Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sentences handed out to January 6 rioters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I agree that until we start seeing more serious charges, calling January 6 an insurrection is a vast exaggeration.
    They are proving it by their luke warm prosecution.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I like how you draw attention to the punishments but not the actual nothing-burger charges. Now why would you do that?
      The subject of this thread is Sentences handed out to January 6 rioters. I hi-lite the sentences since that is the subject of this thread.

One reason these are "nothing-burger" charges is that all of them pled guilty, which often resulted in more serious charges being dropped.

Something to ponder. If rioters are being sentenced to 6 or more months in jail for "nothing-burger" charges that don't involve attacks on police officers or destruction of property, try to imagine the sentence those guilty of more serious charges will receive. Any rioter who was filmed smashing and climbing in through a window, or spraying mace into the face of an officer, or beating an officer with a club, can expect to spend years in jail.

"My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
      "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

The subject of this thread is Sentences handed out to January 6 rioters. I hi-lite the sentences since that is the subject of this thread.

One reason these are "nothing-burger" charges is that all of them pled guilty, which often resulted in more serious charges being dropped.

Something to ponder. If rioters are being sentenced to 6 or more months in jail for "nothing-burger" charges that don't involve attacks on police officers or destruction of property, try to imagine the sentence those guilty of more serious charges will receive. Any rioter who was filmed smashing and climbing in through a window, or spraying mace into the face of an officer, or beating an officer with a club, can expect to spend years in jail.
        Just imagine the sentence that would be handed out just in Portland alone, where of the approximately 140 federal agents assigned to guard the federal courthouse (since the local cops had been ordered to stand down) there were at least 277 injuries (IIRC, those are ones requiring medical attention and not just your minor lacerations and contusions).

That is if the Democrat DA didn't reduce the charges and then declare that the charges weren't worth pursuing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I hi-lite the sentences since that is the subject of this thread the charges don't support the liberal narrative of "insurrection".
          Edited for accuracy.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Something to ponder. If rioters are being sentenced to 6 or more months in jail for "nothing-burger" charges that don't involve attacks on police officers or destruction of property, try to imagine the sentence those guilty of more serious charges will receive.
            Have you ever been in court, or even watched TV shows with courtroom scenes? One of the major reasons that charges are reduced is because the prosecution knows it will be difficult to prove the original charge. Ponder that.

Any rioter who was filmed smashing and climbing in through a window, or spraying mace into the face of an officer, or beating an officer with a club, can expect to spend years in jail.
            You are now the official prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner?

That's not how it works in the US of A --- there's a charge, a prosecution, a trial, and a verdict.
            If the verdict is guilty, then there's a sentencing phase.
            The sentencing phase draws on a range of appropriate penalties, and "years in jail" is by no means automatic or even customary.

(by the way, if they are not "filmed doing it", are they scot free? )

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Still not seeing the words insurrection, rebellion, sedition in the charges you list. January 6 was just a riot and nothing more serious.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Still not seeing the words insurrection, rebellion, sedition in the charges you list. January 6 was just a riot and nothing more serious.
                Not even the word "riot" or "rioters", as in the thread title.

"Sentences were handed out" to the "rioters", but nothing is actually said in the sentencing about rioting.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Just imagine the sentence that would be handed out just in Portland alone, where of the approximately 140 federal agents assigned to guard the federal courthouse (since the local cops had been ordered to stand down) there were at least 277 injuries (IIRC, those are ones requiring medical attention and not just your minor lacerations and contusions).

That is if the Democrat DA didn't reduce the charges and then declare that the charges weren't worth pursuing.
                  At the Portland riots, the police were using mass arrests as a means of clearing the streets. The DAs decided that in many cases there was no possibility of convictions since the protestors were not guilty of anything and were exercising their basic civil right to protest.

Some looters are certainly going free, because the DAs decided there is insufficient evidence to obtain a conviction.

A main difference between Portland and the Capitol Building riots is that there are thousands of hours of high quality daytime video evidence of the Capitol Building riots, most taken by the rioters themselves, who after the riot admitted their guilt on their Facebook accounts and elsewhere.

Portland rioters who committed serious crimes are being found guilty. For example:

https://www.koin.com/news/protests/p...arson-assault/

Portland rioter gets 4 years for arson, assault

Cyan Bass tried to set the Justice Center on fire on September 23, 2020

Comment

At the Portland riots, the police were using mass arrests as a means of clearing the streets. The DAs decided that in many cases there was no possibility of convictions since the protestors were not guilty of anything and were exercising their basic civil right to protest.

Some looters are certainly going free, because the DAs decided there is insufficient evidence to obtain a conviction.
                    Agreed. So, please provide a list of the actual rioters and the sentences which they received.

A main difference between Portland and the Capitol Building riots is that there are thousands of hours of high quality daytime video evidence of the Capitol Building riots, most taken by the rioters themselves, who after the riot admitted their guilt on their Facebook accounts and elsewhere.

Yet, how many of them were actually sentenced for "rioting"?

Portland rioters who committed serious crimes are being found guilty. For example:

I withdraw my earlier questions. Thanks.

So, those were REAL rioters, and were charged and sentenced accordingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      They are being prosecuted for the sort of things that Democrat DAs reduced the charges to for BLM/antifa rioters and looters, and then turned around and declared that they aren't worth prosecuting or they were merely exercising their constitutional rights (prior to this I never knew that carrying a big screen TV out of a store you were looting is constitutionally protected).
                      I'm fully on board with prosecuting vigorously any actions that directly caused damage to property, injury to persons, or directly interfered with government business.

I'm much less in favor of prosecution for "trespassing" and "unlawful protesting" and "parading and picketing."
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I'm fully on board with prosecuting vigorously any actions that directly caused damage to property, injury to persons, or directly interfered with government business.
                        Amen, particularly where it's clear there's intent to do such...

I'm much less in favor of prosecution for "trespassing" and "unlawful protesting" and "parading and picketing."

Comment

In every city that I've managed to get details from, there has been the consistent pattern of behavior that I described. I can hardly believe that in a city that boasts of how liberal they are that something likewise wasn't taking place.

Here in Atlanta one elected prosecutor used it as an election strategy figuring that the residents would support not prosecuting their relatives. It does not look like a winning strategy though.

Why?

The current mayor has decided not to run for re-election (very likeable but virtual unanimous opinion that she is way out of her depth -- inept). The person with a sizable lead for replacing her is the one she replaced. A scandal-plagued politician who avoided jail himself but saw some of his cronies sent off.

Why?

One thing everyone remembers about him is that he stood with the police. He was as law and order as a Democrat mayor of a large city probably could be.

Folks know that the rioters and looters are getting off unscathed, and that can't be spun away. Maybe that's why the left has now started blaming conservatives for the defund and abolish movement that the left was supporting and enacting last year.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• One of the people arrested at the January 6th riot, Garret Miller, is using what is known as a "selective prosecution defense". As stated by his lawyer: “Mr. Miller has been treated differently by the government than the Portland rioters based upon the politics involved". I don't believe the judge has issued a ruling yet on whether this is a valid defense.

In response to the lawyer's claim that Portland rioters were being released because the are democrats, the prosecutor pointed out, among other things, that it is nearly impossible for Portland officers to identify suspects who were “on a darkened plaza with throngs of people”, which is one of the reasons charges were dropped against many of the Portland protestors.

I've made the point before that, unlike during the Portland riots, the evidence available in the Capitol Building riot is abundant and damning, with the perpetrators themselves providing most of the evidence in the form of selfies, videos, and public statements they have made on various internet forums. A most excellent example of this is provided by Garret Miller who, when he was arrested, was wearing a t-shirt featuring a photograph of Donald Trump, along with the captions: “Take America Back” and “I Was There, Washington D.C., January 6, 2021". Probably not the wisest course of action Miller could have taken. I can understand why he didn't try using as a defense that he was visiting his sick mother in Wisconsin on the day of the riot...

Comment

One of the people arrested at the January 6th riot, Garret Miller, is using what is known as a "selective prosecution defense". As stated by his lawyer: “Mr. Miller has been treated differently by the government than the Portland rioters based upon the politics involved". I don't believe the judge has issued a ruling yet on whether this is a valid defense.

In response to the lawyer's claim that Portland rioters were being released because the are democrats, the prosecutor pointed out, among other things, that it is nearly impossible for Portland officers to identify suspects who were “on a darkened plaza with throngs of people”, which is one of the reasons charges were dropped against many of the Portland protestors.

I've made the point before that, unlike during the Portland riots, the evidence available in the Capitol Building riot is abundant and damning, with the perpetrators themselves providing most of the evidence in the form of selfies, videos, and public statements they have made on various internet forums. A most excellent example of this is provided by Garret Miller who, when he was arrested, was wearing a t-shirt featuring a photograph of Donald Trump, along with the captions: “Take America Back” and “I Was There, Washington D.C., January 6, 2021". Probably not the wisest course of action Miller could have taken. I can understand why he didn't try using as a defense that he was visiting his sick mother in Wisconsin on the day of the riot...
                              So you can show, among the sentences handed out, words like sedition, riot, traitor, anarchy, insurrection.....? I keep missing those words.

Comment

One of the people arrested at the January 6th riot, Garret Miller, is using what is known as a "selective prosecution defense". As stated by his lawyer: “Mr. Miller has been treated differently by the government than the Portland rioters based upon the politics involved". I don't believe the judge has issued a ruling yet on whether this is a valid defense.

It's a tough defense to pull off but has been successful in the past.

And there was plenty of video of the rioters doing things like barricading people into buildings (usually police stations and government buildings) before setting them ablaze in hopes of committing mass murder. And, so far, I have heard of only one person being prosecuted for that and considering how often this sort of thing took place, exceptionally few people were even charged.

Comment