Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Football is Gay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The padding allows for impacts that no human body could long withstand without which and is part of the excitement of the game. And even with that we've been learning that a substantial portion of the players end up with permanent damage most notably due to all of the concussions.
    It is often debated which sport is the most brutal, and American football usually comes out on top because the pads allow players to hit each other with extraordinary force. The problem of brain injury stems from the fact that while a helmet can protect the skull, it can't stop the brain from sloshing around inside. Curiously, it was predicted probably a decade ago that the concussion scandal was going to put an end to football (George Will once observed that football is doomed in any society where parents put helmets on toddlers riding tricycles) but it seems that politics and not player health is going to be the real culprit.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It is often debated which sport is the most brutal, and American football usually comes out on top because the pads allow players to hit each other with extraordinary force. The problem of brain injury stems from the fact that while a helmet can protect the skull, it can't stop the brain from sloshing around inside. Curiously, it was predicted probably a decade ago that the concussion scandal was going to put an end to football (George Will once observed that football is doomed in any society where parents put helmets on toddlers riding tricycles) but it seems that politics and not player health is going to be the real culprit.
      It reminds me of something I once read about early boxing. Apparently, gloves primarily protected the hands from injury. Anyone who has been in a couple of actual fights can tell you how easy it is to break a finger punching a skull[1] As a consequence, after they started wearing gloves, boxers were actually able to inflict more damage with their punches.

1. Likewise "thumb breakers" typically put on a pair of leather gloves before administering a severe beating to those delinquent in their payments to loan sharks.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

of course i do, read them - they are not hard to understand. this really has to do with the fact that you can't rationally defend your positions. like your recent hysterical rant against patriarchy. 'sound and furry signifying nothing.' but like i said you will hand wave and play the coward...
        Yes and I am Marie of Romania!
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

American football is a game of strategy, foremost. As with chess, there are a limited number of openings and some variations on them, the same applies to American football offensive plays. A team chooses its offensive plays to best take advantage of the opponents' defensive weaknesses. If a chess opponent has a difficult time responding to a Ruy Lopez, then that might be a favorite opening (with variation) to use against that person/team.

I suppose it is a weird game for people accustomed to fluid action, like with basketball or hockey. But it is far more action than baseball or cricket.
          I understand it was an English [Victorian] vicar who described cricket as "organised loafing". Baseball is a game I have occasionally watched and enjoyed, after American relatives explained the rules to me.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Yes and I am Marie of Romania!
            No. You're an "historian."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It reminds me of something I once read about early boxing. Apparently, gloves primarily protected the hands from injury. Anyone who has been in a couple of actual fights can tell you how easy it is to break a finger punching a skull[1]
              Did it. Broke my pinky with a really lousy punch that hit the other guy in the cheekbone. I came away far worse than he did.

Comment

It reminds me of something I once read about early boxing. Apparently, gloves primarily protected the hands from injury. Anyone who has been in a couple of actual fights can tell you how easy it is to break a finger punching a skull[1] As a consequence, after they started wearing gloves, boxers were actually able to inflict more damage with their punches.

1. Likewise "thumb breakers" typically put on a pair of leather gloves before administering a severe beating to those delinquent in their payments to loan sharks.
                Yep... padding one's hands allows one to hit harder, and the extra heft of the boxing glove is not insignificant, even if only a couple of pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I understand it was an English [Victorian] vicar who described cricket as "organised loafing". Baseball is a game I have occasionally watched and enjoyed, after American relatives explained the rules to me.
                  "I know that astrology isn't science," said Gail. "Of course it isn't. It's just an arbitrary set of rules like chess or tennis or -- what's that strange thing you British play?"

"Er, cricket? Self-loathing?"

-Mostly Harmless, Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"I know that astrology isn't science," said Gail. "Of course it isn't. It's just an arbitrary set of rules like chess or tennis or -- what's that strange thing you British play?"

"Er, cricket? Self-loathing?"

-Mostly Harmless, Douglas Adams
                    I think Adams was citing an earlier source. However, he makes the point.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Did it. Broke my pinky with a really lousy punch that hit the other guy in the cheekbone. I came away far worse than he did.
                      Given that I literally practiced by punching brick walls (I only have a trace of the calluses that covered my knuckles left), I never did anything worse that bruise my hand.

I've always said that in a real fight, even the victor walks away (metaphorically speaking) limping. You're gonna get hurt[1]. And the good martial art schools understand this and prepare you for it.

1. but don't let on to the ladies

Comment

Given that I literally practiced by punching brick walls (I only have a trace of the calluses that covered my knuckles left), I never did anything worse that bruise my hand.

I've always said that in a real fight, even the victor walks away (metaphorically speaking) limping. You're gonna get hurt[1]. And the good martial art schools understand this and prepare you for it.

1. but don't let on to the ladies
                        I was like 14 or 15 at the time, and did this wild roundhouse punch out of instinct (a guy kicked a chair out from under me). His eyes were spinning and I could tell he wasn't going to continue the bout. Which was great because within 20 or 30 seconds, my hand swelled and I was in agony. I learned how to punch after that.

Comment

I was like 14 or 15 at the time, and did this wild roundhouse punch out of instinct (a guy kicked a chair out from under me). His eyes were spinning and I could tell he wasn't going to continue the bout. Which was great because within 20 or 30 seconds, my hand swelled and I was in agony. I learned how to punch after that.
                          I knew someone who broke their hand and still used it to repeatedly punch the other guy. Adrenaline can make for an incredible (but very short lived) pain blocker.

Comment