Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's 2024 plan to censor private phone texts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's 2024 plan to censor private phone texts

Just imagine if Trump actually had proposed this, the cries of justifiable fascism ringing from the left base. This is wild.

A recent report revealed the Biden administration has plans to work with tech companies and SMS carriers to monitor and combat misinformation, which was immediately met with skepticism and criticism by Republican lawmakers

On Monday, Politico reported plans from the Biden administration to battle misinformation in regards to the COVID-19 vaccine.

"The White House has decided to hit back harder on misinformation and scare tactics after Republican lawmakers and conservative activists pledged to fight the administration’s stated plans to go ‘door-to-door’ to increase vaccination rates," Politico wrote. "The pushback will include directly calling out social media platforms and conservative news shows that promote such tactics."

The article continues how pro-Biden groups and the Democratic National Committee will work with SMS carriers to "dispel misinformation" in peoples' private text messages.

"Biden allied groups, including the Democratic National Committee, are also planning to engage fact-checkers more aggressively and work with SMS carriers to dispel misinformation about vaccines that is sent over social media and text messages," Politico reports.

As of a few hours ago, I suddenly can't access my Verizon / AOL imap account. Pretty sure I'm a test case for the NSA.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

What the heck??

That is a direct violation of the 4th amendment. This is communist China level spying on citizens.

Comment

Here is a question. If the phone carriers can monitor the content of SMS messages then why the hell don't they us that power to eliminate spam texts? Hmm?

Comment

Looking at the original Politico report, I think what they are trying to say is that they will be using SMS messaging to send out their messages.

Nothing there suggests to me that they are looking to censor, or do a facebook style fact check filter on texts that are being sent out.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
            Looking at the original Politico report, I think what they are trying to say is that they will be using SMS messaging to send out their messages.

Nothing there suggests to me that they are looking to censor, or do a facebook style fact check filter on texts that are being sent out.
            I don't know. It reads like they want to "fact check" text messages, which means they would need to know what is being texted in order to counter it.

The wording was: "Biden allied groups, including the Democratic National Committee, are also planning to engage fact-checkers more aggressively and work with SMS carriers to dispel misinformation about vaccines that is sent over social media and text messages,"

You can only "dispel" something if you know it is there in the first place. Which means reading it.

Also according to this tweet:

tweet.jpg

they want to "mete out" text messages (editing them) and she mentions they actually "reviewed" someone's text message.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Here is a question. If the phone carriers can monitor the content of SMS messages then why the hell don't they us that power to eliminate spam texts? Hmm?
              I have never received a single spam text, and you can too by simply following my single step technique that the phone companies don't want you to know.

Don't own a cellphone

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Are you sure? I don't see anything in that article that a makes that distinction clear at all. Nonetheless, it's still better to overreact so it doesn't happen than to downplay it and take that chance. On another note, the vaccine propaganda has been raised to absurd levels at this point. That's just going to make folks who don't want it even more suspicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I don't know. It reads like they want to "fact check" text messages, which means they would need to know what is being texted in order to counter it.

The wording was: "Biden allied groups, including the Democratic National Committee, are also planning to engage fact-checkers more aggressively and work with SMS carriers to dispel misinformation about vaccines that is sent over social media and text messages,"

You can only "dispel" something if you know it is there in the first place. Which means reading it.

Also according to this tweet:

tweet.jpg

they want to "mete out" text messages (editing them) and she mentions they actually "reviewed" someone's text message.
                  Expect silence from most of those on the left as they scratch their heads while thinking "I thought it was Trump who was supposed to be the wannabe fascist dictator"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I have never received a single spam text, and you can too by simply following my single step technique that the phone companies don't want you to know.

Don't own a cellphone
                    For those who can't see the tip, it is "Don't own a cellphone".

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Expect silence from most of those on the left as they scratch their heads while thinking "I thought it was Trump who was supposed to be the wannabe fascist dictator"
                      That's because liberals are not actually opposed to censorship so long as it is used against their ideological opposition. Voltaire said, "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend your right to say it." Liberals say, "I can't refute what you have to say, so I will deny your right to say it."
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

For those who can't see the tip, it is "Don't own a cellphone".
                        Works 100% of the time

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That's because liberals are not actually opposed to censorship so long as it is used against their ideological opposition. Voltaire said, "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend your right to say it." Liberals say, "I can't refute what you have to say, so I will deny your right to say it."
                          And what's sad is that the whole Free Speech movement in the 60s had its roots in liberalism of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            Just imagine if Trump actually had proposed this, the cries of justifiable fascism ringing from the left base. This is wild.
                            "The article continues how pro-Biden groups and the Democratic National Committee will work with SMS carriers to "dispel misinformation" in peoples' private text messages."

The Politico article doesn't say anything about "peoples' private text messages".

Comment

I think they are talking about broadcast text messages. (Not saying I think fact-checking such messages is a good idea, but it's clearly not the same as mucking with private messages.)

Comment