Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fourth US COVID wave has started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    For the vaccinated this doesn't appear to be much of a big deal.
    The figures I keep seeing are that 98% of people hospitalized with COVID are unvaccinated, and over 99% of those dying from COVID are unvaccinated.
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

The figures I keep seeing are that 98% of people hospitalized with COVID are unvaccinated, and over 99% of those dying from COVID are unvaccinated.
      Meanwhile, those deaths:
      usdeaths.PNG

Comment

Depends on where you're getting your figures. I've seen the ones you reference. I've seen other figures (for example, from England) indicating that nearly half of all hospitalizations for the China flu are people who are fully vaccinated. Still other figures suggest that most hospitalizations and deaths are those who were vaccinated.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any universal standard for detection and reporting (even in the US where things vary from state to state), and so the numbers are all over the place.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Daily new cases in the US now average over 125,000 (seven day average). The seven day average of deaths is now 537/day.

50% of COVID hospitalizations are in the following 8 states, even though these states contain only 25% of the US population. All these states are lagging the national average in vaccinations. I am providing a recent news headline for each state.

Alabama COVID hospitalizations soon to hit alarming new peak with no end in sight, state health officer warns

The State Of Arkansas Has Only 8 Empty ICU Beds, As COVID-19 Cases Resurge

Florida breaks daily COVID-19 record again with nearly 25K cases

New COVID-19 surge overwhelms hospitals across Georgia

COVID deaths surge, cases continue to rise in Louisiana as leaders fear 'catastrophic situation'

Mississippi braces for 'failure' of hospital system due to covid-19 surge and lack of ICU beds

Nevada reports more than 1K new COVID-19 cases, 24 deaths

Texas Hospitals Are Already Overloaded. Doctors Are ‘Frightened by What Is Coming.’
          "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
          "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Texas Hospitals Are Already Overloaded. Doctors Are ‘Frightened by What Is Coming.’
            Excellent supermarket tabloid headline!

My favorite was "Woman Gives Birth in Choir - Baby Comes Out Singing Amazing Grace".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Daily new cases in the US now average over 125,000 (seven day average). The seven day average of deaths is now 537/day.

50% of COVID hospitalizations are in the following 8 states, even though these states contain only 25% of the US population. All these states are lagging the national average in vaccinations. I am providing a recent news headline for each state.

Alabama COVID hospitalizations soon to hit alarming new peak with no end in sight, state health officer warns

The State Of Arkansas Has Only 8 Empty ICU Beds, As COVID-19 Cases Resurge

Florida breaks daily COVID-19 record again with nearly 25K cases

New COVID-19 surge overwhelms hospitals across Georgia

COVID deaths surge, cases continue to rise in Louisiana as leaders fear 'catastrophic situation'

Mississippi braces for 'failure' of hospital system due to covid-19 surge and lack of ICU beds

Nevada reports more than 1K new COVID-19 cases, 24 deaths

I read that NYT article about the Texas hospitals. Extremely worrying. That tents are being set up clearly shows the level of infections and lack of space in the building.

From that report: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/11/u...tions-icu.html

SAN ANTONIO — At least two hospitals in Houston have been so overwhelmed with coronavirus patients this week that officials erected overflow tents outside. In Austin, hospitals were nearly out of beds in their intensive care units. And in San Antonio, a spike in virus cases reached alarming levels not seen in months, with children as young as 2 months old tethered to supplemental oxygen.

Across Texas, health officials warned of overloaded, strained hospitals, a growing crisis not seen since early February, when a late winter wave deluged the state’s health care system. More than 10,000 Texans have been hospitalized this week and at least 53 hospitals were at maximum capacity in their intensive care units

“If this continues, and I have no reason to believe that it will not, there is no way my hospital is going to be able to handle this. There is no way the region is going to be able to handle this,” Dr. Esmaeil Porsa, a top health official in Harris County, which includes Houston, told state legislators on Tuesday. “I am one of those people that always sees the glass half-full, I always see the silver lining. But I am frightened by what is coming.”

In recent days, Texas has averaged about 12,400 new cases a day, nearly double the number seen just two weeks ago, according to a New York Times database. The spike comes as about one in five U.S. hospitals with intensive care units, or 583 total hospitals, recently reported that at least 95 percent of their I.C.U. beds were full. One worry about the highly contagious Delta variant, which has fueled surges across the country, is whether it might test the capacity of health systems.

Hospitals in New Orleans, Jackson, Miss., Miami and Huntsville, Ala., have been taxed this week, too, as cases continue to rise in those regions and elsewhere across the South. Texas is among several states grappling with dangerous surges exacerbated by the Delta variant, which the White House recently said was as contagious as the chickenpox.

Earlier this summer, cases skyrocketed in Florida, Louisiana and Arkansas. As in those states, the vast majority of patients hospitalized in Texas are not vaccinated, state officials said.

The sudden increase of infections has refocused national attention on the efficacy of masks and comes as the state’s governor, Greg Abbott, remains firm in his refusal to enact any statewide mandates requiring masks while also prohibiting local officials from doing so in their own communities. To help manage the surge, Mr. Abbott appealed this week to health care workers outside the state to travel to Texas and help the overloaded hospitals.

The number of coronavirus-related hospitalizations across the state is projected to climb to well over 15,000 by the end of August, according to the University of Texas at Austin’s Covid-19 model consortium.

“The fact that we’re having to construct the tents shows that the system in general is not prepared,” said Amanda Callaway, associate administrator for Harris Health System, which oversees the two hospitals in the Houston area requiring overflow space. “There’s lots of concern. There’s only so much you can do, only so many rooms. We’re just trying to respond as fast as we can.”

Aside from the tents, doctors are also treating patients in waiting rooms because of a shortage of beds, she said, adding that at least 90 percent of the coronavirus patients are unvaccinated.

Dr. David Persse, Houston’s chief medical officer, blamed inadequate attention by state officials to highlight the importance and necessity of vaccinations to stem the surge, with Mr. Abbott framing it as an issue of individual rights. “It’s the wrong approach,” Dr. Persse said. “The rhetoric around this has been such that people adhering to their right to make their own decisions are endangering themselves and their families.”

Mr. Abbott, like governors in Florida and elsewhere across the South, maintained his position even after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reversed course and recommended that both vaccinated and unvaccinated people wear masks indoors in high-risk areas. He issued an executive order prohibiting local governments from mandating vaccines and prohibiting school districts from enforcing masks.

"It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I read that NYT article about the Texas hospitals. Extremely worrying. That tents are being set up clearly shows the level of infections and lack of space in the building.
                A) Texas is a BIG state
                2) There are over 570 acute care hospitals in Texas - about 1/10 of all hospitals in the USA.
                iii) A FEW of those hospitals in critical areas have added tents for overflow.
                D) Often, this is done while a hospital is transitioning areas from regular or ICU care to COVID care
                5) MANY hospitals are doing just fine
                F) Already, some of those hospitals that were dealing with space issues are now adapted, and are requesting additional staffing.

But, hey, feel free to continue the fearmongering.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A big factor in Texas is the Border Crisis where hundreds and hundreds of illegals are coming across the border every day, many with COVID, and they are being allowed (and even transported) by the Biden Administration to live in counties in and out of Texas.

The unvaccinated rate is highest among minorities, so those communities are affected at a very disproportionate rate.

But, MUCH better to get the vapors over hospitals struggling than actually look at the causes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A) Texas is a BIG state
                    2) There are over 570 acute care hospitals in Texas - about 1/10 of all hospitals in the USA.
                    iii) A FEW of those hospitals in critical areas have added tents for overflow.
                    D) Often, this is done while a hospital is transitioning areas from regular or ICU care to COVID care
                    5) MANY hospitals are doing just fine
                    F) Already, some of those hospitals that were dealing with space issues are now adapted, and are requesting additional staffing.

Europeans tend to have a poor mental picture of actually how enormous the US actually is. Texas, for example is is nearly twice as large as the entire country of Germany.

In many Youtube videos, it's a frequent part of "Things you need to know about visiting the United States"

Comment

One might opine you could offer that last piece of advice to those who are suffering. For example [again from that article]

[..] at the Children’s Hospital of San Antonio, where a growing number of children were being admitted with severe symptoms of Covid-19, including high fevers, chills, coughs and shortness of breath. Many others arriving for unrelated illnesses were also testing positive for the virus, hospital officials said.

In that same hospital a "6-month-old and a 2-month-old were battling severe Covid-19 infections and were breathing with the aid of supplemental oxygen."
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

One might opine ...
                        Please provide a definition of "opine".

Comment

Please provide a definition of "opine".
                          A neat way of ignoring the human tragedy I cited. Never mind you can always remember them in your prayers.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Europeans tend to have a poor mental picture of actually how enormous the US actually is. Texas, for example is is nearly twice as large as the entire country of Germany.

In many Youtube videos, it's a frequent part of "Things you need to know about visiting the United States"
                            And I doubt that they even realize that Texas is, for all intents and purposes, FIVE different states.

A friend of mine visited me when I was training at Goodfellow AFB in West Texas - they flew down from Cleveland, OH.
                            About 10 years later, they flew back to visit me in Tyler, Texas.

They were ASTOUNDED how much Texas had changed in those short 10 years, not realizing how incredibly different various parts of Texas are.

Comment

And I doubt that they even realize that Texas is, for all intents and purposes, FIVE different states.

A friend of mine visited me when I was training at Goodfellow AFB in West Texas - they flew down from Cleveland, OH.
                              About 10 years later, they flew back to visit me in Tyler, Texas.

They were ASTOUNDED how much Texas had changed in those short 10 years, not realizing how incredibly different various parts of Texas are.
                              Most non-texans probably don't. (I didn't)

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Most non-texans probably don't. (I didn't)
                                Actually, it depends on how you define the various areas, anywhere from 4 to 7 distinct regions...

Texas 4.pngTexas 7.png

Comment