Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Minneapolis - Measure To Put Replacing Police On November Ballot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I agree that there are times when a social worker/mental health professional might be needed more than the police. If the call comes in, the 911 operator should assess the situation and dispatch the proper "team" - if someone is injured, roll an ambulance. If someone is having a breakdown, send a psychiatrist, but if someone is threatening to kill themselves or others and it could turn violent, then it should be handled first by the police and then they can turn it over to either the paramedics or social workers once it is safe for them. That is how things are handled now. The paramedics and fire will not go into a potentially dangerous situation without the police clearing it first.
    Can a 911 operator really make that assessment over the phone? It has been mentioned before in these discussions that police very rarely know what the situation is until they eyeball the scene, and as you noted, things can turn ugly in an instant without warning, so you always want to send the guy prepared for the worst case scenario, and that's an armed police officer.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

    Comment


    • #32
      Here's some of what I would like to see more of:

      Eugene, Oregon, Police Chief: Sending Unarmed Crisis Specialists On Mental Health Calls Saves Lives
      Mental Health Response Teams Yield Better Outcomes Than Police In NYC, Data Shows

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Sounds to me like just a way to pretend to get rid of the police by hiding them under a new name.

        Similar to how the Texas Rangers part of the Texas Department of Public Safety, right?
        Quite honestly, the Texas Rangers were pretty much the Governors' own personal goon squad back in the day. They have become quite professional over the years.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

          Quite honestly, the Texas Rangers were pretty much the Governors' own personal goon squad back in the day. They have become quite professional over the years.
          You can thank Chuck Norris.

          walker-texas-ranger.jpg
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God


          From "Fools Gold" by Petra

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

            You can thank Chuck Norris.

            walker-texas-ranger.jpg
            He has a ranch (Lone Wolf Ranch) less than 50 miles from me, and we used to see him at the Junior High football games where his niece was a cheerleader. I was actually a little surprised that he wasn't taller than he was. But, by all counts, he was always quite a decent and friendly person.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

            Comment


            • #36
              BBRangersNorris.jpg

              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                He has a ranch (Lone Wolf Ranch) less than 50 miles from me, and we used to see him at the Junior High football games where his niece was a cheerleader. I was actually a little surprised that he wasn't taller than he was. But, by all counts, he was always quite a decent and friendly person.
                It is frequently said that he's actually a really nice guy. I once read an internet article where he talked about his Christian faith, and a comment from an atheist said something along the lines, "I may not agree with him, but I find it impossible not to like him."
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God


                From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  It is frequently said that he's actually a really nice guy. I once read an internet article where he talked about his Christian faith, and a comment from an atheist said something along the lines, "I may not agree with him, but I find it impossible not to like him."
                  I've frequently heard that about a lot of famous martial artists. That they're generally very pleasant people to be around.

                  My personal theory is that it is a trait one is forced to develop as a way of defusing conflicts. I can only imagine, given his long career and especially all the tough guy jokes, that Norris has faced more than his share of belligerent drunks snarling things like "so you think you're so tough, huh?" and spoiling for an opportunity to show everyone that they're just as "badass."

                  But if someone is "impossible not to like" it often becomes difficult to remain angry and aggressive.



                  Please, don't think I'm saying that Norris is faking being nice. In fact, it is very possible he has always been a genuinely nice guy all along and never had to learn to be that way.

                  I'm always still in trouble again

                  "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I've frequently heard that about a lot of famous martial artists. That they're generally very pleasant people to be around.
                    There's a line from The Karate Kid that I think neatly summarizes the martial arts philosophy: "You learn karate so you don't have to fight."

                    I think having the confidence that you can defend yourself gives you the attitude that it's okay to walk away from a fight because you have nothing to prove.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God


                    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                      There's a line from The Karate Kid that I think neatly summarizes the martial arts philosophy: "You learn karate so you don't have to fight."

                      I think having the confidence that you can defend yourself gives you the attitude that it's okay to walk away from a fight because you have nothing to prove.
                      There definitely is some truth in that. Predators look for someone who looks weak to victimize. If you look confident and strong they tend to look for another target.

                      Any instructor worth their salt dismisses students who make it clear that they can hardly wait to get in a fight and try out what they learned.

                      And speaking of Karate Kid, the bad sensei (owner of Cobra Kai) was actually modelled after one of my two instructors. This was back when most places taught their students to knock someone down and run away. Of course if they're faster you'll get dragged down from behind -- not a good position to be in. This guy taught us that after you knock them down make sure they can't get right back up and chase you before you leave. He also emphasized adopting an utterly ruthless approach when you have to fight. No holding back. Rip them apart. Other teachers disliked this approach. Nowadays all of your best "dojos" teach that approach.

                      The reason I brought all this up, is I watched him kick a lot of (mostly) kids out of his school because they wanted to go around getting in fights. FWIU, he took a pretty hard financial hit (refunding money) as a result of it.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Baltimore police requesting 100 federal officers to assist in fighting violent crime

                        https://www.foxnews.com/us/baltimore...-violent-crime
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Something occurred to me recently: this "defund/replace the police" movement is only being enacted on local and state levels. As far as I know, there have been no calls for disbanding federal law enforcement like the secret service and FBI. Is that who liberals are planning to put in place of local departments? Is all of this "defund the police" nonsense really just a scheme to usher in direct federal control of the local populations?
                          Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Baltimore police requesting 100 federal officers to assist in fighting violent crime

                          https://www.foxnews.com/us/baltimore...-violent-crime
                          Hmmm...
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God


                          From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Baltimore police requesting 100 federal officers to assist in fighting violent crime

                            https://www.foxnews.com/us/baltimore...-violent-crime
                            But, wait ..... some of our fellow Twebbers were blasting federal officers as jack-booted thugs!!!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                              Can a 911 operator really make that assessment over the phone? It has been mentioned before in these discussions that police very rarely know what the situation is until they eyeball the scene, and as you noted, things can turn ugly in an instant without warning, so you always want to send the guy prepared for the worst case scenario, and that's an armed police officer.

                              They can make the call if it is obvious. Just like they do now when they send out ambulances without calling in the police. If there is any doubt bring in the police. "my husband has a gun and is wanting to kill himself" - obviously bring in the police. "my husband just took a bottle of sleeping pills and is trying to kill himself" - send in an ambulance and assign a social worker to the case.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Sparko View Post


                                They can make the call if it is obvious. Just like they do now when they send out ambulances without calling in the police. If there is any doubt bring in the police. "my husband has a gun and is wanting to kill himself" - obviously bring in the police. "my husband just took a bottle of sleeping pills and is trying to kill himself" - send in an ambulance and assign a social worker to the case.
                                Those would be clear examples of
                                A) a potential domestic violence incident
                                2) a potential medical/mental crisis

                                so, yeah.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Sparko, Today, 08:10 AM
                                2 responses
                                37 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Gondwanaland  
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, 09-19-2021, 07:03 PM
                                5 responses
                                53 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 09-19-2021, 12:34 PM
                                19 responses
                                155 views
                                2 likes
                                Last Post Mountain Man  
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 09-19-2021, 10:21 AM
                                6 responses
                                98 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by Ronson, 09-17-2021, 08:16 PM
                                14 responses
                                118 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Cow Poke  
                                Working...
                                X