Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Delta variant and all future global variant surges (all are free post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Right, so you're just going to ignore seanD's earlier post:

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...58#post1465958

and every other post throughout the course of this thread documenting the evidence which you claim doesn't exist.
    All shuny's feeble brain is capable of is ad hom. That's pretty much all he contributes to the discussion. I wouldn't expect him to be capable of grasping much of anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Right, so you're just going to ignore seanD's earlier post:

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...58#post1465958

and every other post throughout the course of this thread documenting the evidence which you claim doesn't exist.
      Did not ignore the selective anti Vax trash. It is your selective generalization of 'scientists' that is also trash.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
        The left in general didn't do a complete 180 on Fauci, although AIDS activists did, once they realized that his approach to testing and approval of potential treatments worked.

Republicans never had a problem with Fauci before the pandemic. I don't recall any protests when he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. And I don't think they would ever have had a problem with him if he had refused to contradict Trump.
        At first the left was calling Fauci a rubber stamp and lap dog of Trump's, particularly after he wholeheartedly endorsed Trump's China travel ban and praised him for doing it saying it bought us some much needed breathing room. The left was largely furious, particularly since old Joe was calling the policy racist and xenophobic.

It was only after they started disagreeing that he suddenly became a media darling and the Voice of Science for those on the left.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• https://www.forbes.com/sites/carliep...h=453741444542

Dr. Fauci On GOP Criticism: ‘Attacks On Me, Quite Frankly, Are Attacks On Science’

... spoken through his favorite cloth penguin mask. What a clown.

penguins.jpg

Comment

• New research indicates the possibility of a wild animal source for Covid-19 in the Wuhan Market. This' of course does not demonstrate that the lab release is not the source of Covid-19

Source: https://www.science.org/content/article/covid-19-origins-missing-sequences

Unearthed genetic sequences from China market may point to animal origin of COVID-19

French scientist finds previously undisclosed data from Chinese research team

• Market in Wuhan, China, on 1 January 2020 after doctors noticed cluster of unusual pneumonia cases linked to it.DAKE KANG/ASSOCIATED PRESSSHARE:A scientific sleuth in France has identified previously undisclosed genetic data from a food market in Wuhan, China, that she and colleagues say support the theory that coronavirus-infected animals there triggered the COVID-19 pandemic. Several of the researchers presented their findings on Tuesday to the Scientific Advisory Group for the Origins of Novel Pathogens (SAGO), an expert group convened last year by the World Health Organization (WHO).

“The data does point even further to a market origin,” says Kristian Andersen, an evolutionary biologist at Scripps Research who attended the meeting and is one of the scientists analyzing the new data. If so, the findings weaken the view of a vocal minority that a virology lab in Wuhan was the likely origin of SARS-CoV-2, perhaps when the coronavirus infected a lab worker who spread it further.

Florence Débarre, a theoretician who specializes in evolutionary biology and works at CNRS, the French national research agency, unearthed the data, which consist of genetic sequences posted in GISAID, a virology database, by Chinese researchers. The Chinese team had collected environmental samples from the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, which was connected to a cluster of early COVID-19 cases and despite its name also sold a variety of mammals for food. Since Débarre spotted the sequences, GISAID has removed them, noting that this was at the request of the submitter.

Given that the mystery of SARS-CoV-2’s origin has been a matter of intense global interest and divisive debate, the data’s discovery and subsequent disappearance will certainly raise questions about why the Chinese team—which includes the former head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (China CDC), George Gao—did not make the sequences public earlier. Contacted by Science, Gao said the sequences are “[n]othing new. It had been known there was illegal animal dealing and this is why the market was immediately shut down.”

But Andersen and his colleagues hope Gao’s team will now make the sequences widely available. “We have urged China CDC and our colleagues there to release this data as soon as possible,” he says.

Gao’s team used swabs to collect environmental samples from many of the stalls of the Huanan market between 1 January 2020, the day it was shut down, and 2 March 2020. The group reported last year that some of the samples that tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 also had human genetic material, but no DNA from other animals. The team concluded in a preprint posted on Research Square on 25 February 2022 that this “highly suggests” humans brought the virus to the market; Gao and his co-authors said this meant the marketplace was not the origin of the pandemic but simply amplified early spread of SARS-CoV-2.

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• After three years of investigation, the sequences suddenly pop up on the GISAID database right when the lab theory gains traction.

“The data does point even further to a market origin,” says Kristian Andersen, an evolutionary biologist at Scripps Research who attended the meeting and is one of the scientists analyzing the new data. If so, the findings weaken the view of a vocal minority that a virology lab in Wuhan was the likely origin of SARS-CoV-2, perhaps when the coronavirus infected a lab worker who spread it further.

Talk about perfect timing!

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                After three years of investigation, the sequences suddenly pop up on the GISAID database right when the lab theory gains traction.

Talk about perfect timing!
                Still waiting for the evidence the FBI has for a lab origin. There is no traction here without evidence. Nonetheless this evidence is not conclusive, and those who published it are not saying it is. There is no evidence that timing of this research was planned. Nothing would change if it was released a year ago or now. The final conclusion remains in doubt, and these scientists agree.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  At first the left was calling Fauci a rubber stamp and lap dog of Trump's, particularly after he wholeheartedly endorsed Trump's China travel ban and praised him for doing it saying it bought us some much needed breathing room. The left was largely furious, particularly since old Joe was calling the policy racist and xenophobic.

It was only after they started disagreeing that he suddenly became a media darling and the Voice of Science for those on the left.
                  You didn't give any sources, but I think maybe you are confusing one or two voices with "the left".

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Still waiting for the evidence the FBI has for a lab origin. There is no traction here without evidence. Nonetheless this evidence is not conclusive, and those who published it are not saying it is. There is no evidence that timing of this research was planned. Nothing would change if it was released a year ago or now. The final conclusion remains in doubt, and these scientists agree.
                    I meant traction in that it was finally gaining acceptance as plausible, whereas before there was a "wall" and "manufactured consensus" against it. China wants to smother a lab theory just as much as that "manufactured consensus" here in the west does, and is no more open to an honest investigation than they are.
                    Last edited by seanD; 03-17-2023, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I meant traction in that it was finally gaining acceptance as plausible, whereas before there was a "wall" and "manufactured consensus" against it. China wants to smother a lab theory just as much as that "manufactured consensus" here in the west does, and is no more open to an honest investigation than they are.
                      First China's official line is that Covid-19 has a foreign origin, and this evidence does not please China at all. Despite all the political shenanigans the lab origin has always been a possibility. The legitimate scientific conclusion at present is the origin is not determined yet.

One fact ignored in this argument is the origin of Coronavirus' from wild animals is the norm in the past and nothing new. The previous SARS outbreak is documented as from a market in Guangdong Province.

Frank

Comment

First China's official line is that Covid-19 has a foreign origin, and this evidence does not please China at all. Despite all the political shenanigans the lab origin has always been a possibility. The legitimate scientific conclusion at present is the origin is not determined yet.

One fact ignored in this argument is the origin of Coronavirus' from wild animals is the norm in the past and nothing new. The previous SARS outbreak is documented as from a market in Guangdong Province.
                        No, China never argued it had a "foreign origin." There were some fringe Chinese elements on social media that claimed it came from Fort Detrick and was brought to China by the US via military exercises they were both engaging in, but there's no indication that was the official stance of the CCP. China's official stance has always been the same as Daszak's stance -- that it came from the Wuhan market via natural processes. China never ever entertained the idea it came from the Wuhan lab and has always been a fierce opponent against that theory.

Comment

No, China never argued it had a "foreign origin." There were some fringe Chinese elements on social media that claimed it came from Fort Detrick and was brought to China by the US via military exercises they were both engaging in, but there's no indication that was the official stance of the CCP. China's official stance has always been the same as Daszak's stance -- that it came from the Wuhan market via natural processes. China never ever entertained the idea it came from the Wuhan lab and has always been a fierce opponent against that theory.
                          Being a fierce opponent does not determine where the Coronavirus originated. At present it remains an open question.

I am still waiting for this mysterious secret evidence claimed by the FBI.

Frank

Comment

Being a fierce opponent does not determine where the Coronavirus originated. At present it remains an open question.

I am still waiting for this mysterious secret evidence claimed by the FBI.
                            Being a fierce opponent against the lab theory means they're not an impartial source of the origins of covid, thus any data they present in support of natural origins against the lab theory is suspect.

Comment

Being a fierce opponent against the lab theory means they're not an impartial source of the origins of covid, thus any data they present in support of natural origins against the lab theory is suspect.
                              I believe the evidence is well documented and published by scientist that were not Chinese.

Still waiting for FBI evidence to support their subjective conclusions.

Frank

Comment

New research indicates the possibility of a wild animal source for Covid-19 in the Wuhan Market. This' of course does not demonstrate that the lab release is not the source of Covid-19

Source: https://www.science.org/content/article/covid-19-origins-missing-sequences

Florence Débarre, a theoretician who specializes in evolutionary biology and works at CNRS, the French national research agency, unearthed the data, which consist of genetic sequences posted in GISAID, a virology database, by Chinese researchers. The Chinese team had collected environmental samples from the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market, which was connected to a cluster of early COVID-19 cases and despite its name also sold a variety of mammals for food. Since Débarre spotted the sequences, GISAID has removed them, noting that this was at the request of the submitter.

© Copyright Original Source

So this researcher found evidence that COVID was natural but then the data was removed from the database? Evidence that would prove that it was natural was deleted? Why would they do that Shuny? Why would they delete evidence that supports the idea of a natural occurrence? So that the only evidence it existed is by this one scientist?

Comment