Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is there a cure for homophobia? Introducing Lovelace......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I doubt anyone here would call you stupid in the sense of being intellectually impaired. Dedicated chat warriors (which I would include everyone currently active in the responses) are going to have above average intelligence that's inherent in the activity of making arguments et al. I wouldn't be surprised at your 141 on that test. I would have but mine more at 110 at most, but I'd take the 122 it gave me. And we're both "analytical thinkers". Although, I'm not surprised at either my result in that category or yours.
    I think the test gives you a category based on what you are strong in compared to what you are weak in. If so you could be below 100, but still an analytical thinker if you scored higher and lower in the same categories. I took the test again, and went slower this time. Instead of 115 I got 126, but both times I was categorized as "abstract thinker".

Leave a comment:

• Diogenes
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    IQ free test.JPG

I am smart enough to realize that posting this will in no way stop other posters here calling me stupid.
    I doubt anyone here would call you stupid in the sense of being intellectually impaired. Dedicated chat warriors (which I would include everyone currently active in the responses) are going to have above average intelligence that's inherent in the activity of making arguments et al. I wouldn't be surprised at your 141 on that test. I would have but mine more at 110 at most, but I'd take the 122 it gave me. And we're both "analytical thinkers". Although, I'm not surprised at either my result in that category or yours.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    For several reasons they have notorious jamming issues.
    It had that strange cocking/ejecting mechanism.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post

Yes, we had more that a few WW2 Lugers around - they were very well made...
    For several reasons they have notorious jamming issues.

Now that is a real find!
    Not sure how he got it back here, but there was a bit of a fight over who inherited it.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    People took Lugers that their father's brought back from the war as souvenirs[1] to school for show and tell. There was a shooting club in High School with kids carrying rifles on school buses on Fridays.

Funny how nothing ever came of it.
    Yes, we had more that a few WW2 Lugers around - they were very well made...

1. one uncle wasn't satisfied with that and brought home a Schmeisser MP38 (or maybe 40) submachine gun (or "machine pistol") back. According to my grandmother (his mother) the feds came out to their farm in the Dakotas and took the firing pin and put a lead plug in the barrel. My uncle promptly went down to the hardware store and ordered a new firing pin and barrel which he got shortly later. The thing hung on the wall in the den over the sofa -- and was fully operational.

Now that is a real find!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

People who didn't grown up like that can't understand. At 13 I used to ride through town on my stingray bike with my 22 to go hunt rabbits. No one gave me a second look...
    People took Lugers that their father's brought back from the war as souvenirs[1] to school for show and tell. There was a shooting club in High School with kids carrying rifles on school buses on Fridays.

Funny how nothing ever came of it.

1. one uncle wasn't satisfied with that and brought home a Schmeisser MP38 (or maybe 40) submachine gun (or "machine pistol") back. According to my grandmother (his mother) the feds came out to their farm in the Dakotas and took the firing pin and put a lead plug in the barrel. My uncle promptly went down to the hardware store and ordered a new firing pin and barrel which he got shortly later. The thing hung on the wall in the den over the sofa -- and was fully operational.

1111C-MP40-Submachinegun-with-Shoulder-Strap_00.jpg
    Without the shoulder strap.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Then there are incidents like this one.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64301137

A man has been arrested on live TV in the US state of Indiana after his four-year-old son, appearing to wear a nappy, was seen waving a gun.

Shane Osborne, 45, was charged with neglect after neighbours reported a child in a hallway carrying what they believed to be a handgun, police said.

The arrest was filmed on the TV show On Patrol: Live.

The show aired surveillance video allegedly showing the boy playing with a weapon and even pulling the trigger.

Neighbour Nicole Summers told local station WTHR that she called police after the boy came to her door and pointed a pistol at her son.

"My son, he opened the door and then shut it and backed away and he was like, 'Uh...baby with a gun. Get out of here, get out of here!'" said Mrs Summers.

Looking through the door's peephole she confirmed that the gun was not a toy.

"He was just kind of holding it behind his back, and I thought...like that's a real gun. I sell guns for a living, so I know what a gun looks like."

Mr Osborne initially told police there were no weapons in the house, claiming to have been been feeling ill all day and sleeping, Beech Grove Police told the BBC.

"I don't have a gun," he tells police on the show, where Beech Grove officers are followed on shift. "I have never brought a gun into this house, if there is, it's my cousin's."

He added that he did not realise that his son had been outside in the hallway of the apartments.

While the officers were still on the scene, a neighbour came forward to the officers with surveillance video. The video showed the young child in the hallway with what appeared to be a real firearm.

Police then found the firearm in Mr Osborne's apartment and he was arrested. It was later found that there were 15 bullets in the gun's magazine, but luckily, there was no round in the chamber.

The search and arrest aired live on the TV programme On Patrol: Live, which is broadcast on the Reelz channel. Mr Osborne is due to appear in court on Thursday to face child negligence charges.

It comes in the same month that a six-year-old student allegedly shot his teacher with a handgun at a Virginia elementary school, in what police described as an "intentional" shooting.

The article contains a video link to a tragedy that occurred in 1989 "I accidentally shot dead my sister'" and that contains the information that:

Around 4.6 million US children live in homes with unsecured guns. Three in four of those children know where the guns are stored.
    Not good...... not good.
    I talked about guns on websites for nearly 20 years and never yet has anybody in the USA told me that they hold 3rd party all risks insurance coverage on their guns.
    ....ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I grew up with shotguns hanging on walls, in racks in the back of pickups, etc. I went hunting with my dad when I was about 7 and he taught us how to shoot guns and handle them safely when I was about that age. Soon after he got me and my brother a 410 shotgun and we went hunting with him and shot squirrels and rabbits. I had my own BB gun when I was 5 or 6. He even made sure I handled that correctly.

I never once thought of guns as toys or even tried to handle a gun without his permission.
    People who didn't grown up like that can't understand. At 13 I used to ride through town on my stingray bike with my 22 to go hunt rabbits. No one gave me a second look...

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

The purpose of having a gun for self-defence is to be able to use it. If a parent has a gun, it should be out of reach of small children and the children should be taught gun safety at an early age. Also, it should not have a chambered round for just such a situation. If anything, the magazine should not even be in the gun at all.
    I grew up with shotguns hanging on walls, in racks in the back of pickups, etc. I went hunting with my dad when I was about 7 and he taught us how to shoot guns and handle them safely when I was about that age. Soon after he got me and my brother a 410 shotgun and we went hunting with him and shot squirrels and rabbits. I had my own BB gun when I was 5 or 6. He even made sure I handled that correctly.

I never once thought of guns as toys or even tried to handle a gun without his permission.

Leave a comment:

• Diogenes
    replied

Some 4.6 million children living in homes that have unsecured guns?
    The purpose of having a gun for self-defence is to be able to use it. If a parent has a gun, it should be out of reach of small children and the children should be taught gun safety at an early age. Also, it should not have a chambered round for just such a situation. If anything, the magazine should not even be in the gun at all.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

But perhaps the best argument against capital punishment is the psychological effect on the executioner. It is never good or neutral, and often quite devastating.
    Absolutely. That was why, during executions by firing squad, one of the shooter's rifles would be loaded with a blank. So that none of them could be certain that they shot the person.

Someone pulling the switch on an electric chair, gas chamber or even lethal injection, does not have that.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by eider View Post

You can access every mass shooting via IT and see the dreadful incidents of employees, racists and terrorists mass killing.

But I will attend to your point on post 1767.

Please be so kind as to show the last three mass gun-killing incidents by 'gangbangers' and I will learn something.
    Well...?
    Dio beat me to it but just look at any weekend in Chicago, particularly when the weather warms up.

Source: Lone gunmen outliers in nation’s mass shootings

The country’s eyes are trained on high-profile massacres in Texas and Buffalo, but most mass shootings bear little resemblance to those.

Of 267 incidents this year classified as mass shootings by the Gun Violence Archive, nearly all can be tied to gang beefs, neighborhood arguments, robberies or domestic incidents that spiraled out of control.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Dreadful incidents of employees, racists and terrorists mass killing aren't even on the list of top causes. And look at what does lead off the list.

Source: Mass Shootings Facts And Fiction

Mass Shootings (MS) include multiple-victim shooting incidents that occur in connection with some other crime. These may include felony-related shootings where both the victims and offenders may be involved in unlawful activities, such as organized crime, gang activity and drug deals. Domestic disputes are incidents where the majority of victims are members of the offender’s family, not random victims as are associated with mass public shootings. Depending how the MS data is sliced, events associated with domestic violence and criminal activity make up 80 to 88 percent of mass shooting incidents in the U.S. with four or more fatally injured victims (Krouse, William J. and Daniel J. Richardson, Mass Murder with Firearms: Incidents and Victims, 1999–2013, Washington, D.C.: Congressional Research Service, R44126, 2015.).

Source

[* emphasis in original *] Note again what is and what is not listed.

Source: The myths and the realities of mass shootings in the US today

[...]

The problem, he says, is the confusion generated over “mass shootings,” which may not involve fatalities, with “mass killings,” where there are deaths, but not necessarily by guns. In the wake of a deadly shooting with four or more deaths, reporters have sometimes cited statistics on mass shootings, of which there are typically hundreds per year; but only one person dies on average during a mass shooting, and nearly half are family massacres in private homes, Fox says.

“Another significant share are gang-related shootings, drug-related, or armed robberies,” Fox says. “Very few are the random indiscriminate public slaughters that everyone is afraid of.”

For example, there were 610 mass shootings in 2020—and 21 “mass murders”—but only 20 percent occurred in public settings, according to Fox. And as it relates to mass killings, which are tracked by the AP/USATODAY/Northeastern University Mass Killing database, about one-quarter don’t even involve guns, Fox says.

Source

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

The man was dutifully arrested. The bad actions of individuals do not affect the rights of others.

Some 4.6 million children living in homes that have unsecured guns?

Leave a comment:

• Diogenes
    replied

The man was dutifully arrested. The bad actions of individuals do not affect the rights of others.

650 mass-shootings happened all over the USA...... racists, terrorists, angry employees.......... and some gangs fighting each other. Do you think that shooting up folks at their shops or jobs was all 'gangbang'?

That's your list?
    650+ mass murders occurred in 2022!!
    Not even including Chicago. Why are you ignoring the bloodbath in Chicago? Do black lives not matter to you? Why are gang murders excluded from these statistics? Also, given the prevalence of guns, 650 "mass shooting" events is not a lot per gun. I refuse to take anyone serious about gun violence when they dismiss Chicago. Also, most murders on intra-racial. The FBI even stopped tabulating intra-racial crime because the statistics weren't politically useful. Even in the dataset for 2021, black individuals make up half of both offenders and victims regarding homicide despite black alone comprising of 12.4 % and black in combination 14.2% of the US population in 2020. If you want to talk about gun violence, focusing on "mass shootings" misses the vast majority of gun violence, but it's more politically correct. Of course, when the "mass shooter" isn't white, the liberal press deflects as there's nothing to see there. Since you're such an expert on US gun violence, why are black individuals so overrepresented?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

Dreadful! Where was there any risk to the Cop?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64301137

A man has been arrested on live TV in the US state of Indiana after his four-year-old son, appearing to wear a nappy, was seen waving a gun.

Shane Osborne, 45, was charged with neglect after neighbours reported a child in a hallway carrying what they believed to be a handgun, police said.

The arrest was filmed on the TV show On Patrol: Live.

The show aired surveillance video allegedly showing the boy playing with a weapon and even pulling the trigger.

Neighbour Nicole Summers told local station WTHR that she called police after the boy came to her door and pointed a pistol at her son.

"My son, he opened the door and then shut it and backed away and he was like, 'Uh...baby with a gun. Get out of here, get out of here!'" said Mrs Summers.

Looking through the door's peephole she confirmed that the gun was not a toy.

"He was just kind of holding it behind his back, and I thought...like that's a real gun. I sell guns for a living, so I know what a gun looks like."

Mr Osborne initially told police there were no weapons in the house, claiming to have been been feeling ill all day and sleeping, Beech Grove Police told the BBC.

"I don't have a gun," he tells police on the show, where Beech Grove officers are followed on shift. "I have never brought a gun into this house, if there is, it's my cousin's."

He added that he did not realise that his son had been outside in the hallway of the apartments.

While the officers were still on the scene, a neighbour came forward to the officers with surveillance video. The video showed the young child in the hallway with what appeared to be a real firearm.

Police then found the firearm in Mr Osborne's apartment and he was arrested. It was later found that there were 15 bullets in the gun's magazine, but luckily, there was no round in the chamber.

The search and arrest aired live on the TV programme On Patrol: Live, which is broadcast on the Reelz channel. Mr Osborne is due to appear in court on Thursday to face child negligence charges.

It comes in the same month that a six-year-old student allegedly shot his teacher with a handgun at a Virginia elementary school, in what police described as an "intentional" shooting.

The article contains a video link to a tragedy that occurred in 1989 "I accidentally shot dead my sister'" and that contains the information that:

Around 4.6 million US children live in homes with unsecured guns. Three in four of those children know where the guns are stored.

Leave a comment: