Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Delta variant and all future global variant surges (all are free post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

Has he made a statement about it? But, yeah, that's pretty dumb and disturbing if he actually meant 100k.

See how easy that is?
    He didn't make the error, he said something that was mis-transcribed, but the article shows how liberals reacted when they thought HIS mistake was off. No benefit of the doubt, no spin, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
      Does anyone know when the Supreme Court is supposed to rule on the vaccine mandate?

Does anyone have an idea on how they might rule? It's looking like they're leaning against it, but I've been surprised before.
      Opinions have to be done by the end of the term, which normally ends sometime in June. So we should have a decision sometime before July.

Beyond that it's anyone's guess, and depends on just how much the justices want to write on the subject. This is virtually certain to not be a unanimous opinion so you'll see at least one dissent, which makes it take longer, and you might end up with concurring opinions or other dissents which all make it take longer. I doubt we'll see the decision before May.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
        FINALLY the CDC admitting what we've been saying all along. Over 75 percent of deaths involving covid have been people with FOUR OR MORE Comorbidities. These were people that were very unwell, and many who were likely to die no matter what illness they got.

https://www.kusi.com/cdc-director-75...comorbidities/
        This should be an above-the-fold headline for every major news organization because it basically overturns the entire China flu narrative that we've been fed since day one. But, of course, you know it's going to be ignored and suppressed, and only those of us who strive to keep ourselves informed will know about it.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

Has he made a statement about it? But, yeah, that's pretty dumb and disturbing if he actually meant 100k.

See how easy that is?
          The transcript was in error. He said, "hundreds, thousands," not "hundreds OF thousands."

One little word can make a huge difference.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I'm laughing also, but I do hope her symptoms remain minor.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              Opinions have to be done by the end of the term, which normally ends sometime in June. So we should have a decision sometime before July.

Beyond that it's anyone's guess, and depends on just how much the justices want to write on the subject. This is virtually certain to not be a unanimous opinion so you'll see at least one dissent, which makes it take longer, and you might end up with concurring opinions or other dissents which all make it take longer. I doubt we'll see the decision before May.
              I've heard and read various sources expecting the decision this week.

There seems to be a very loose consensus that the OSHA biz mandate will go, but the health workers mandate will stay.

I get the sense that the conservatives will rule based on law, and the libs and squishes will rule based on feels.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I can only go by what you actually typed. You seemed upset that he used an estimate instead of an exact number.
                That's part of it. His source said it was an estimate; he said they were "officially confirmed instances of vaccine injuries", implying that every single one had been confirmed.

But that statement above is wrong or misleading in at least four different ways, which is truly (un)impressive for just six words.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  So your quibble is that, in you opinion, the news report I cited got it wrong, that it's not true that nearly 80,000 people could qualify for compensation after being injured by the vaccines.
                  No. Now you're trying to shift all the blame onto your source, which you misrepresented. You show no interest in truth or accuracy, or in understanding, correcting or taking any responsibility for your resulting falsehoods.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• It appears that even those on the left are starting to realize that just like EVERYTHING else he has touched, old Joe is fumbling and bumbling the response to Covid.

Source: 'We have gone backwards': Covid confusion snarls Biden White House

A half dozen former health policy makers, including members of Biden’s transition team, said the Biden administration needs an urgent strategy reset.

President Joe Biden is urging schools to stay open, but there’s a widespread Covid testing shortage.

He calls it the “pandemic of the unvaccinated,” but that’s only confused boosted Americans home sick with the omicron variant.

And the administration hasn’t changed its guidance to urge high-filtration masks despite calls from the medical community, while recent isolation guidance has only added to the uncertainty.

The White House’s stay-the-course strategy on Covid is increasingly colliding with the realities of a roaring pandemic that is forcing schools and businesses to close.

A half dozen former health policy makers, including some members of Biden’s transition team, told NBC News the Biden administration needs an urgent reset on its Covid strategy or the White House could rapidly lose credibility with the public.

“Biden was elected president, in large part, based on a message of ‘I’m competent, I’m capable, I will tell you the truth and I will get a handle on Covid in a way my predecessor could not and refused to do,’ and that continues to be the number-one issue for most people,” said Kathleen Sebelius, who served as Health and Human Services secretary in the Obama administration.

While praising the administration for quickly being able to make the vaccines widely available, she said that Americans' “lives are still pretty chaotic and kind of messy and when they thought they were getting out of this they are back in it.”

She added, “I do think it's about competence and capability and telling the truth and using all of the tools that are at the president's disposal.”

As the omicron variant began to metastasize across the country last month, Biden and his top health officials largely focused on urging people to get vaccinations and boosters, and on prescribing a mask indoors while greenlighting holiday gatherings for those fully vaccinated.

He has called on schools and businesses to remain open with a strategy that emphasized testing, reassured vaccinated Americans that they are unlikely to get severely ill if they become infected, and promised that the federal government is ready to address testing shortages and overrun hospitals.

But the rapid spread of the variant has created a level of disruption in many Americans’ lives not seen since the early days of the pandemic. Staffing shortages have forced schools and businesses to close and have led to absences in police and fire departments with large numbers of sick first-responders. Airlines have canceled thousands of flights because of staffing shortages, transit systems have shut down bus and subway routes, and the surge in cases has once again crippled the cruise industry.

The demand for testing has overwhelmed the country’s capacity in places that are hardest hit, creating long lines and delaying results for days.

At-home tests are still in short supply, and the administration was widely criticized last month for what appeared to be confusing recommendations for those infected as cases soared.

The isolation period was shortened to five days rather than 10 and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention did not recommend a negative test before leaving isolation after the shortened period — concerning some public health experts and prompting criticism from the American Medical Association, which said in a statement that “a dearth of tests at the moment does not justify omitting a testing requirement to exit a now shortened isolation.”

“In terms of the communication and the trust in the CDC, it feels like we have gone backwards,” said Leana Wen, a former Baltimore health commissioner.

Wen said some of the decisions and the fallout reminded her of the early days of the pandemic response under the Trump administration.

The health experts said that at least part of a new way of communicating should include preparing Americans to accept Covid as endemic, while still attempting to reduce the most disruptive impacts of the virus, like keeping people out of the hospital and reducing serious or fatal illness by promoting vaccinations.

“There’s agreement that the messaging has to be better and that it would be important to be simpler for people and more targeted towards what people need and action guided,” said Ezekiel Emanuel, a key member of Biden’s transition team and a former health policy adviser to the Obama administration. “I think we just need a clear message so people know what the ‘to do’ is.”

They also say Biden needs to acknowledge the extent of testing shortages and ramp up a remedy to it.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

There are several points in that article that need addressing

A half dozen former health policy makers, including some members of Biden’s transition team, told NBC News the Biden administration needs an urgent reset on its Covid strategy or the White House could rapidly lose credibility with the public.

I'm not sure there is any credibility left for him to lose after he threw up his hands in surrender and turned over managing the pandemic to the states.

While praising the administration for quickly being able to make the vaccines widely available, she said that Americans' “lives are still pretty chaotic and kind of messy and when they thought they were getting out of this they are back in it."

Um... That was Trump. A little thing called Operation Warp Speed.

But the rapid spread of the variant has created a level of disruption in many Americans’ lives not seen since the early days of the pandemic. Staffing shortages have forced schools and businesses to close and have led to absences in police and fire departments with large numbers of sick first-responders.

They fired first responders who wouldn't get jabbed, complain about shortages but then WANT SICK AND INFECTED WORKERS TO RETURN TO WORK. Does that make a lick of sense?

They also say Biden needs to acknowledge the extent of testing shortages and ramp up a remedy to it.

The cause of the shortage lies squarely at old Joe's feet. He rejected a "10-page plan" from numerous public health institutions to obtain and distribute Covid tests back in October to help with any surge in testing during and after upcoming the holidays. A bored Biden reacted by looking at his watch and aimlessly wandered off looking for another ice cream cone. Now we have reports of people literally climbing over one another trying to get tested and there being a shortage in available tests.

The Big 3 networks spiked the story and instead focused on the duffer's promise of more testing coming soon. I'm sure that's exactly how they would have reported it if had been Trump who bumbled and bungled this up.
                    Last edited by rogue06; 01-11-2022, 06:48 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I've heard and read various sources expecting the decision this week.

There seems to be a very loose consensus that the OSHA biz mandate will go, but the health workers mandate will stay.

I get the sense that the conservatives will rule based on law, and the libs and squishes will rule based on feels.
                      Yeah, that's the feeling I get. They're foaming at the mouth to vaccinate all the workers.

But here's what I think is going to happen if it does pass:

About a quarter of all workers will take the vaccination, just because what the heck. The other 3/4 will take the test and mask option. From there it's going to be a hairball in enforcing the workers to keep their masks on and the ones conducting tests will even start to slack and cut corners. After about a year of this extra deadweight effort, it will become a lingering law that is rarely enforced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post

No. Now you're trying to shift all the blame onto your source, which you misrepresented.
                        That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it no matter how wrong it might be, but the fact is, I did not misrepresent anything. According to the news report I cited, nearly 80,000 people could qualify for compensation from the Australian government for injuries suffered from the vaccine.

Did the news report get it wrong? It's possible, but you have given us no reason to think they actually did. But you carry on with your pedantry. Apparently it's the only implement in your debate toolbox.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          It appears that even those on the left are starting to realize that just like EVERYTHING else he has touched, old Joe is fumbling and bumbling the response to Covid.
                          What's remarkable is that anybody was expecting anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

What's remarkable is that anybody was expecting anything else.
                            I'm still trying to wrap my noggin around firing people who won't get the jab because they may present a risk while asking sick and infected workers, who definitely present a risk, to come to work.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                              It's nice to see you taking my previous quotes to heart.

Do you have any evidence that Sotomayor was lying, as opposed to misinformed? Do you have any evidence that her statements haven't been corrected, or have caused anyone else to become misinformed, or have had any negative impact on anything?
                              My problem is that she was egregiously wrong. Her numbers were like 20-fold too high. Normally I wouldn't expect a judge to be an expert on a matter, but here we are talking about the Supreme court who is debating the LAW of the USA. Their decisions affect the entire country. It is their JOB to be well-informed on a subject before ruling on it. She doesn't need to have a medical degree but she should at least check her statistics before making such a pronouncement and argument. That she didn't and is so misinformed means she isn't doing her job. I don't want someone who is too lazy to do their job making decisions that affect mine and the lives of every other citizen of the country.

That you are merely dismissing it, when you are so concerned when a nobody like MM is misinformed and speaks something that is not true, just shows us that you only care about your own bias and viewpoint being promoted. The ends justifies the means. If she had misspoken against your viewpoint, like MM does, you would be decrying her words as "lying" and irresponsible.

And I say this as someone who basically agrees with your viewpoint regarding COVID and vaccinations. I think that everyone should be vaccinated. I am just against forcing it upon people at the cost of their jobs or freedom.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                It appears that even those on the left are starting to realize that just like EVERYTHING else he has touched, old Joe is fumbling and bumbling the response to Covid.

Source: 'We have gone backwards': Covid confusion snarls Biden White House

A half dozen former health policy makers, including members of Biden’s transition team, said the Biden administration needs an urgent strategy reset.

President Joe Biden is urging schools to stay open, but there’s a widespread Covid testing shortage.

He calls it the “pandemic of the unvaccinated,” but that’s only confused boosted Americans home sick with the omicron variant.

And the administration hasn’t changed its guidance to urge high-filtration masks despite calls from the medical community, while recent isolation guidance has only added to the uncertainty.

The White House’s stay-the-course strategy on Covid is increasingly colliding with the realities of a roaring pandemic that is forcing schools and businesses to close.

“Biden was elected president, in large part, based on a message of ‘I’m competent, I’m capable, I will tell you the truth and I will get a handle on Covid in a way my predecessor could not and refused to do,’ and that continues to be the number-one issue for most people,” said Kathleen Sebelius, who served as Health and Human Services secretary in the Obama administration.

While praising the administration for quickly being able to make the vaccines widely available, she said that Americans' “lives are still pretty chaotic and kind of messy and when they thought they were getting out of this they are back in it.”

She added, “I do think it's about competence and capability and telling the truth and using all of the tools that are at the president's disposal.”

As the omicron variant began to metastasize across the country last month, Biden and his top health officials largely focused on urging people to get vaccinations and boosters, and on prescribing a mask indoors while greenlighting holiday gatherings for those fully vaccinated.

He has called on schools and businesses to remain open with a strategy that emphasized testing, reassured vaccinated Americans that they are unlikely to get severely ill if they become infected, and promised that the federal government is ready to address testing shortages and overrun hospitals.

But the rapid spread of the variant has created a level of disruption in many Americans’ lives not seen since the early days of the pandemic. Staffing shortages have forced schools and businesses to close and have led to absences in police and fire departments with large numbers of sick first-responders. Airlines have canceled thousands of flights because of staffing shortages, transit systems have shut down bus and subway routes, and the surge in cases has once again crippled the cruise industry.

The demand for testing has overwhelmed the country’s capacity in places that are hardest hit, creating long lines and delaying results for days.

At-home tests are still in short supply, and the administration was widely criticized last month for what appeared to be confusing recommendations for those infected as cases soared.

The isolation period was shortened to five days rather than 10 and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention did not recommend a negative test before leaving isolation after the shortened period — concerning some public health experts and prompting criticism from the American Medical Association, which said in a statement that “a dearth of tests at the moment does not justify omitting a testing requirement to exit a now shortened isolation.”

“In terms of the communication and the trust in the CDC, it feels like we have gone backwards,” said Leana Wen, a former Baltimore health commissioner.

Wen said some of the decisions and the fallout reminded her of the early days of the pandemic response under the Trump administration.

The health experts said that at least part of a new way of communicating should include preparing Americans to accept Covid as endemic, while still attempting to reduce the most disruptive impacts of the virus, like keeping people out of the hospital and reducing serious or fatal illness by promoting vaccinations.

“There’s agreement that the messaging has to be better and that it would be important to be simpler for people and more targeted towards what people need and action guided,” said Ezekiel Emanuel, a key member of Biden’s transition team and a former health policy adviser to the Obama administration. “I think we just need a clear message so people know what the ‘to do’ is.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

There are several points in that article that need addressing

I'm not sure there is any credibility left for him to lose after he threw up his hands in surrender and turned over managing the pandemic to the states.

While praising the administration for quickly being able to make the vaccines widely available, she said that Americans' “lives are still pretty chaotic and kind of messy and when they thought they were getting out of this they are back in it."

Um... That was Trump. A little thing called Operation Warp Speed.

But the rapid spread of the variant has created a level of disruption in many Americans’ lives not seen since the early days of the pandemic. Staffing shortages have forced schools and businesses to close and have led to absences in police and fire departments with large numbers of sick first-responders.

They fired first responders who wouldn't get jabbed, complain about shortages but then WANT SICK AND INFECTED WORKERS TO RETURN TO WORK. Does that make a lick of sense?

The cause of the shortage lies squarely at old Joe's feet. He rejected a "10-page plan" from numerous public health institutions to obtain and distribute Covid tests back in October to help with any surge in testing during and after upcoming the holidays. A bored Biden reacted by looking at his watch and aimlessly wandered off looking for another ice cream cone. Now we have reports of people literally climbing over one another trying to get tested and there being a shortage in available tests.

The Big 3 networks spiked the story and instead focused on the duffer's promise of more testing coming soon. I'm sure that's exactly how they would have reported it if had been Trump who bumbled and bungled this up.

Here it comes. The bell tolls for Biden. Get ready.

Comment