Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Delta Variant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

My husband and I have had both Moderna shots. Our son has had one, and is waiting for the second until this latest supply issue is remediated.

What we have NOT been afraid of for the past year is covid.
    Ah -- I got the impression you had not yet had a vaccine from your post. Good then - you can ignore my last post then

As for not being afraid of covid, if you acted responsibly then a lack of fear has had no negative effect. The people I know experiencing the most actual fear of covid are those working in the hospitals and seeing what kind of death those that have a severe reaction suffer from it. But at 2% most of us are not looking at losing a large number of family members or friends. And so for most of us, the threat is one we assess mentally, not viscerally.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Ah -- I got the impression you had not yet had a vaccine from your post. Good then - you can ignore my last post then

As for not being afraid of covid, if you acted responsibly then a lack of fear has had no negative effect. The people I know experiencing the most actual fear of covid are those working in the hospitals and seeing what kind of death those that have a severe reaction suffer from it. But at 2% most of us are not looking at losing a large number of family members or friends. And so for most of us, the threat is one we assess mentally, not viscerally.
      We acted responsibly as we have been required to do. That doesn't negate our senses that there has been a great deal of overreaction to the whole last year, and I trust that you will allow me my opinion on that matter.

We also have been VERY aware that our God is Sovereign over us and over all that goes on in this world, and that as Psalm 139:16 tells us

Your eyes have seen my formless substance;
      And in Your book were written
      All the days that were ordained for me,
      When as yet there was not one of them.

So if God means to take me home by way of covid, then that is what will happen, no matter what I do. Hence, our lack of fear of covid.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Twice as infectious as the typical covid-19, produces more serious symptoms, and is now 10% of the covid-19 still spreading in the US.

Vaccines are effective against it.

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...u-need-to-know

If you have not been vaccinated - and especially if you live in an area or with people with extreme vaccine hesitancy or skepticism - GET VACCINATED!
        I already had covid. No plans or need to get a vaccine.

Comment

Others have tried to reason with you on this, so I'll be brief. The mRNA vaccines are not a new technology(it has been around a while now), but this is a new application for them. And yes, there are side effects - as there are with all vaccines and medications - but so far most of them have been fairly easy to treat, the more serious ones are rare, and they are not long lasting, which is the case for the one you link to above.

Each year we get a flu vaccine. And some people react poorly to them. This is a far deadlier virus, it spreads more easily, it is a pandemic and has killed 20x the number of people in the US march to march than the flu typically does over a year - and that is WITH masking, and lockdowns, and vaccines. The thing to fear is covid, not it's vaccine.
          mRNA vaccines are indeed a new technology. They have not been used in such a manner in humans before now. That the technology has been developing for a number of years does not make them not new or not experimental, with little idea of what they will do in the long term to the person (or heck, whether or not it might have longer term DNA effects, given there is much we do not know in that sphere of science).

Comment

We acted responsibly as we have been required to do. That doesn't negate our senses that there has been a great deal of overreaction to the whole last year, and I trust that you will allow me my opinion on that matter.
            To the extent is doesn't harm others, of course.

We also have been VERY aware that our God is Sovereign over us and over all that goes on in this world, and that as Psalm 139:16 tells us

Your eyes have seen my formless substance;
            And in Your book were written
            All the days that were ordained for me,
            When as yet there was not one of them.

So if God means to take me home by way of covid, then that is what will happen, no matter what I do. Hence, our lack of fear of covid.
            I commend your willingness to trust God in this time, but I'm not a Christian fatalist wrt things like this. Trusting God, to me, does not mean I am not required by Him to do those things that are best or wise. So I can't amen your post in its entirety.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Others have tried to reason with you on this...
              "Others have tried to hand wave away inconvenient facts" is what you mean. The problem with the China flu vaccines is not that there is a negligible risk as with all medications but that the risk is disproportionately high, far higher than we've seen for any other recent medication, and those are only the side effects we know about. Who knows what nasty discoveries await us in the future. We can only hope they are less severe.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

To the extent is doesn't harm others, of course.

I commend your willingness to trust God in this time, but I'm not a Christian fatalist wrt things like this. Trusting God, to me, does not mean I am not required by Him to do those things that are best or wise. So I can't amen your post in its entirety.
                I don't think that being allowed to state my opinion on something is in any way a danger to anybody, except those who disagree with me and feel offended in some way. And that is on them. I don't harangue people who have had vaccines, and I don't harangue people who haven't. The choice, at this moment in time, is theirs.

I am not a Christian fatalist either. I trust my God to deal with me as He will, however that will end for me. The worst thing that can occur in my life is that I end up in His presence, and I can only consider that to be the best thing that can happen to me.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My husband and I have had both Moderna shots. Our son has had one, and is waiting for the second until this latest supply issue is remediated.
                  I worry about all of my "older" TWeb friends and their families, not least because of my own recent scare, but I am especially happy and relieved to hear you've been vaccinated, oh Ancient of Afternoons!

It's a weight off my heart to hear you're protected, P.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I worry about all of my "older" TWeb friends and their families, not least because of my own recent scare, but I am especially happy and relieved to hear you've been vaccinated, oh Ancient of Afternoons!

It's a weight off my heart to hear you're protected, P.
                    Thanks, Jesse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

To be fair, nobody outside of the at-risk population should even think about receiving an experimental vaccine that was approved for emergency use only and which has a disproportionately high probability of causing a negative outcome.
                      I did a bit of checking, and it appears that around here, about 52% have not been vaxxed at all.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Yes! Absolutely!
                        in the UK the Delta variant is spreading very quickly. We are red listed by most countries.
                        But the fact that most of our adult population has received the vaccinations is keeping the death count below single figures per day and our hospital admissions are low.
                        The majority of Covid deaths and hospital admissions are now unvaccinated folks.
                        I don't understand. Most of the adult population has been vaccinated but the Delta variant is spreading quickly? Wouldn't that indicate the vaccine is ineffective against it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

I don't doubt that COVID is nasty... I know a few people IRL who got it and they said it hit them like a truck. Heck, given that I've been working throughout this in a retail environment, I'm actually surprised I haven't been exposed to it yet.
                          Are you certain you haven't? The last I heard, approximately 50% of infections are asymptomatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I don't understand. Most of the adult population has been vaccinated but the Delta variant is spreading quickly? Wouldn't that indicate the vaccine is ineffective against it?
                            Depends. Vaccinations in the states are not uniform. You have some states where 50+% are vaccinated, you have others where <50% are. So, in a low vaccination area, the virus has more potential hosts and can spread very quickly, while high vaccinated areas it might have a hard time penetrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

No.
                              It is racing through the younger folks and the unvaccinated.
                              But the younger folks don't get so sick, mostly.

The gov is debating about vaccinating younger folks
                              OK?

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

No.
                                It is racing through the younger folks and the unvaccinated.
                                But the younger folks don't get so sick, mostly.
                                I would consider that a good argument against vaccination, if they don't suffer much from it. Like being vaccinated against the common cold.

The gov is debating about vaccinating younger folks
                                OK?
                                What is the government debating about? Forcing the issue?

Comment