Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Delta variant and all future global variant surges (all are free post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Accept this . . .

Source: https://www.path.org/articles/new-variants-will-covid-19-tests-still-work/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3f6HBhDHARIsAD_i3D-iDfmG0HsUT8bFV8teAKwXTfGRmLT_x0xOjRM4V3piYCDGVxK5a bsaAn0ZEALw_wcB

Q: What about the Delta variant? Why are experts so worried about it?

According to WHO, the Delta variant (B.167.2) is the “fastest and fittest” variant yet—as much as 50 to 60 percent more transmissible than the Alpha variant (B.1.1.7), which was already 50 per cent more transmissible than the original strain of COVID-19.

“The Delta variant poses a serious risk to people who are not fully vaccinated, as it is highly contagious.” Lorraine says. “There is also some indication that the Delta variant may result in more severe disease.”

A study in Scotland, published in The Lancet, found the hospitalization rate of patients with the Delta variant was about 85 percent higher than that of people with the Alpha variant.

That’s a troubling statistic for all countries around the world, but particularly for those with limited medical infrastructure. Right now, cases of the Delta variant are beginning to surge on the African continent—most notably in South Africa where fewer than 1 in 20 people have been vaccinated and cases are predicted to surpass peak numbers already seen.

© Copyright Original Source

Stay informed . . .
    Your link is from 2 plus months before mine. We've learned quite a bit since then and seen Delta in numerous countries and thus know much more.

Comment

From your source . . .

Source: https://fortune.com/2021/07/10/covid-delta-variant-symptoms-different/

Coronaviruses contain multitudes. Terrible multitudes, but multitudes nonetheless. They can cause everything from the usually-benign common cold to far more serious respiratory conditions such as SARS and MERS and, of course, the novel coronavirus which causes COVID and has claimed more than four million lives around the world to date. 9

Unsure what you seem to think this means. ..

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Being more contagious does not mean it cannot be milder. The FACT is that as Delta has taken over, milder cold-like symptoms have become predominate and classic covid symptoms of a year ago are seldom reported. Death rate has also decreased
        The references I gave and citing your references were very clear; the symptoms were ONLY milder for those who were fully vaccinated.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Unsure what you seem to think this means. ..
          The highlighted was in very clear English:

They can cause everything from the usually-benign common cold to far more serious respiratory conditions such as SARS and MERS and, of course, the novel coronavirus which causes COVID and has claimed more than four million lives around the world to date. 9
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Your link is from 2 plus months before mine. We've learned quite a bit since then and seen Delta in numerous countries and thus know much more.
            Things have not changed that the Delta variant is more contagious and more deadly then the previous variants. Besides you are misrepresenting the reference you cited.

Source: https://asm.org/Articles/2021/July/How-Dangerous-is-the-Delta-Variant-B-1-617-2

2. Is the Delta variant more dangerous than other variants of concern?

According to surveys conducted in the U.K., where Delta accounts for ~90% of current COVID-19 cases, symptoms of Delta tend to be a little different than other strains, but that does not necessarily mean the associated symptoms are more severe. Fever, headache, sore throat and runny nose are common, while cough and loss of smell are not. Other reports link Delta to more serious symptoms, including hearing impairment, severe gastrointestinal issues and blood clots leading to tissue death and gangrene. Research is ongoing to determine if Delta infection is associated with increased hospitalization and death. One early study assessing the risk of hospital admission in Scotland reported that hospitalization is twice as likely in unvaccinated individuals with Delta than in unvaccinated individuals with Alpha.

Case numbers and hospitalizations are once again on the rise in the U.S., especially in states where vaccination percentages are low and the Delta variant is surging. On July 16, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported a 7-day average increase in new COVID-19 cases of 69.3% and a 35% increase in hospitalizations. Still, it is difficult to determine whether Delta is actually making people sicker than previous forms of the virus or if it is simply circulating amongst more vulnerable populations where case numbers are high, vaccination rates are low and increased stress on hospital systems is impacting patient care and disease outcomes.

What is clear is that the majority of hospitalizations and COVID-19-associated deaths in the U.S. are occurring in unvaccinated people, leading to a chilling warning from CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky that “this is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated.”

Frank

Comment

Except it is.

with the delta overtaking as the dominant strain, deaths are lower (the latest UK numbers I saw indicated the fatality rate dropped to 0.2 percent or lower) and in addition, symptoms have shifted away from the classic covid symptoms.. I'm speaking facts, which you don't seem to know any of just like you falsely claimed a much lower LA vaccination number than actually is the case.
              https://fortune.com/2021/07/10/covid...oms-different/

Problem; You argued by weblink, and did not specifically cite the reference to support your argument.

Waiting for you to specifically cite this reference to support your assertions. . .

Frank

Comment

Except it is.

with the delta overtaking as the dominant strain, deaths are lower (the latest UK numbers I saw indicated the fatality rate dropped to 0.2 percent or lower) and in addition, symptoms have shifted away from the classic covid symptoms.. I'm speaking facts, which you don't seem to know any of just like you falsely claimed a much lower LA vaccination number than actually is the case.
                https://fortune.com/2021/07/10/covid...oms-different/

What you cited here does not reach the conclusions you claim You need a scientific of medical reference reference that actually states that the Delta variant is less verilantordeadly than the previous variants. The figures above can be easily explained by increased effectiveness of treatments over time.

Frank

Comment

The references I gave and citing your references were very clear; the symptoms were ONLY milder for those who were fully vaccinated.
                  Your reference was to something two plus months older than mine, with old info.

Your quotation of my source didn't have anything to do with our conversation.

And no, my source was very clear the symptoms are milder for people, vaccinated or not (indeed, primarily for unvaccinated, as they're the ones more likely to get it if they have no natural immunity).

Comment

The highlighted was in very clear English:

They can cause everything from the usually-benign common cold to far more serious respiratory conditions such as SARS and MERS and, of course, the novel coronavirus which causes COVID and has claimed more than four million lives around the world to date. 9
                    Again, not sure what bearing you believe that has to do with anything that we are discussing. What do you believe that your quotation indicates?

Comment

Things have not changed that the Delta variant is more contagious and more deadly then the previous variants. Besides you are misrepresenting the reference you cited.

Source: https://asm.org/Articles/2021/July/How-Dangerous-is-the-Delta-Variant-B-1-617-2

2. Is the Delta variant more dangerous than other variants of concern?

According to surveys conducted in the U.K., where Delta accounts for ~90% of current COVID-19 cases, symptoms of Delta tend to be a little different than other strains, but that does not necessarily mean the associated symptoms are more severe. Fever, headache, sore throat and runny nose are common, while cough and loss of smell are not. Other reports link Delta to more serious symptoms, including hearing impairment, severe gastrointestinal issues and blood clots leading to tissue death and gangrene. Research is ongoing to determine if Delta infection is associated with increased hospitalization and death. One early study assessing the risk of hospital admission in Scotland reported that hospitalization is twice as likely in unvaccinated individuals with Delta than in unvaccinated individuals with Alpha.

Case numbers and hospitalizations are once again on the rise in the U.S., especially in states where vaccination percentages are low and the Delta variant is surging. On July 16, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported a 7-day average increase in new COVID-19 cases of 69.3% and a 35% increase in hospitalizations. Still, it is difficult to determine whether Delta is actually making people sicker than previous forms of the virus or if it is simply circulating amongst more vulnerable populations where case numbers are high, vaccination rates are low and increased stress on hospital systems is impacting patient care and disease outcomes.

What is clear is that the majority of hospitalizations and COVID-19-associated deaths in the U.S. are occurring in unvaccinated people, leading to a chilling warning from CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky that “this is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated.”

Lol, your own source destroys your own claim.

Comment

Problem; You argued by weblink, and did not specifically cite the reference to support your argument.

Waiting for you to specifically cite this reference to support your assertions. . .
                        Nope, I was informed by mods that that is not argument by weblink when someone did so to me. Nice try.

I already cited the reference. If you cannot read, that's your problem.

Comment

What you cited here does not reach the conclusions you claim You need a scientific of medical reference reference that actually states that the Delta variant is less verilantordeadly than the previous variants. The figures above can be easily explained by increased effectiveness of treatments over time.
                          Again, virulence is not an indication of deadliness or severity of symptoms. It's an indication of how readily it can infect a host.

Look, I understand, you've bought fully into the fearmongering that the media has fed you. I get it. But the rest of us do not live in fear of covid or its lesser variants. I already had it. It sucked. I got better. Now I have natural immunity. Meanwhile the chuckleheads at teh CDC are backpeddling yet again and removing one of the few reasons people had to get the vaccine (not having to wear masks). The longer you let them keep you in fear, the more hold they'll have over you. Wake up.
                          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 07-27-2021, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Lol, your own source destroys your own claim.
                            Pretty typical for shuny. Not the first time he's been refuted by his own source.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Federal mask mandates initiated. Federal lockdowns coming...

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                Federal mask mandates initiated. Federal lockdowns coming...
                                Despite the fact that masks have repeatedly been proven to be worthless for stopping viruses.

(And for the record, it's not actually a mandate but a recommendation from the CDC, although I'm sure a lot of state and local politicians will treat it like a mandate.)
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment