Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Now its the New York Times that doesn't understand that the Babylon Bee is SATIRE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

My biggest complaint is that they tend to go to the well a bit too often. Whenever the news is slow they pull out their old reliables (often a story involving Chick-fil-A), which gets old. But then again, it's the same thing that afflicts late night shows. When you have to produce every day of the week (or even five days/week) material can get thin occasionally.

This articulates it pretty well. I like Chick Fil A (since I developed celiac, I've gone there significantly less though), but it's not *that* great that I need to read weekly articles praising its name. I haven't followed it in awhile but I remember they also kept running gags about youth leaders trying to be hip, and worship band bassists being fungible. Admittedly, as an adult who prefers organ music in churches, I'm outside the target audience of both those jokes, but they were just incessant. Quality, not quantity.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Backup View Post

Those are delivery systems.
      "Various sources" isn't a delivery system.

What news sources do you go to that lead you the conclusion that the mainstream media is “off-the-wall false”?
      He said "various sources." Which usually means a little bit from everywhere.

From my experience, sources that rag on the mainstream media are usually crazy, right-wing propaganda outlets that are not nearly as credible as the mainstream media.
      It is through summation that the MSM is often conniving, always biased, offers opinion as news, and can report falsehoods in its feverish scramble to forward its agenda.

Comment

What news sources do you go to that lead you the conclusion that the mainstream media is “off-the-wall false”? From my experience, sources that rag on the mainstream media are usually crazy, right-wing propaganda outlets that are not nearly as credible as the mainstream media.
        Yes, you dearly love to use your biased MediaBiasFactCheck site to well poison. But interestingly you got caught elsewhere, willingly using sources that your own biased MediaBiasFactCheck says are similarly biased toward the left (aka 'crazy, left-wing propaganda outlets'), and run away when that is pointed out.

Comment

What news sources do you go to that lead you the conclusion that the mainstream media is “off-the-wall false”? From my experience, sources that rag on the mainstream media are usually crazy, right-wing propaganda outlets that are not nearly as credible as the mainstream media.
          When I find a story I am interested in, I usually investigate it from various angles and sources to get to the truth as best I can. Especially in this day and age when "journalists" are nothing more than plagiarists who merely copy stories from each other and add their own spin on it. Both sides do that. Journalists are lazy today. I try to avoid the blog and popup "news" sites that are obvious shills for either the left or the right. Or at least take what they say with a grain of salt and as I said, investigate further.

But I have seen some of the worst cases of bad reporting and outright lies coming from sources such as the New York Times and CNN. There are several threads on this site pointing out examples of such.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

When I find a story I am interested in, I usually investigate it from various angles and sources to get to the truth as best I can. Especially in this day and age when "journalists" are nothing more than plagiarists who merely copy stories from each other and add their own spin on it. Both sides do that. Journalists are lazy today. I try to avoid the blog and popup "news" sites that are obvious shills for either the left or the right. Or at least take what they say with a grain of salt and as I said, investigate further.

But I have seen some of the worst cases of bad reporting and outright lies coming from sources such as the New York Times and CNN. There are several threads on this site pointing out examples of such.
            Ironically, my general starting news page tends to be Yahoo home page. (I know, yahoo).

But, they have a slew of news stories that get consolidated from fox, huffpost, salon, cnn, etc. Meaning, I can see a ton of different stories that come from different stories, and if one interests me, I can explore it deeper.

(Though, this has bitten me once or twice as I'll grab a story from the page, only to find out later it came from a source I wouldn't trust normally).

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yes, you dearly love to use your biased MediaBiasFactCheck site to well poison. But interestingly you got caught elsewhere, willingly using sources that your own biased MediaBiasFactCheck says are similarly biased toward the left (aka 'crazy, left-wing propaganda outlets'), and run away when that is pointed out.
              Ah so that is why he seems to want me to name names. carpedm9587 used to drag out MBFC all the time too.

I don't have any "goto" news sources. I generally just hear about something on TV (mostly local news) or social media, then go looking for more information and read all angles I can if I am interested in it. But I am a skeptical person and never take anything at face value so even if the source is a conservative site I will still check to see if what it is reporting is valid or not.

Comment

Various sources. Internet, TV, occasional actual newspaper.
                Same here. I make a point of reading/listening to news from all across the spectrum. I don't want someone telling me this is what "A" thinks. I want to hear it from "A" what they think. Hence I often skim through news aggregation websites like Google News, Yahoo News and the Drudge Report which allows me to scan through a wide variety of sources.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

"Various sources" isn't a delivery system.

He said "various sources." Which usually means a little bit from everywhere.

It is through summation that the MSM is often conniving, always biased, offers opinion as news, and can report falsehoods in its feverish scramble to forward its agenda.
                  It isn't just how a story is covered, but what stories are covered and which get spiked.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

There is nothing that keeps satire from being itself biased, or from propping up or encouraging belief in misinformation. When it does so, it becomes not merely satire but also misinformation.

E.g. an article mocking the idea the Earth goes around the sun in Galileo's time.
                    Would that be misinformation back then? Nobody knew for sure. Galileo failed in his attempt at offering "proof." That would fall to others.

Comment

Ah so that is why he seems to want me to name names. carpedm9587 used to drag out MBFC all the time too.

I don't have any "goto" news sources. I generally just hear about something on TV (mostly local news) or social media, then go looking for more information and read all angles I can if I am interested in it. But I am a skeptical person and never take anything at face value so even if the source is a conservative site I will still check to see if what it is reporting is valid or not.
                      Yeah, I'll hear about something and will automatically want to see how "the other side" is reporting it. Often, I discover that it is essentially a nothing burger being blown all out of proportion -- and that goes for "bombshells" from both the left and right.

But it is just this sort of desire to get the other sides P.O.V. that led me to realize just how often the MSM closes ranks and refuses to cover a big story. Often the excuse that the conservative media is talking about it is even given as the justification for them to ignore it. Then, if the story continues to grow they are forced to play catch up informing their viewers/readers of what is going on before they can explain the latest development.

An example of this was how the NYT stubbornly refused to cover any of the controversies swirling around Obama's recently appointed "Green Czar," Van Jones. They refused to cover it right up until Van Jones was forced to resign, and then they had to spend a whole lot of time explaining why he resigned -- something that virtually everyone who didn't rely on the Times for their news, already knew.

Comment

Yuuuuup he's notorious for it on the forum I know him from.

Well said.

Comment

And let's not forget that for many of these "fact checkers" merely saying you didn't believe that Trump colluded with Putin and the Russians was more than sufficient to get you labeled as a unreliable far right wing source. More recently we saw the same thing wrt questioning whether or not the Chicom coronavirus came from eating bats.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Would that be misinformation back then? Nobody knew for sure. Galileo failed in his attempt at offering "proof." That would fall to others.
                            Ok - my working definition for misinformation does not include clauses oriented around accommodating what is believed to be true. Misinformation is information that is counter factual, which then is defined by what can be known based on current knowledge and an accurate survey of the current data. You are drifting toward how does one know something is misinformation, and to that end I would note Galileo had presented his telescopic observations, mathematics and conclusions, and Copernicus had also previously published a work that concluded heliocentrism was likely a better explanation for the motions of the heavenly bodies.

But of course, my comment concerns how Satire can also feed into or be misinformation. So "Satire' of the sort I suggested would exist in support of the misinformation that the Earth was at the center of the solar system - so it too becomes part of the misinformation campaign wrt Galileo's discoveries. But that satire/misinformation would also be generally well received, believed, and viewed as quite comical by most people still locked into the mistaken notion of geocentrism.

My choice of that example was to keep the comment away from rabbit trails about what might be true or false today - hopefully we can all agree the Earth orbits the sun - and just explore how Satire can also be misinformation.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Ironically, my general starting news page tends to be Yahoo home page. (I know, yahoo).

But, they have a slew of news stories that get consolidated from fox, huffpost, salon, cnn, etc. Meaning, I can see a ton of different stories that come from different stories, and if one interests me, I can explore it deeper.

(Though, this has bitten me once or twice as I'll grab a story from the page, only to find out later it came from a source I wouldn't trust normally).
                              I used to start with Yahoo! because my oldest email is there, so I would see their aggregate first before checking my mail. But after they cancelled their comments on articles (which were more insightful than the articles) I just bookmarked my email without ever visiting their propaganda page. I used to see more huffpost than anything else on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I used to start with Yahoo! because my oldest email is there, so I would see their aggregate first before checking my mail. But after they cancelled their comments on articles (which were more insightful than the articles) I just bookmarked my email without ever visiting their propaganda page. I used to see more huffpost than anything else on there.
                                I forgot to mention I do have Engadget bookmarked on my start page as a source of Tech News. There I named a source for Backup to check.

Carry on.

Comment