Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You go Supreme Court!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You go Supreme Court!

This is a big deal and will effect many agencies like Catholic Family Services...

Supreme Court sides with Catholic foster agency that excludes same-sex couples in 9-0 ruling

The Supreme Court sided unanimously with a Catholic foster agency in a dispute against the city of Philadelphia over whether it should be banned from participating in the city's foster program because it excludes same-sex couples.

The group, Catholic Social Services (CSS), claimed that "Philadelphia’s attempts to exclude the Catholic Church from foster care" violated the First Amendment. Lawyers for the city, meanwhile, said that CSS "lacks a constitutional right to demand that DHS offer it a contract that omits the same nondiscrimination requirement every other FFCA must follow when performing services for the City."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sup...igious-liberty
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Another 9-0 ruling too.

That's gonna need an awful lot of court packing to overturn

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Another 9-0 ruling too.

It is an important win!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Another 9-0 ruling too.

It's almost as if they're sending the Dems a message.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          This is a big deal and will effect many agencies like Catholic Family Services...
          At the end of the day it seems pretty simple.

The program already had a discrimination exemption clause. So, it wasn't "universal". This meant that the city had to work harder why this exemption wasn't reasonable if they would offer it to others.

Comment

Another 9-0 ruling too.

Don't think for a moment that the Democrats wouldn't be willing to try it.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

They also voted 7-2 to keep Obamacare. I'd been surprised if it had gone the other way given that Roberts has shown a previous willingness to redefine it in order to make it legal.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They also voted 7-2 to keep Obamacare. I'd been surprised if it had gone the other way given that Roberts has shown a previous willingness to redefine it in order to make it legal.
                Which is a major win for anyone that got layed off in 2020 with a pre-existing medical condition. If there is nothing else good about Obamacare, it is that is forces the medical insurance industry to insure people with ongoing medical conditions when they have to transition from one insurance company to another due to a job change or layoff.

And second to it is the age 26 provision for children. It often takes a little while for the kids to get jobs that have decent insurance.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment