Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fourth US COVID wave has started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
    The United States reached another significant COVID milestone yesterday: 1 in 500 Americans has now died from COVID.
    Considering how loosely the term "died from COVID" is defined, the 1 in 500 claim should be taken with reasonable skepticism.

Leave a comment:

• Reepicheep
    replied
    The United States reached another significant COVID milestone yesterday: 1 in 500 Americans has now died from COVID.

For a period of a week or so, it appeared that the number of new cases and daily deaths had started to level off or even drop, but both statistics have resumed their rise. Daily new cases now number around 148,000, and daily deaths number 1,500.

Of the 25 states with the highest per capita daily new case count, only two states voted for Biden in 2020 (Georgia in position #11, and Oregon in position #23).

Leave a comment:

• Reepicheep
    replied

Daily deaths from COVID in the US, seven day average

240 - July 5
    255 - July 12 (up 6%)
    272 - July 19 (up 7%)
    285 - July 26 (up 5%)
    372 - Aug 2 (up 31%)

The best prediction I have found is that daily US deaths will peak at around 1,000/day in mid-September...
    The United States reached a significant milestone yesterday. The seven day average of COVID deaths was 1,014, over two weeks earlier than predicted in early August.

New COVID cases, seven day average, is now in excess of 150,000.

Over 100,000 Americans are now hospitalized with COVID. This means that roughly 10% of US hospital beds are occupied by COVID patients.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Why wait til after the queso?
    I didn't want you to know it was the last platter of bacon

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    At which point I'd go get myself a platter of bacon.
    Why wait til after the queso?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Nope, I like my chunky queso. And some sliced jalapeno on top!!!
    At which point I'd go get myself a platter of bacon.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Kinda defeats the purpose of queso.

Perhaps you should just add a bit of queso to your salsas
    Nope, I like my chunky queso. And some sliced jalapeno on top!!!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I like dumping some of the Pico de Gallo into the queso to give it a little more body.
    Kinda defeats the purpose of queso.

Perhaps you should just add a bit of queso to your salsas

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I prefer the queso -- but without the peppers (@Andius would likely be horrified)
    I like dumping some of the Pico de Gallo into the queso to give it a little more body.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

It sounds like medical grade masks (the type I wear) are much better than wearing no mask. Do you agree? Or do you believe that medical professionals should totally abandon the wearing of masks?

Would you likewise argue that surgeons shouldn't wash their hands before performing surgery?
    First of all, that's under ideal circumstances as part of a hygiene regimen in a hospital setting, so a best case scenario.

Second, I would not want a sick surgeon operating on me given the limited effectiveness of even medical grade masks.

​​​​​The bottom line is that no matter what mask you use, if you're sick, then you are exhaling the virus with every breath, which is why the China flu spreads the same whether there is high mask compliance or not.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I'd rather go into an authentic Mexican establishment and enjoy whatever they use.
    I prefer the queso -- but without the peppers (@Andius would likely be horrified)

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I went out today to buy a used fridge from a local appliance shop, and a prominent sign read "Masks Required Even If You Are Vaccinated!" Exactly zero staff and customers had masks. I don't know why they even bother keeping the sign up since they clearly don't care if you wear a mask or not.
    Virtue Signaling?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

FWIU, at least at the time, Pace wasn't one of the better Picante sauces on the market
    I'd rather go into an authentic Mexican establishment and enjoy whatever they use.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Have mercy on her - she gets her "news" about Texas from the New York Times. We don't like our Picante Sauce from NYC, either.

new-york-city-.jpg

FWIU, at least at the time, Pace wasn't one of the better Picante sauces on the market

Leave a comment:

• Reepicheep
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

It sounds like medical grade masks (the type I wear) are much better than wearing no mask. Do you agree? Or do you believe that medical professionals should totally abandon the wearing of masks?

Would you likewise argue that surgeons shouldn't wash their hands before performing surgery?

Leave a comment: