Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should we abolish gendered sports in schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we abolish gendered sports in schools?

Quick question.

Should we remove gendered sports in schools and make them entirely merit based? I.E. There's a varsity and a Junior Varsity team, all are free to try out, and the best performing get on the teams? No more girls teams. If girls want to be on a sports teams, they have to beat the boys.

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    Quick question.

Should we remove gendered sports in schools and make them entirely merit based? I.E. There's a varsity and a Junior Varsity team, all are free to try out, and the best performing get on the teams? No more girls teams. If girls want to be on a sports teams, they have to beat the boys.
    For all but a few events like archery, it will all but eliminate girls' ability to participate.

Interestingly, the majority of medals we win in the Olympics are by the women largely in thanks to Title IX. Very few other nations put much of any effort promoting women's sports.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      For all but a few events like archery, it will all but eliminate girls' ability to participate.
      That was my thought as well. Abolishing gendered sports would be effectively equivalent to abolishing women in sports.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Quick question.

No. Let's just abolish the warehouse schooling model. Seriously, what is the point to cramming thousands of kids into a single building for six hours? Do we just like watching them act - literally - like chickens?

Home and small schooling models have the advantage - both in the pacing of education and allowing the kids to play in a less structured, more creative mode.

Who knows? Maybe they'll finally develop a working version of Calvinball!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Quick question.

I say no, only because we want to keep the friction between the trans community (who support males that pretend to be female competing against females) and feminists going strong. Hopefully at some point, there will be an all-out war between them.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Interestingly, the majority of medals we win in the Olympics are by the women largely in thanks to Title IX. Very few other nations put much of any effort promoting women's sports.
            True story: the one time our preselected PE softball team won was when I was captain. I knew little of the sport beyond the rules and that I can't hit very far - but I had long since realized that PE games are lost in the final innings. So I set up a rotation with bad, okay, good and heavy hitter each batting cycle. We had 20 something runs when PE ended - and the other team had batted first. But after they got their eight or nine runs, they had no one that could either make it to base or get to second. We actually played several innings - but our team got five or six runs every inning where they had several innings of three straight outs.

Also true: even the most boy crazy girls had zero desire to play co-ed. It was no fun - our best female hitter only rarely got a ball over the fence. Their worst guy might do so occasionally. There's no strategy that would let you even have a chance of winning - the guys aren't stuck with a ton of people who can't hit or can't run well enough to make it to base up against guys who can field and throw very fast.

Another true story: My one and only home run was in eighth grade PE. Like I said, I don't hit real well so the fielders all come in on me. I got a ground ball rolling out toward third base - which was good because it gave me my best shot of getting to first. Anyway, I was pumping my little legs when I saw the ball sailing toward first. Then it sailed right over the first baseman's head. By the time i rounded the base, he was climbing the fence to go get the ball out of the parking lot.

What the heck, I was giving it my best try - and then the ball comes whizzing over my head... And over the heads of BOTH the second baseman and the centerfielder, who took off after it. On to third!

I was sooo happy to be heading to third that I almost stopped when the ball went over the third basemen's head and the fence and WAAAY out into the parking lot. The coach waved me on so I ran for all I was worth all the way to the plate!

My next at bat, none of those guys came in on me!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

No. Let's just abolish the warehouse schooling model. Seriously, what is the point to cramming thousands of kids into a single building for six hours? Do we just like watching them act - literally - like chickens?

Home and small schooling models have the advantage - both in the pacing of education and allowing the kids to play in a less structured, more creative mode.

Who knows? Maybe they'll finally develop a working version of Calvinball!

cb-dance.gif

calvinball.gif
              This lower one has two images

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment