s on HBO's "Not Necessarily the News") wrote a song called "Lets get together and kill George Bush."
                      • The St. Petersburg (Florida) Democratic Club, an affiliate of the Democratic party in Florida, paid for an ad in a local newspaper in 2004 that contained the following line: "[Donald] Rumsfeld [has] said of Iraq, We have our good days and our bad days. We should put this S.O.B. up against a wall and say This is one of our bad days, and pull the trigger."
                      • A video game was released online in 2004 entitled "Kill Bush" where the object of the game was as you can guess to kill George W. Bush (not to be confused with the later games "Quest for Bush," released by al Qaeda, or "Bush Shootout" where you played Bush defending the White House against a never ending stream of masked attackers)
                      • Award winning novelist Nicholson Baker releases a book called Checkpoint which is about two people discussing about the advisability of killing Bush "for the good of humankind"
                      • In 2004 Charlie Brooker, British Columnist of the Year, wrote a column in the Guardian bemoaning the fact that Bush would likely win re-election where he said "John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr. where are you now that we need you?"
                      • In 2004 Randi Rhodes, a talk show host on the defunct liberal radio channel Air America, compared the Bush family to the fictitious Corleone family in the "Godfather" movies, and suggested that Bush should be assassinated: "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take him [President Bush] fishing and phew." Rhodes then imitated the sound of a gunshot and said, "Works for me." In "Godfather 2," Fredo Corleone is murdered at the end of the film on orders from his brother Michael.
                      • In 2005, Rhodes did it again during a Social Security reform bit on her program where an imaginary retiree from the fictional "American Association of Armed Retired People" says, "A spoiled child is telling us our Social Security isnt safe any more, so hes going to fix it for us. Well, heres your answer, you ungrateful whelp" and then four gunshots ring out. This was when Bush was proposing Social Security reform.
                      • Columbia College in Chicago put on an "art" exhibit in 2005 which featured a piece called "Patriot Act" which was a page of stamps showing a hand gun held up to George Bush's head[1]. The exhibit's curator, Michael Hernandez de Luna was outraged that the Secret Service investigated saying that the inquiry "frightens" him
                      • One of the least funny comedians ever Al Franken (who went on to become a U.S. Senator thank to voter fraud) went on "Late Show with David Letterman" in 2005 and then on the "Today" show the next morning and told a "joke" about Bush Administration officials Karl Rove and Scooter Libby being executed for treason in the Valerie Plame case (which got Matt Lauer and his crew laughing). It would later turn out that neither had anything whatsoever to do with the leak.
                      • In 2005 the online retailer CafePress featured several items under the caption "We can dream, can't we?" that all revolved around assassinating George Bush[2]
                      • Co-founder of Community of Peace People and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Betty Williams frequently expressed her desire to murder Bush including in 2006 where she said while mocking those who think she's somehow non-violent "Right now, I would love to kill George Bush" and then again in 2007 when she declared "I mean right now, I could kill George Bush, no problem."
                      • In 2007 then Senator John Kerry while a guest on Bill Maher's HBO show "Real Time" and discussing what he did for his wife's birthday had the following exchange concerning the former's assassinating Bush:
                        Maher: You could have went to New Hampshire and killed two birds with one
                        stone.
                        Kerry: Or, I could have gone to 1600 Pennsylvania and killed the real bird with one stone.

Kerry was so pleased with his "joke" that he immediately posted it on his website.[3]
                      • In 2007 an assassination fantasy film called "Death of a President" about killing George Bush at the Chicago Sheraton hotel was released which pleased liberals so much it received several awards.
                      • Democrat Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear told an audiance at a fundraiser in 2008 "When I mention that Democrats are problem solvers, I can think of only one Republican who can be a problem solver -- that is Vice President Dick Cheney if he would just take George on a hunting trip." The context of the remark is that in 2006, while quail hunting in Texas, Cheney accidentally shot his friend Harry Whittington.
                      • In 2012 the 10th episode of HBO's "Game of Thrones" featured a shot of George Bush's decapitated head on a stake

The point being that this is nothing new and is something not just tolerated by the left but actively supported and encouraged.

2. Here is just one of several products offered for sale:

3. This wasn't a first for Kerry who in 1988 joked about killing Vice President Dan Quayle: "Somebody told me the other day that the Secret Service has orders that if George Bush is shot, they're to shoot Quayle."
                      Last edited by rogue06; 08-07-2021, 06:55 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• So, STILL nothing in any of the sentencing about riots, insurrection, sedition, murder, mayhem, treason....?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          So, STILL nothing in any of the sentencing about riots, insurrection, sedition, murder, mayhem, treason....?
                          Just wait until the Democrat kangaroo court goes into session. I'm sure they'll find something (even if they have to invent it out of whole cloth).
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The President doesn't arrest people.

But nice attempt at a dodge.

Comment

• Still only six people sentenced as a result of the January 6 riot, but an additional 51 have pled guilty and are scheduled to be sentenced over the next six weeks or so. The most recent conviction is an interesting one: Jacob Chansley, better known as the QAnon Shaman.

In theory, he could be sentenced to 20 years in prison and a fine of $250,000. The prosecution and defense have agreed to a sentencing recommendation of between 41 to 51 months in jail and a fine in the range of $15,000 to $150,000.

Initially, his lawyer was arguing for leniency because his client was mentally ill. Interestingly, according to news reports, his family encouraged him to plead not guilty, since they still believe the QAnon theory that Trump will soon be reinstated as President and will pardon all of the January 6 rioters. If Chansley is mentally ill, then clearly the disease runs in his family.

Comment

Don't forget Johnny Depp: https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...sident-n775881

Comment