Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Now its the New York Times that doesn't understand that the Babylon Bee is SATIRE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I used to start with Yahoo! because my oldest email is there, so I would see their aggregate first before checking my mail. But after they cancelled their comments on articles (which were more insightful than the articles) I just bookmarked my email without ever visiting their propaganda page. I used to see more huffpost than anything else on there.
    They've just recently added in a set of categories buttons (sports/politics/technology....) that you can check on/off to somewhat curate the topics they show. It's by broad category, so sports, not football/baseball/hockey

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Ok - my working definition for misinformation does not include clauses oriented around accommodating what is believed to be true. Misinformation is information that is counter factual, which then is defined by what can be known based on current knowledge and an accurate survey of the current data. You are drifting toward how does one know something is misinformation, and to that end I would note Galileo had presented his telescopic observations, mathematics and conclusions, and Copernicus had also previously published a work that concluded heliocentrism was likely a better explanation for the motions of the heavenly bodies.

But of course, my comment concerns how Satire can also feed into or be misinformation. So "Satire' of the sort I suggested would exist in support of the misinformation that the Earth was at the center of the solar system - so it too becomes part of the misinformation campaign wrt Galileo's discoveries. But that satire/misinformation would also be generally well received, believed, and viewed as quite comical by most people still locked into the mistaken notion of geocentrism.

My choice of that example was to keep the comment away from rabbit trails about what might be true or false today - hopefully we can all agree the Earth orbits the sun - and just explore how Satire can also be misinformation.
      My point, which I hoped I had made clear with the inclusion of "back then," is that there was no known way to verify that Galileo was correct, so it would have been impossible, back then, at that time, to consider it accurate or inaccurate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I used to start with Yahoo! because my oldest email is there, so I would see their aggregate first before checking my mail. But after they cancelled their comments on articles (which were more insightful than the articles) I just bookmarked my email without ever visiting their propaganda page. I used to see more huffpost than anything else on there.
        With Chrome you can select from a large assortment of news sites to show what sort of news interests you. This allowed me to minimize stuff from sources like People and Us, as well as sports, and get more "hard news" in the Google news. By far most stories come from the liberal MSM but personalizing the settings also helps to keep stuff from Mother Jones and the like down as well

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          With Chrome you can select from a large assortment of news sites to show what sort of news interests you. This allowed me to minimize stuff from sources like People and Us, as well as sports, and get more "hard news" in the Google news. By far most stories come from the liberal MSM but personalizing the settings also helps to keep stuff from Mother Jones and the like down as well
          Mother Jones!

Comment

Mother Jones!
            I used to use Drudge to check out the Daily Kos but they started getting so far out there and more and more like Antifa/BLM Central that I quit (Drudge dropped them not long after), although I've heard that they've reined in the real whack-jobs at least a little.

Comment

My point, which I hoped I had made clear with the inclusion of "back then," is that there was no known way to verify that Galileo was correct, so it would have been impossible, back then, at that time, to consider it accurate or inaccurate.
              There was to reasonable certainty.

You take a telescope (or build one) and look up and see if what he saw is what is actually there. The implications of the moonlike phases of venus and mercury and the lack of phase <50% in mars, jupiter, or saturn is sufficient to show that the Earth orbits the sun between their orbits.

But lets stop here. The point is that satire can be part of a misinformation campaign. Do you have even one logical counter to that point? And we don't have to postulate hypothetical satire aimed at Galileo. I did that just to avoid rabbit trails about what of today's misinformation IS misinformation. Seems that you will argue that point regardless of the subject.

But we need look no further than the misinformation campaigns targeting Jews leading up to Hitler's final solution. Satire was an integral part of that misinformation campaign.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-17-2021, 03:45 PM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

There was to reasonable certainty.

You take a telescope (or build one) and look up and see if what he saw is what is actually there. The implications of the moonlike phases of venus and mercury and the lack of phase <50% in mars, jupiter, or saturn is sufficient to show that the Earth orbits the sun between their orbits.

But lets stop here. The point is that satire can be part of a misinformation campaign. Do you have even one logical counter to that point? And we don't have to postulate hypothetical satire aimed at Galileo. I did that just to avoid rabbit trails about what of today's misinformation IS misinformation. Seems that you will argue that point regardless of the subject.

But we need look no further than the misinformation campaigns targeting Jews leading up to Hitler's final solution. Satire was an integral part of that misinformation campaign.
                IIRC, Galileo's "proof" revolved (pun intended) around the phases of Venus and have been regarded as evidence but not a smoking gun. It wasn't until Kepler, using Brahe's observations, calculated orbits that heliocentrism was regarded as demonstrated (although opposition would still persist for some time).

I guess my point is that if you wish to use an example to clarify a position, be sure it is a valid one.

Comment

IIRC, Galileo's "proof" revolved (pun intended) around the phases of Venus and have been regarded as evidence but not a smoking gun. It wasn't until Kepler, using Brahe's observations, calculated orbits that heliocentrism was regarded as demonstrated (although opposition would still persist for some time).

I guess my point is that if you wish to use an example to clarify a position, be sure it is a valid one.
                  So you are just going to continue to play games arguing about the example given and ignore the point? Iim thinking now of all the times you've accused others of avoiding your own points by similar means.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Comment

The new angle is that Facebook is going to use its prohibition against "punching down" against the Bee.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        The new angle is that Facebook is going to use its prohibition against "punching down" against the Bee.
                        Yup. Slate is all but demanding that Facebook go after the Bee because of their frequent lampooning of absurd gender politics, calling it "frequently antagonistic toward the LGBTQIA+ community." Of course these days it seems that anything short of literal kowtowing and putting one of your children through gender reassignment if none come out as gay, is now considered as "antagonistic toward the LGBTQIA+ community."

Comment