Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

As US states allow pot sales, Dutch reverse course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dee Dee, what exactly were your reasons for moving to Colorado? ;)
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

The pot of course!
      The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

J/K

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I think you are seeing different aspects of the question. Pot heads are likely to be less trouble as tourists, I agree (as an ex pothead).

The health question is different. There are health benefits to moderation in drinking red wine, but what benefits for general alcohol consumption in moderation?
          IIRC when the World Cup was in Portugal a few years ago the police cracked down hard on any signs of drunkenness and public drinking associating it with the violent hooliganism seen at so many soccer/football games while at the same time giving tacit approval to those getting high smoking pot seeing them as being peaceful and not a source of any trouble.

While smoking marijuana is definitely not safe (ask any fireman about the dangers of deeply inhaling smoke and holding it in) despite having some well documented medicinal benefits in some cases, the laws prohibiting it, IMHO, cause more problems than its use for most people.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            Dee Dee, what exactly were your reasons for moving to Colorado? ;)

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
            The pot of course!

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
            J/K
            I have heard that since legalization that out of state applications to enroll in colleges in Colorado have increased substantially. If true I'm sure it is purely a coincidence

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

However, the Bible has no problem with alcohol use "to make the heart glad" i.e, for recreation and emotional health. I would argue that moderate pot smoking for some people does the same thing. There is an inherent need in humans for mood alteration. Some food does that as well.
              The atmosphere of a bar is generally far, far, different than the atmosphere of a pothead den. Alcohol inspires pro-social acts that can be sometimes dangerous, often truthful or revealing, and usually hilarious, whereas most pot smokers are more off in their own little world getting the most out of their particular buzz, and most socialization is of the furtive and ineffectual variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                The atmosphere of a bar is generally far, far, different than the atmosphere of a pothead den. Alcohol inspires pro-social acts that can be sometimes dangerous, often truthful or revealing, and usually hilarious, whereas most pot smokers are more off in their own little world getting the most out of their particular buzz, and most socialization is of the furtive and ineffectual variety.
                The way you describe alcohol also describes pot, and the way you describe pot also describes alcohol.
                Last edited by Psychic Missile; 03-09-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Don't know what kinds of potheads you know but doesn't describe my observations, as any trip to a concert of a hippy dippy sort will show. Those potheads are very social. Hell they will form communes.

sigpic

Comment

Vis a vis bad to inhale smoke-- that is why edibles and vaporizers are the rage in Denver.

sigpic

Comment

I've never touched pot in my life but I've had many an interesting conversation with potheads. I can't say the same about my interactions with drunk people. (Three years of working overnight college dorm security will make you jaded fast.)
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Considering that most pot smoking experiences that I'm aware of consisted of passing around a joint (or pipe) with a great deal of social interaction I can't say that what you describe matches up with what I have seen.

Comment

What are you thinking of? The Beer Hall Putsch?
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

ITT people arguing which form of brain cell annihilation is better.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              What are you thinking of? The Beer Hall Putsch?
                              badum tsss

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                While smoking marijuana is definitely not safe (ask any fireman about the dangers of deeply inhaling smoke and holding it in) despite having some well documented medicinal benefits in some cases, the laws prohibiting it, IMHO, cause more problems than its use for most people.
                                Time for brownies.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment