Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden Admin flagging "problematic posts" on facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden Admin flagging "problematic posts" on facebook

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/biden-administration-flagging-problematic-posts-202600638.html

“In terms of actions we are taking or that we’re working to take, I should say, from the federal government, we’ve increased disinformation research and tracking within the surgeon general’s office. We're flagging problematic posts for Facebook that spread disinformation," she said.

© Copyright Original Source

So, this is interesting territory. You have the government telling a private company that specific posts are problematic. If the private company then takes action on that speech, is it now acting as a government agent? Is that a 1A issue?

Furthermore, is the government flagging these posts at all a 1A problem?

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    Source: https://news.yahoo.com/biden-administration-flagging-problematic-posts-202600638.html

“In terms of actions we are taking or that we’re working to take, I should say, from the federal government, we’ve increased disinformation research and tracking within the surgeon general’s office. We're flagging problematic posts for Facebook that spread disinformation," she said.

So, this is interesting territory. You have the government telling a private company that specific posts are problematic. If the private company then takes action on that speech, is it now acting as a government agent? Is that a 1A issue?

Furthermore, is the government flagging these posts at all a 1A problem?
    As I noted elsewhere, by using private entities to do their dirty work old Joe's keepers are attempting end-run around the Bill of Rights.

But at least he doesn't tweet mean things.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      As I noted elsewhere, by using private entities to do their dirty work old Joe's keepers are attempting end-run around the Bill of Rights.
      Here's hoping there are still some sane judges in this country who will strike this down. I suppose the biggest obstacle is proving that any given post was removed because it was flagged by the federal government.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Here's hoping there are still some sane judges in this country who will strike this down. I suppose the biggest obstacle is proving that any given post was removed because it was flagged by the federal government.
        I think once the government flags it, it may no longer be relevant "why." In other words, it may be a given that once that Government has flagged it as a problem, facebook cannot take any action without it being a government agent, regardless of whether there were other justifiable reasons to take it down.
        Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 07-16-2021, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The crux of the matter, as I see it, is whether if a private entity is doing something on its own and the government merely shines a light on something which they respond to, is that an illegal circumvention of the Constitution. I would not care to bet on how this will be decided in the courts.

If allowed this will be a Pandora's Box that will radically change how government operates.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The crux of the matter, as I see it, is whether if a private entity is doing something on its own and the government merely shines a light on something which they respond to, is that an illegal circumvention of the Constitution. I would not care to bet on how this will be decided in the courts.

If allowed this will be a Pandora's Box that will radically change how government operates.
            In the military there's a thing called "unlawful command influence." This is where someone in authority directly or indirectly interferes with a judicial hearing. The thing is, that merely stating an opinion relevant to the case at hand, may be enough to run afoul of undue influence.

Source: https://www.holloman.af.mil/Portals/101/documents/JA%20Documents/MJ%20Talking%20Papers/Talking_Paper_-_Unlawful_Command_Influence_2014_.pdf?ver=2016-11-28-145710-293

Superior commanders must not make comments that would imply they expect a particular result in a given case or type of cases, examples of unlawful command influence include:
            -- A commander states at an officers’ call that all drug users must be removed from the Air Force. Potential court members for an upcoming court involving drugs are present. The inference may be that the commander expects the court to impose a punitive discharge.
            -- A commander makes comments on his displeasure at the light sentences adjudged by previous courts. The concern is future panel members may adjudge a harsher sentence than they might otherwise in order to please the commander.
            -- A commander expresses his concern about court-martial cases in which subordinate commanders preferred charges, recommended a court, and then testified during sentencing on behalf of the accused. The suggestion as they refrain from testifying for the accused in upcoming courts. Any attempt to discourage a witness from testifying is improper.
            -- A commander, speaking informally to a group of officers, jokingly says he does not care how long a particular court takes, as long as the members “hang the SOB.” The impression is that he believes the accused to be guilty and expects the members to agree.
            -- A convening authority may not exclude classes of individuals from serving as court members if done to obtain a more severe sentence
            -- Interfering with a party’s access to witnesses
            -- Intent to actually interfere with a case is not required. Command actions that unintentionally discourage witnesses to testify or cause witnesses to alter their testimony may constitute UCI.

While this is not the military, the same concept may apply. By merely flagging the post, the government has now let facebook know that it is unhappy with the post. Given the power/potential power that the government has over facebook, this sort of influence may be enough for the courts to rule on it and the 1A.

Comment

This, I think, is far beyond the government "merely shining a light on something". What business does the government have shining a light on anything in this context? If it breaks the law, then charge the individual with a crime. If no laws were broken, then the government needs to keep out of it.

As it relates to the internet, the first step is the government "flagging" posts on Facebook that are subsequently removed. This ends with the government "flagging" entire websites that internet service providers will be expected to disallow access to.

Comment

This is similar to what the Chinese Government does with their Internet. Of course in China, the post just gets deleted and the poster may get in trouble.

Is it just me or do liberals' want to rule the US using the same techniques as the Chinese government does?
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Shades of '1984' - Big Brother spying and censoring free speech.

Hey liberals, remember when you used to claim that Trump was a wannabe dictator? Well Biden is becoming an ACTUAL one.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                    Is it just me or do liberals' want to rule the US using the same techniques as the Chinese government does?
                    It's not just you. Look at the current protests happening in Cuba, and notice how long it took for the White House to even suggest that communism may not be an ideal form of government.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Shades of '1984' - Big Brother spying and censoring free speech.

Hey liberals, remember when you used to claim that Trump was a wannabe dictator? Well Biden is becoming an ACTUAL one.
                      You keep forgetting the most important difference.

At least he doesn't tweet mean things.

Comment

It's more than obvious they were doing this even before Biden got elected. There's no possible way the NYP article about Hunter Biden's laptop getting blocked by twitter and then all other social media platforms censoring the story wasn't politically coordinated. They're just being open about it now in the name of "public health." Then it will soon be anything the admin doesn't like whether it's related to the pandemic or not.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          It's more than obvious they were doing this even before Biden got elected. There's no possible way the NYP article about Hunter Biden's laptop getting blocked by twitter and then all other social media platforms censoring the story wasn't politically coordinated. They're just being open about it now in the name of "public health." Then it will soon be anything the admin doesn't like whether it's related to the pandemic or not.
                          can'tdisagree.gif

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            While not a great thing, facebook and other social media coordinating with a campaign is arguably legal. (Barring campaign finance "thing of value" type stuff).

On the other hand, acting as an arm of the government squashing speech could actually run afoul of the 1a.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

While not a great thing, facebook and other social media coordinating with a campaign is arguably legal. (Barring campaign finance "thing of value" type stuff).

On the other hand, acting as an arm of the government squashing speech could actually run afoul of the 1a.
                              All their allies in Social Media need do is declare they were looking for "extremist content" before, and even had asked for tips from informants

Source: Facebook asks: Are your friends becoming extremists?

July 1 (Reuters) - Facebook Inc (FB.O) is starting to warn some users they might have seen "extremist content" on the social media site, the company said on Thursday.

Screenshots shared on Twitter showed a notice asking "Are you concerned that someone you know is becoming an extremist?" and another that alerted users "you may have been exposed to harmful extremist content recently." Both included links to "get support."

Source

Contact us and tell us all about it and "get support"

And declare that the government is no different than any other a tipster and what they provide is nothing more than a tip. Something they would have to "investigate and verify" (translation: rubber stamp) before acting on.

Comment