Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

North Carolina County Doing Door To Door Vaccinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I got mine second hand at half price. It doesn't get much use now though.
    Yeah, I still read books, but reference libraries for personal use are SO much easier to access on the web.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      In the 60s my parents got Britannica, Colliers and Comptons encyclopedias (I think my dad won at least two of them in contests at work).

On rainy days growing up (pre cable and internet) when I got bored I'd grab a volume from one of them and start thumbing through it, stopping to read whatever got my interest.
      Yeah, I remember you showing me all them nekked wommens in Africa.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, I still read books, but reference libraries for personal use are SO much easier to access on the web.
        For the most part. Some stuff is just not available. And then with books you can put notes in margins. I'll often put page numbers by discussions of a similar nature or the same general topic so I can find them quickly (book indexes are generally abysmally inadequate).

OTOH, word search sure is nice. And simply using copy pasta is so much easier than writing something out even when you have the book available.

As I noted on another thread...

[...]

I've played Dungeons and Dragons on and off since the 80s. What does that have to do with anything? Well, nowadays it is primarily online when I play. Not video games, but with other players I know. Generally I end up "DMing" (running the game) largely because everyone likes the adventures I usually run. Some times I have to slap something together quick and having every issue of "Dungeon" magazine (a magazine that printed short adventures for the game) printed and several dozen old adventure modules to "borrow" pieces from still allows for an enjoyable time.

So what does that have to do with anything? When I'm borrowing bits and pieces from multiple adventures I don't dig out the various modules and magazine issues I had in mind to use. I go online to various sites (The Trove is a current favorite) and download a pdf version from which I can copy and snip from bits from.

Why? Because it is so much easier than tediously writing out things by hand.

The exact same thing goes here whether I'm posting in Apologetics discussing theological matters or in Nat Sci discussing science. Unfortunately, most of my science texts that I rely on are too current to be found on the interwebz so when I quote from them I have to do so by hand.

So in the end, for varying reasons, I still use both.

I should note that since originally writing that The Trove appears to have gone belly up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

For the most part. Some stuff is just not available. And then with books you can put notes in margins. I'll often put page numbers by discussions of a similar nature or the same general topic so I can find them quickly (book indexes are generally abysmally inadequate).

OTOH, word search sure is nice. And simply using copy pasta is so much easier than writing something out even when you have the book available.

As I noted on another thread...

So in the end, for varying reasons, I still use both.

I should note that since originally writing that The Trove appears to have gone belly up.
          What he said.

Comment

Yeah, I remember you showing me all them nekked wommens in Africa.
            Britannica did have, IIRC, all of two "nudes" in it. The others none.

Strange the things you remember.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Britannica did have, IIRC, all of two "nudes" in it. The others none.

Strange the things you remember.
              I do remember, as a kid, being shocked to see pictures of women in Africa with full frontal nudity.

Comment

I grew up with a 1965 World Book Encyclopedia. The main thing I remember was there was a glossy green page with a frog's anatomy in great detail.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I do remember, as a kid, being shocked to see pictures of women in Africa with full frontal nudity.
                  Typically, that was National Geographic

Comment

And now the CDC is encouraging those who have received their experimental China flu shot to seek out their unvaccinated neighbors and "make their vaccination happen".

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...nation-happen/

This has all become rather disturbing. I suppose the next step is to start reporting anybody you suspect of being unvaccinated to the government? Why are they being so insistent about this? What's really going on? You can't convince me that at this point it's really about saving lives.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-16-2021, 06:04 AM.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      And now the CDC is encouraging those who have received their experimental China flu shot to seek out their unvaccinated neighbors and "make their vaccination happen".

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...nation-happen/

This is has all become rather disturbing. I suppose the next step is to start reporting anybody you suspect of being unvaccinated to the government? Why are they being so insistent about this? What's really going on? You can't convince me that at this point it's really about saving lives.
                      From the footage I have seen, it looks like this is only going on in government housing neighborhoods.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

From the footage I have seen, it looks like this is only going on in government housing neighborhoods.
                        for now

Comment

Jen Psaki: "We are quite focused on directly communicating ... why it's important to get vaccinated, why these vaccines are safe, why, uh, they can still kill you even if you are under the age of 27. We need to be clear and direct about our messaging."

What?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Jen Psaki: "We are quite focused on directly communicating ... why it's important to get vaccinated, why these vaccines are safe, why, uh, they can still kill you even if you are under the age of 27. We need to be clear and direct about our messaging."

What?
                            Let not your heart be troubled, she will surely circle back.

Comment