Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Now its the New York Times that doesn't understand that the Babylon Bee is SATIRE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Now its the New York Times that doesn't understand that the Babylon Bee is SATIRE


    The "fact-checkers" at Snopes have rightly taken a lot of ridicule for their repeated insistence on "fact-checking" the satirical news site The Babylon Bee, including once rating a 2018 story "false" about how CNN was using an industrial-sized washing machine to "spin" the news. This actually resulted in Facebook citing this fact-check in a warning message to the Babylon Bee, where they threatened to limit their content distribution and monetization. A humiliated Facebook quickly apologized after learning that Snopes was fact checking satire.

    But it hasn't been just Snopes who are upset with the Babylon Bee. Other, once supposedly credible news outlets appear to have a problem with their satire (a strong indication that it is hitting its mark).

    A couple of days ago the New York Times was forced to issue a retraction after declaring in March that the satirical website was a "far-right misinformation site" that "trafficked in misinformation." The retraction was the typical mealy-mouthed one we've come to expect

    “An earlier version of this article referred imprecisely to the Babylon Bee, a right-leaning satirical website, and a controversy regarding the handling of its content by Facebook and the fact-checking site Snopes. While both Facebook and Snopes previously have classified some Babylon Bee articles as misinformation, rather than satire, they have dropped those claims, and the Babylon Bee denies that it has trafficked in misinformation.”


    Of course they leave out the shamefaced apology Facebook made after discovering that the folks at Snopes were humorous morons who never heard of satire before, had led them astray. Apologies are more than just dropping the claims.

    For it's part The Babylon Bee goes well out of its way to be clear they are a satirical site repeatedly describing itself as "your trusted source for Christian news satire" and "the world’s best satire site." And yet leftwing gloomy goobers can still manage to take a joke about CNN using a washing machine to "spin" the news seriously.

    Perhaps it is because they themselves have published so many spectacularly ridiculous claims as fact over the past four to five years that they assume that is what the Bee must be doing.

    In any case, as the CEO of the Bee, Seth Dillon, pointed out "The NY Times was using misinformation to smear us as being a source of it. That’s not merely ironic; it’s malicious. We pushed back hard and won."

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  • #2
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The "fact-checkers" at Snopes have rightly taken a lot of ridicule for their repeated insistence on "fact-checking" the satirical news site The Babylon Bee, including once rating a 2018 story "false" about how CNN was using an industrial-sized washing machine to "spin" the news. This actually resulted in Facebook citing this fact-check in a warning message to the Babylon Bee, where they threatened to limit their content distribution and monetization. A humiliated Facebook quickly apologized after learning that Snopes was fact checking satire.

    But it hasn't been just Snopes who are upset with the Babylon Bee. Other, once supposedly credible news outlets appear to have a problem with their satire (a strong indication that it is hitting its mark).

    A couple of days ago the New York Times was forced to issue a retraction after declaring in March that the satirical website was a "far-right misinformation site" that "trafficked in misinformation." The retraction was the typical mealy-mouthed one we've come to expect

    “An earlier version of this article referred imprecisely to the Babylon Bee, a right-leaning satirical website, and a controversy regarding the handling of its content by Facebook and the fact-checking site Snopes. While both Facebook and Snopes previously have classified some Babylon Bee articles as misinformation, rather than satire, they have dropped those claims, and the Babylon Bee denies that it has trafficked in misinformation.”


    Of course they leave out the shamefaced apology Facebook made after discovering that the folks at Snopes were humorous morons who never heard of satire before, had led them astray. Apologies are more than just dropping the claims.

    For it's part The Babylon Bee goes well out of its way to be clear they are a satirical site repeatedly describing itself as "your trusted source for Christian news satire" and "the world’s best satire site." And yet leftwing gloomy goobers can still manage to take a joke about CNN using a washing machine to "spin" the news seriously.

    Perhaps it is because they themselves have published so many spectacularly ridiculous claims as fact over the past four to five years that they assume that is what the Bee must be doing.

    In any case, as the CEO of the Bee, Seth Dillon, pointed out "The NY Times was using misinformation to smear us as being a source of it. That’s not merely ironic; it’s malicious. We pushed back hard and won."


    And for our daily dose of irony...

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The "fact-checkers" at Snopes have rightly taken a lot of ridicule for their repeated insistence on "fact-checking" the satirical news site The Babylon Bee, including once rating a 2018 story "false" about how CNN was using an industrial-sized washing machine to "spin" the news. This actually resulted in Facebook citing this fact-check in a warning message to the Babylon Bee, where they threatened to limit their content distribution and monetization. A humiliated Facebook quickly apologized after learning that Snopes was fact checking satire.

      But it hasn't been just Snopes who are upset with the Babylon Bee. Other, once supposedly credible news outlets appear to have a problem with their satire (a strong indication that it is hitting its mark).

      A couple of days ago the New York Times was forced to issue a retraction after declaring in March that the satirical website was a "far-right misinformation site" that "trafficked in misinformation." The retraction was the typical mealy-mouthed one we've come to expect

      “An earlier version of this article referred imprecisely to the Babylon Bee, a right-leaning satirical website, and a controversy regarding the handling of its content by Facebook and the fact-checking site Snopes. While both Facebook and Snopes previously have classified some Babylon Bee articles as misinformation, rather than satire, they have dropped those claims, and the Babylon Bee denies that it has trafficked in misinformation.”


      Of course they leave out the shamefaced apology Facebook made after discovering that the folks at Snopes were humorous morons who never heard of satire before, had led them astray. Apologies are more than just dropping the claims.

      For it's part The Babylon Bee goes well out of its way to be clear they are a satirical site repeatedly describing itself as "your trusted source for Christian news satire" and "the world’s best satire site." And yet leftwing gloomy goobers can still manage to take a joke about CNN using a washing machine to "spin" the news seriously.

      Perhaps it is because they themselves have published so many spectacularly ridiculous claims as fact over the past four to five years that they assume that is what the Bee must be doing.

      In any case, as the CEO of the Bee, Seth Dillon, pointed out "The NY Times was using misinformation to smear us as being a source of it. That’s not merely ironic; it’s malicious. We pushed back hard and won."
      It's hilarious to watch.

      And the Bee has some excellent articles, truly a great spiritual successor to The Onion (which sadly seems very stale and not-creative the last few years)

      Comment


      • #4
        I guess when the news that the MSM reports is so off-the-wall false, it makes it hard for them to distinguish satire from their own nonsense.


        Comment


        • #5
          The Babylon Bee is usually about as funny as a hotel fire, but is quite obviously satire.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            The Babylon Bee is usually about as funny as a hotel fire, but is quite obviously satire.
            I don't know. I gotta Sensible Chuckle when I saw this

            Source: Biden Announces Putin Meeting Was A Success, Hunter Now Has A Job With Russian Pipeline


            GENEVA, RUSSIA — President Joe Biden has announced to the world that talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin have been a massive success.

            "We had a real breakthrough, me and ol' Putin," said Biden triumphantly. "I stared him down and said, 'Look pal, here's the deal: You get whatever you want, but my son WILL get a cushy job over on the Russian pipeline.’"

            "Well, suffice to say my son is now employed again and the board of Nord Stream 2 will get my son’s expertise! Putin caved to my demands all in exchange for access to our nation’s secrets, surveillance, and some sanctions against America," announced Biden as he was met with thunderous applause from all journalists present. "I took em' to the cleaners and didn't hold back."

            "Wow, no President can make a deal quite like Biden can!" said MSNBC journalist Kathy Pigeons welling up with tears. "Finally, a President who can stand up to that bully Vladimir Putin and create jobs for the American people."

            Most Americans were hoping to hear news addressing cyberterrorism concerns, resuming diplomatic relations, and easing tensions between the two nations. But once they realized that Hunter Biden got a job, those concerns seemed trivial. "Well, the President of the United States wouldn’t have gone all that way to talk to Putin if it wasn’t in our best interest."

            Hunter Biden was asked for comment, but he had already begun celebrating this big win for America.



            Source

            © Copyright Original Source



            And I'll bet mossrose might like Tensions Rise As G7 Attendees Accidentally Refer To Justin Trudeau Using Masculine Pronouns

            My biggest complaint is that they tend to go to the well a bit too often. Whenever the news is slow they pull out their old reliables (often a story involving Chick-fil-A), which gets old. But then again, it's the same thing that afflicts late night shows. When you have to produce every day of the week (or even five days/week) material can get thin occasionally.




            I'm always still in trouble again

            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I don't know. I gotta Sensible Chuckle when I saw this

              Source: Biden Announces Putin Meeting Was A Success, Hunter Now Has A Job With Russian Pipeline


              GENEVA, RUSSIA — President Joe Biden has announced to the world that talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin have been a massive success.

              "We had a real breakthrough, me and ol' Putin," said Biden triumphantly. "I stared him down and said, 'Look pal, here's the deal: You get whatever you want, but my son WILL get a cushy job over on the Russian pipeline.’"

              "Well, suffice to say my son is now employed again and the board of Nord Stream 2 will get my son’s expertise! Putin caved to my demands all in exchange for access to our nation’s secrets, surveillance, and some sanctions against America," announced Biden as he was met with thunderous applause from all journalists present. "I took em' to the cleaners and didn't hold back."

              "Wow, no President can make a deal quite like Biden can!" said MSNBC journalist Kathy Pigeons welling up with tears. "Finally, a President who can stand up to that bully Vladimir Putin and create jobs for the American people."

              Most Americans were hoping to hear news addressing cyberterrorism concerns, resuming diplomatic relations, and easing tensions between the two nations. But once they realized that Hunter Biden got a job, those concerns seemed trivial. "Well, the President of the United States wouldn’t have gone all that way to talk to Putin if it wasn’t in our best interest."

              Hunter Biden was asked for comment, but he had already begun celebrating this big win for America.



              Source

              © Copyright Original Source



              And I'll bet mossrose might like Tensions Rise As G7 Attendees Accidentally Refer To Justin Trudeau Using Masculine Pronouns

              My biggest complaint is that they tend to go to the well a bit too often. Whenever the news is slow they pull out their old reliables (often a story involving Chick-fil-A), which gets old. But then again, it's the same thing that afflicts late night shows. When you have to produce every day of the week (or even five days/week) material can get thin occasionally.


              Well, Trudeau is peoplekind, after all.


              Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

              Comment


              • #8
                The problem is that the Bee is often less satirical than it intends - because the crazies seem intent on making even the most absurd things real.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

                "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

                My Personal Blog

                My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

                Quill Sword

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  The Babylon Bee is usually about as funny as a hotel fire, but is quite obviously satire.
                  Except where they call themselves "the world’s best satire site", which is clearly misinformation.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    The "fact-checkers" at Snopes have rightly taken a lot of ridicule for their repeated insistence on "fact-checking" the satirical news site The Babylon Bee, including once rating a 2018 story "false" about how CNN was using an industrial-sized washing machine to "spin" the news. This actually resulted in Facebook citing this fact-check in a warning message to the Babylon Bee, where they threatened to limit their content distribution and monetization. A humiliated Facebook quickly apologized after learning that Snopes was fact checking satire.

                    But it hasn't been just Snopes who are upset with the Babylon Bee. Other, once supposedly credible news outlets appear to have a problem with their satire (a strong indication that it is hitting its mark).

                    A couple of days ago the New York Times was forced to issue a retraction after declaring in March that the satirical website was a "far-right misinformation site" that "trafficked in misinformation." The retraction was the typical mealy-mouthed one we've come to expect

                    “An earlier version of this article referred imprecisely to the Babylon Bee, a right-leaning satirical website, and a controversy regarding the handling of its content by Facebook and the fact-checking site Snopes. While both Facebook and Snopes previously have classified some Babylon Bee articles as misinformation, rather than satire, they have dropped those claims, and the Babylon Bee denies that it has trafficked in misinformation.”


                    Of course they leave out the shamefaced apology Facebook made after discovering that the folks at Snopes were humorous morons who never heard of satire before, had led them astray. Apologies are more than just dropping the claims.

                    For it's part The Babylon Bee goes well out of its way to be clear they are a satirical site repeatedly describing itself as "your trusted source for Christian news satire" and "the world’s best satire site." And yet leftwing gloomy goobers can still manage to take a joke about CNN using a washing machine to "spin" the news seriously.

                    Perhaps it is because they themselves have published so many spectacularly ridiculous claims as fact over the past four to five years that they assume that is what the Bee must be doing.

                    In any case, as the CEO of the Bee, Seth Dillon, pointed out "The NY Times was using misinformation to smear us as being a source of it. That’s not merely ironic; it’s malicious. We pushed back hard and won."
                    The NYT recognized the Babylon Bee as satire. It clearly said so in the article.

                    The problem was also calling it right-wing misinformation, which was clearly unfair and retracted.

                    The right-wing propaganda sites pushing your narrative are much more dishonest than the Times.

                    The offensive line was changed from: “The Babylon Bee, a right-leaning site, sometimes trafficked in misinformation under the guise of satire.” to “The Babylon Bee, a right-leaning satirical site.”

                    This seems fair, but hardly a big deal.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Backup View Post

                      The NYT recognized the Babylon Bee as satire. It clearly said so in the article.

                      The problem was also calling it right-wing misinformation, which was clearly unfair and retracted.

                      The right-wing propaganda sites pushing your narrative are much more dishonest than the Times.

                      The offensive line was changed from: “The Babylon Bee, a right-leaning site, sometimes trafficked in misinformation under the guise of satire.” to “The Babylon Bee, a right-leaning satirical site.”

                      This seems fair, but hardly a big deal.
                      Actually, only the later correction recognized this. In the original article, the author, Mike Isaac, proclaimed that the Bee wasn't a conservative satire site but was instead a "far-right misinformation site" that "trafficked in misinformation under the guise of satire." That does not look like they recognized that the Bee is satire to me.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I guess when the news that the MSM reports is so off-the-wall false, it makes it hard for them to distinguish satire from their own nonsense.
                        Where are you getting your news from?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Backup View Post

                          Where are you getting your news from?
                          Various sources. Internet, TV, occasional actual newspaper.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                            Various sources. Internet, TV, occasional actual newspaper.
                            Those are delivery systems.

                            What news sources do you go to that lead you the conclusion that the mainstream media is “off-the-wall false”? From my experience, sources that rag on the mainstream media are usually crazy, right-wing propaganda outlets that are not nearly as credible as the mainstream media.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                              Except where they call themselves "the world’s best satire site", which is clearly misinformation.

                              There is nothing that keeps satire from being itself biased, or from propping up or encouraging belief in misinformation. When it does so, it becomes not merely satire but also misinformation.

                              E.g. an article mocking the idea the Earth goes around the sun in Galileo's time.
                              Mockery is the argument of the mentally and/or emotionally challenged.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Reepicheep, Today, 07:21 PM
                              9 responses
                              34 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Gondwanaland  
                              Started by Reepicheep, Today, 01:13 PM
                              9 responses
                              72 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Gondwanaland  
                              Started by MaxVel, Today, 09:03 AM
                              29 responses
                              172 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post MaxVel
                              by MaxVel
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, Today, 06:59 AM
                              30 responses
                              136 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Started by shunyadragon, Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                              35 responses
                              189 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Working...
                              X