Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Delta variant and all future global variant surges (all are free post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btw, here's the FDA story...

Two senior Food and Drug Administration officials responsible for reviewing Covid-19 vaccine applications are leaving the federal agency this fall, an agency spokesperson confirmed Tuesday.
    Marion Gruber, director of the FDA’s Office of Vaccines Research & Review, and deputy director Phil Krause will exit the agency in October and November, respectively, according to a letter shared with CNBC by FDA spokeswoman Stephanie Caccomo.

“Thank you so much to Marion and Phil for all that they have contributed and continue to contribute to the agency, and thanks so much to each of you for all that you do every day,” FDA top vaccine regulator Dr. Peter Marks said in the letter.

The news was reported earlier by the biotech website BioCentury.

Their announced plans to depart come as the Biden administration prepares to begin offering Covid vaccine booster shots to the general public the week of Sept. 20. Some health experts saw the move as premature and political, especially because the FDA hasn’t finished reviewing data on boosters yet.

Endpoints News, a biotech industry publication, reported that the officials are leaving because they’re frustrated that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and its advisory committee are involved in decisions they think should be up to the FDA.

The final straw was when the White House got ahead of the agency on booster shots, according to Endpoints News, citing a former senior FDA leader.
    Some hope maybe... maybe not.

Comment

• So now there is a new "mu" variant going around.

COVID is starting to sound like a college fraternity house with all those Greek letters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So now there is a new "mu" variant going around.

COVID is starting to sound like a college fraternity house with all those Greek letters.
        And the punchline? This new "mu" variant will apparently require yet another booster to plug the holes ironically left in people's immune by the vaccines.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And the punchline? This new "mu" variant will apparently require yet another booster to plug the holes ironically left in people's immune by the vaccines.
          How would that be any different than what we have been doing with flu shots for the last 80 years?

Comment

How would that be any different than what we have been doing with flu shots for the last 80 years?
            There are some similarities, but it's not exactly the same. As far as similarities are concerned, just as flu vaccines have not eliminated the flu, the China flu vaccines will not eliminate the China flu. In fact, there is good evidence that the China flu vaccines themselves are causing the China flu variants. The biggest difference, however, is the experimental nature of the China flu vaccines which appear to be leaving the vaccinated at a significantly higher risk to the variants than the unvaccinated, which is why we're seeing record high infection rates in Israel with the majority of severe cases among the vaccinated.

Comment

There are some similarities, but it's not exactly the same. As far as similarities are concerned, just as flu vaccines have not eliminated the flu, the China flu vaccines will not eliminate the China flu. In fact, there is good evidence that the China flu vaccines themselves are causing the China flu variants. The biggest difference, however, is the experimental nature of the China flu vaccines which appear to be leaving the vaccinated at a significantly higher risk to the variants than the unvaccinated, which is why we're seeing record high infection rates in Israel with the majority of severe cases among the vaccinated.
              What appears to be happening is that the covid virus is just like other cornoaviruses and mutates pretty regularly, and will probably require yearly boosters to keep up with it. The mutations all seem to be coming from countries that don't have a good vaccination program, like India, Africa, etc. The mu variant started in Colombia. And so far the vaccines have been pretty effective in minimizing the effects of most of the variants which is a huge step up from having to have a completely new vaccine for each flu variant form year to year.

Comment

• Looks like United is taking a hardline against those who have religious exemptions to getting vaxxed. United Airlines warns of unpaid leave for staff given religious vaccine exemptions

Forced unpaid leave. Basically they are firing them but will reinstate them if they show proof of being vaccinated.

It should be interesting how the courts view this end run around the First Amendment for what is in effect religious discrimination.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

After what we've all seen for almost two years, you really need to ask a question like how covid is being treated differently than the flu?

Comment

• Joe is planning to use OSHA to coerce private businesses into enforcing vaccine compliance in their employees.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...anies-n2595630

We live in interesting times.

Comment

Joe is planning to use OSHA to coerce private businesses into enforcing vaccine compliance in their employees.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...anies-n2595630

We live in interesting times.
                      That totalitarianism creep, inch by inch. I'm expecting a lot of legal battles in the future. Police and Fire unions, as I understand it, are already revolting. If it weren't for our legal system and the constitution we'd be Australia by now.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

That totalitarianism creep, inch by inch. I'm expecting a lot of legal battles in the future. Police and Fire unions, as I understand it, are already revolting. If it weren't for our legal system and the constitution we'd be Australia by now.
                        And people living in Australia say, "It's not so bad, and besides, it's for our own good."

Comment

After what we've all seen for almost two years, you really need to ask a question like how covid is being treated differently than the flu?
                          Sparko was referring to the likelihood of regular booster shots. He was not referring to the social and economic impact brought about by this pandemic
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

What appears to be happening is that the covid virus is just like other cornoaviruses and mutates pretty regularly, and will probably require yearly boosters to keep up with it. The mutations all seem to be coming from countries that don't have a good vaccination program, like India, Africa, etc. The mu variant started in Colombia. And so far the vaccines have been pretty effective in minimizing the effects of most of the variants which is a huge step up from having to have a completely new vaccine for each flu variant form year to year.
                            A well considered reply but.....just for the record ....Africa is not a country.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

He's sadly drunk the Branch Covidian kool-ade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

He's sadly drunk the Branch Covidian kool-ade.
                                All I'll say is if I had folks like Starlight and other obnoxious leftists on this board backing me and my posts, I'd reconsider the positions I hold.

Comment