Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Federal Court Overturns the FDA's Ban of GED's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Court Overturns the FDA's Ban of GED's

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litiga...ts-2021-07-06/

GED's or "Graduated Electronic Decelerator" is basically a more intense version of a "shock collar" that some people use to try and keep their dogs from barking.

I can't find the information on the specs anywhere else, so wikipedia will have to suffice.

Three versions of the GED are known to have been used: The GED-1, GED-3a, and GED-4. Of these devices, the GED-1 is the least powerful and the GED-4 is the most powerful. The GED-1 produces a shock of 30 mA, lasting two seconds. The GED-4 produces a shock of 90 mA, lasting two seconds. For comparison, a cattle prod* produces a shock of not more than 10 mA lasting a fraction of a second.[3] According to James Eason, a professor of biomedical engineering at Washington and Lee University, the GED's lowest shock setting is about twice the threshold that pain researchers consider tolerable to most adult humans.[9]

And this from The New York Times.

“Evidence indicates a number of significant psychological and physical risks are associated with the use of these devices, including worsening of underlying symptoms, depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, pain, burns and tissue damage,” the F.D.A.’s statement said. “In addition, many people who are exposed to these devices have intellectual or developmental disabilities that make it difficult to communicate their pain.”

How can this possibly be ok?

*These are disabled kids who are being shocked by something anywhere from three to nine times more powerful, and longer lasting than a !$##@#$ cattle prod.

Children? At first I thought they were for animals, which would still be terrible. Why???
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Looks like electroshock therapy in disguise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's torture. I vote whoever came up with doing that should get a taste if their own medicine to see how it feels. I've heard cops have to be tased before using a taser.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          ​ Children? At first I thought they were for animals, which would still be terrible. Why???
          They are using these horrible devices on disabled children. Primarily on those with autism. As for why they do it, I can't comprehend that one myself.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Looks like electroshock therapy in disguise.
          That's because it is. Not to be confused with electro convulsive therapy, which can be used to treat depression. ECT also has much stricter guidelines on usage.

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          It's torture. I vote whoever came up with doing that should get a taste if their own medicine to see how it feels. I've heard cops have to be tased before using a taser.
          Despite the recent protests from some parents who viewed the "treatment" as a "last resort" the inventor of the device has this to say.

[The GED] could be used everywhere... It could and should be used—not as a last resort, because it has no side effects. I think it should be used in the schools. Prisons have the problem that people see that as coercion. But if it works here, why shouldn’t it be used elsewhere?

— Matthew Israel

The Judge Rotenburg Educational Center has plenty of history of nasty things happening.

Comment

They'll have some explaining to do on Judgement day then. So much for the golden rule! I doubt they'd want to be painfully shocked for no good reason.

Comment

Reminds me of this...

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Hmm... someone needs a shock collar and it's not the kids!

Comment

That sounds horrible.

Comment

My daughter is reaching her teen years.....can I get one of those devices. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      That sounds horrible.
                      There is a reason it was banned in the first place, and a reason why it is considered torture by the U.N. Despite numerous deaths and lawsuits regarding these devices and the Judge Rotenburg Educational Center itself it manages to stay open and heavily funded. Here is a bit of their funding information from their wikipedia page.

Source: Wikipedia

It costs $275,000 per year to keep a resident at the JRC, which is paid for in tax dollars.[70] The center advertises a near-zero rejection rate, and has said that it is a good fit for any teen who is failing school, refusing to attend, or in a psychiatric or correctional setting.[71] The center has sent out promotional materials to various institutions, and has had some success in picking up inmates from New York's juvenile jails and from Rikers Island.[72] Some residents are sent to there by the foster care system.[73] As of 2017, the JRC had an annual revenue of $70 million.[74]

The JRC is incorporated as a tax-exempt nonprofit organization.[74] In 2020, it received $1.7 million in COVID-19 relief funds.[75]
                      Overbilling[edit]

In 2006, it was found that 14 of the school's 17 psychologists, including the director of psychology, lacked proper licenses. Because the state reimburses the JRC for services rendered by doctors, the JRC had overbilled the state by nearly $800,000. As of 2008, the state had not collected the money.[6] For misrepresenting licensing status of the psychologists, the Board of Registration of Psychologists fined the JRC $43,000, and Matthew Israel $29,600.[76][77]

© Copyright Original Source

They are supported by a supposed autism advocacy group known as Autism Speaks, which should say a lot about Autism Speaks itself.

Comment

How could anyone support that kiddie concentration camp? No one should be treated the way those young people are treated. Why do certain people think some disabled people are subhuman?

Comment