Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Delta Variant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

We are dealing with vaccine supply issues all the time. There are a lot of people getting vaccinated when the supply is available. My province. as of either yesterday or Tuesday, is about 45,000 people short of the 75% of the population they want vaccinated with at least one dose.

And now they have lotteries to get people to be vaccinated, which I think is ridiculous. Because so much money has already been thrown at covid, and this will come right out of the taxpayers pockets like all of it will, and just put us all further in debt.
    A small error here on my part. The province wants 70% vaccinated with one dose, not 75.

As of this morning we are 6000 doses short of that, and those should be completed, and more, by the end of today. Then after a 2 week waiting period, the province will enter stage 3 of reopening.

I guess we received a million doses of Moderna yesterday........to be shared by the whole country, so don't know how far they will stretch. There may be more of the Pfizer kicking around,, but I'm not sure.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I would consider that a good argument against vaccination, if they don't suffer much from it. Like being vaccinated against the common cold.
      So now you know why we vaccinated the very old, weak and infirm first.
      Now every body over 40 yrs and willing is getting it.

What is the government debating about? Forcing the issue?
      No.
      Before folks as young as teens are offered it as standard, there needs to be a debate about natural resistance in youth, any increased risks for youth, etc.
      That's what our Parliament is for..... Debating and voting.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post
        So now you know why we vaccinated the very old, weak and infirm first.
        Now every body over 40 yrs and willing is getting it.

No.
        Before folks as young as teens are offered it as standard, there needs to be a debate about natural resistance in youth, any increased risks for youth, etc.
        That's what our Parliament is for..... Debating and voting.
        I see. Thanks

Comment

I would consider that a good argument against vaccination, if they don't suffer much from it. Like being vaccinated against the common cold.

What is the government debating about? Forcing the issue?
          One reason for everyone/many as possible to get the vaccine is to limit the variants of the vaccine from developing.

Let's say all the at-risk people get the vaccine, and all the low-risk people skip it.

The disease runs rampant in the low-risk group, but it's not that dangerous to them. But as it's running, and replicating, and mutating, it changes. These low-risk people still hang around the high-risk vaccinated people. At some point, one of those mutating variants has mutated enough to successfully bypass the vaccine, and the spreads like wildfire, rendering the vaccine useless.

The reason "the common cold" isn't vaccinated against, is because there isn't a single "common cold" there's more than 200 viruses that cause symptoms that get written off as "the common cold". The flu, by the same token, has lots of variants and constantly changes, which is why a flu vaccine generally lasts a season.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

One reason for everyone/many as possible to get the vaccine is to limit the variants of the vaccine from developing.

Let's say all the at-risk people get the vaccine, and all the low-risk people skip it.

The disease runs rampant in the low-risk group, but it's not that dangerous to them. But as it's running, and replicating, and mutating, it changes. These low-risk people still hang around the high-risk vaccinated people. At some point, one of those mutating variants has mutated enough to successfully bypass the vaccine, and the spreads like wildfire, rendering the vaccine useless.
            This argument doesn't make sense to me.

Group A has been vaccinated against COVID1, and Group B has not. That means Group A cannot become sick from COVID1 infection but Group B can. So COVID1 is circulating around in both populations but only one can become sick. So either group can be a potential reservoir for variants and mutations. What you are saying is that mutations only occur in Group B, but I've read no claims of that.

The reason "the common cold" isn't vaccinated against, is because there isn't a single "common cold" there's more than 200 viruses that cause symptoms that get written off as "the common cold". The flu, by the same token, has lots of variants and constantly changes, which is why a flu vaccine generally lasts a season.
            Actually, I think the common cold mutates too. I've probably had more than 200 colds in my lifetime.

Comment

This argument doesn't make sense to me.

Group A has been vaccinated against COVID1, and Group B has not. That means Group A cannot become sick from COVID1 infection but Group B can. So COVID1 is circulating around in both populations but only one can become sick. So either group can be a potential reservoir for variants and mutations. What you are saying is that mutations only occur in Group B, but I've read no claims of that.
              It's not that mutations can only occur in Group B. It's that Mutations happen during replication. The more replications, the more chances for mutations. So, an unvaccinated group provides a breeding ground for lots of replication, and therefore more mutations.

Comment

It's not that mutations can only occur in Group B. It's that Mutations happen during replication. The more replications, the more chances for mutations. So, an unvaccinated group provides a breeding ground for lots of replication, and therefore more mutations.
                Problem with that explanation is it doesn't seem explain why variants are rising and spreading in \countries that have some of the largest vaccination rates.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Twice as infectious as the typical covid-19, produces more serious symptoms, and is now 10% of the covid-19 still spreading in the US.

Vaccines are effective against it.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...u-need-to-know

If you have not been vaccinated - and especially if you live in an area or with people with extreme vaccine hesitancy or skepticism - GET VACCINATED!
                  I will have to agree. I am glad I am vaccinated.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Problem with that explanation is it doesn't seem explain why variants are rising and spreading in \countries that have some of the largest vaccination rates.
                    It has been suggested that the vaccines themselves are causing the mutations.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There is a problem for our 'group B'!
                      Our group B is infants, juniors, minors and teens. You are probably right about Covid being able to travel through these groups, and mutate, and get nastier, but we don't know if these groups are at greater risk from vaccinations. So we are holding back on vaccinating infants, juniors and minors. Teens may be able to receive the jab, but that was being reviewed last week and I don't know about any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It has been suggested that the vaccines themselves are causing the mutations.
                        It's called natural selection. The virus mutates. Mutations that enhance its survival will tend to be the ones that grow and propagate. Any factor that limits spread will cause mutations that enhance its capability to spread to dominate - if you give it the time it needs to do that. Natural immunity will do the exact same thing as vaccine acquired immunity. So what we want is enough immune people the virus can't spread at all so it fades away before it can do an end run around the various kinds of acquired immunity.

The more unvacinnated people there are, the more opportunities for it to spread and mutate, the less time between variants and the more likely a mutation occurs that can infect people through the natural or vaccine acquired immunity.

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-19-2021, 08:37 AM.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

It's still random. If you put enough ammunition down range, you are bound to hit something. But, you could get lucky and hit something with the 5th bullet instead of the 100th.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Natural immunity will do the exact same thing as vaccine acquired immunity.
                            Will it? Based on what I've read, the vaccine might actually be forcing unusual mutations of the China flu that are different from natural mutations. Remember, we are talking about experimental medications employing relatively new mRNA technology which has never been used in human vaccines before, so who knows what effects it's going to have.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

They are still contagious. they can spread the virus and kill people.
                              Last edited by Backup; 06-19-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Will it? Based on what I've read, the vaccine might actually be forcing unusual mutations of the China flu that are different from natural mutations. Remember, we are talking about experimental medications employing relatively new mRNA technology which has never been used in human vaccines before, so who knows what effects it's going to have.
                                I'm sure you read that somewhere given the sources you use.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment