Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is there a cure for homophobia? Introducing Lovelace......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Do you think that hatred of LGBT people is civilised?
    Hatred of races?
    Hatred of Gender?
    Hatred of opposing sports teams? !!!

It's time to lift ourselves as far out of bigotry as possible.

Go and look at Lovelace the duck.
    Lovelace lives with 5 other ducks, a Chinese Crested, An Indian Black, a Mandarin pair and a lonely Carolina duck, but none of them hate him.
    Many early tribes accepted LGBT people without trouble.
    Doesn't change the fact that its natural.

Comment

No CD, Pointing out that homosexuality in nature is quite common, and therefore quite natural by definition, is not a fallacy. It's just a fact.
      And human beings are, after all, part of nature. The fact that most of us do not murder, or eat our young doesn't quite cut that fact to pieces.

It's time for LGBT folks to be given full equality, and where I live we have at least attempted to carry this out with legislation. We're doing our best.
      You can't change the fact that murder and cannibalism are just as much a part of nature as homosexuality is. You can find them all across the animal kingdom. That we consider them wrong does not negate this either.

Face it eider, the whole, "it's only natural" rationalization might sound good on the surface, but scratch that surface even just a bit and it is exposed as a complete non-starter. Just because something is supposedly "natural" isn't a very good reason to do something

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oh dear........ this PAF is simply just a definition for 'Incorrect Analogies' but directed at gays.
        The PAF is not an argument, it's a condition!

You yourself are using a bad analogy by trying to equate vehicles with lgbt characteristics.
        It can be proposed that everything humans do is natural.
        Humans are not above nature.
        You are going to get ill....... going to die....... quite natural.

It's simply time to get civilised, imo, time to get rid of some of the bigotry, at least to try.
        Even birds and animals don't hate lgbt characteristics.
        You really don't understand the PAF is, do you? It is not about bad analogies. Its about the complaint about the analogy. The "did you just equate LGBT characteristics and automobiles?" Complaint.

As for automobiles, let me explain. We consider anthills natural. Since, as you put it, humans are not above nature our construction of automobiles would be natural. Since anthill are natural, automobiles are natural.

Comment

Indeed, a strange reversal if that happened.
          Only if you insist on, for some unfathomable reason, that they are the exact same people. IIRC, Tacitus estimate Jerusalem's population at well over half a million and during important festivals the number would swell substantially. But whatever the population, it was anything but some backwater village stuck out in the boondocks.

The point being with numbers like that you can have a crowd of supporters gather to welcome somebody and that night gather an entirely different crowd, one made up of opponents, who will bay for the same person's blood.

Look at it this way... back when Trump was president he had no problem filling an auditorium or even stadium with cheering well-wishers and supporters. Now, do you think that there weren't a whole lot of people in these same areas that would love to see Trump swinging at the end of a rope?

Given that, why is this "a strange reversal"?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You really don't understand the PAF is, do you? It is not about bad analogies. Its about the complaint about the analogy. The "did you just equate LGBT characteristics and automobiles?" Complaint.

As for automobiles, let me explain. We consider anthills natural. Since, as you put it, humans are not above nature our construction of automobiles would be natural. Since anthill are natural, automobiles are natural.
            At some point one must conclude that he is grimly determined not to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              At some point one must conclude that he is grimly determined not to understand.
              Yeah. I find it funny that his response was that I had posted a self-own so bad I put a "Laugh at me" sign on. Then he comes out and demonstrates he doesn't even understand the article that was posted, and utterly missed
              Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 07-11-2021, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Plotting and scheming among the various Herodian family members was the order of the day!
                And hardly a feature unique to them. History is full of similar royal or imperial families.

Comment

Well you have to keep the audience riveted!
                  Don't sell yourself short. Your contributions both here and in the "go, sell all that you have and give to the poor..." thread have been at times highly entertaining.

Comment

Typical nonanswer and an indication you didn't.

Par for the course.
                    If you are referring to the text I mentioned you commented upon it. If you cannot remember your own remarks I really cannot help you. Short term memory problems perhaps?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Don't sell yourself short. Your contributions both here and in the "go, sell all that you have and give to the poor..." thread have been at times highly entertaining.
                      Oh I was referencing the gospel writers. Lots of excitement to keep the audience's attention.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

*SIGH*

Meanwhile, back in reality, we actually do have a full account of what took place without having to resort to an overactive imagination concocting and promoting an outlier hypothesis.
                        You do not have "a full account of what took place" of this event. You have later Christian apologetic.

We have no idea if the incident at the Temple has any historical veracity. In other words, did this event ever really happen, or is it merely a strand of narrative fiction employed by the authors of those gospel texts?

However, if it did happen we have know idea as to how serious it was nor its later implications.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And hardly a feature unique to them. History is full of similar royal or imperial families.
                          I was referring to this particular historical period in its context.

However, as we all know the history this region from the mid first century BCE up to the end of the first century CE is apparently a closed book to you,.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You do not have "a full account of what took place" of this event. You have later Christian apologetic.

We have no idea if the incident at the Temple has any historical veracity. In other words, did this event ever really happen, or is it merely a strand of narrative fiction employed by the authors of those gospel texts?

However, if it did happen we have know idea as to how serious it was nor its later implications.
                            I have to applaud you for how often you can turn almost any thread into another version of "bible trivia game".

Comment

I was referring to this particular historical period in its context.

However, as we all know the history this region from the mid first century BCE up to the end of the first century CE is apparently a closed book to you,.
                              Says the faux historian who habitually keeps making the sort of mistakes that a first quarter freshman quickly learns to avoid.

Comment

What we have is lightyears more than something that is purely speculative and sounds like the result of a really stoned version of "what if" where people come up with increasingly ridiculous suppositions.

Comment