Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Facebook VP admits their fact-checkers "are not necessarily objective"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Here's one I mentioned a week or so back: Conservative commentator Candace Owens was banned by Twitter for re-tweeting some of the racist comments Sarah Jeong has posted in the past while Sarah Jeong was never banned or censored for posting them in the first place. Twitter was forced to apologize and reinstate her 12 hours later due to the backlash for doing so, but as Owens herself noted, others who aren't as prominent as her received no such apology and were still censored and suspended.

Twitter called it a "mistake" but the fact that, as Owens indicates, they didn't reverse their sanctions on less prominent people who also merely quoted Jeong, puts the lie to that story.
    You are comparing how Twitter reacted to a post three years ago with how Twitter reacted to a post four years before that.

Anything a little more current?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
      Let the hand waving commence!
      tenor (2).gif
      Why am I not surprised?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not at all surprised. Facebook isn't objective in many respects. I had a friend on there have a post covered up as 'possibly offensive' because it featured a child witnessing to another child about Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
          Not at all surprised. Facebook isn't objective in many respects. I had a friend on there have a post covered up as 'possibly offensive' because it featured a child witnessing to another child about Jesus.
          This is the same company that censored this image as "offensive" a few years ago until outrage forced them to reconsider and call it yet another "accident."

santajesus.jpg

The Facebook version of it:
          fbwarning.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They are still covering images like that. I post two the three scripture verses a day on my Facebook wall. I am just waiting for them to harpoon me for spamming.

Comment

Why am I not surprised?
              You find my request unreasonable?

Comment

As even some of those on the left have reluctantly admitted, the reason that asking questions about the lab were banned wasn't because of conspiracy theories about deliberate releases. That was just the excuse[1]. The reason was because OMB. Since Trump had suggested the idea, it was to be summarily rejected since Trump could not be allowed to be right about anything.
                That’s a conspiracy theory, by any definition.

The deliberate release conspiracy implies that the Chinese released the virus among their own people, knowing in advance that Trump would mismanage the pandemic so bad America would become the epicenter.

Comment

This is the same company that censored this image as "offensive" a few years ago until outrage forced them to reconsider and call it yet another "accident."

santajesus.jpg

The Facebook version of it:
                  fbwarning.jpg
                  You are being lied to.

”It’s exceedingly improbable that anyone truly thought the illustration was “violent or graphic” or that Facebook deliberately chose to place a warning message on it. As the company confirmed to us, it was “automated systems that mistakenly applied a warning screen to this image,” a process that can be triggered by users (either mistakenly or prankishly) flagging an image as offensive. Facebook told us that the “warning screen was removed as soon as we identified the mistake.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fa...a-jesus-image/

Comment

Originally posted by Backup View Post

That’s a conspiracy theory, by any definition.

The deliberate release conspiracy implies that the Chinese released the virus among their own people, knowing in advance that Trump would mismanage the pandemic so bad America would become the epicenter.
                    The problem was that they were deliberately conflated with the concept that the leak might have been accidental and dismissed as racist.

Comment

You are being lied to.

”It’s exceedingly improbable that anyone truly thought the illustration was “violent or graphic” or that Facebook deliberately chose to place a warning message on it. As the company confirmed to us, it was “automated systems that mistakenly applied a warning screen to this image,” a process that can be triggered by users (either mistakenly or prankishly) flagging an image as offensive. Facebook told us that the “warning screen was removed as soon as we identified the mistake.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fa...a-jesus-image/
                      I'll note that the Snopes piece offers no evidence, just speculation. Essentially nothing more than personal incredulousness.

In any case, they always blame "automated systems" and yet these "automated systems" just happen to almost exclusively go after things like this. They never seem to accidentally censor any generic anti-Christian images. Or politicians on the left. So I guess we're left with having to ask what sort of programming these "automated systems" have that causes them to be so ham-fisted when dealing with conservatives and Christians. What sort of programming could account for an image of Santa kneeling before a manger containing the newborn Christ as "violent and graphic content" in the first place? IMHBAO, it really stretches credibility to think it was just an "automated systems error."

Comment

The problem was that they were deliberately conflated with the concept that the leak might have been accidental and dismissed as racist.
                        How can you tell it was deliberate?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

How can you tell it was deliberate?
                          Not in all cases. Some were just grossly incompetent. But with some you can tell by how angrily they've reacted when it has become increasingly apparent it did not originate from eating bats and the like, grimly determined to find a way for Trump to still be wrong even if he was right.

Comment

Not in all cases. Some were just grossly incompetent. But with some you can tell by how angrily they've reacted when it has become increasingly apparent it did not originate from eating bats and the like, grimly determined to find a way for Trump to still be wrong even if he was right.
                            Examples?

(I know I sound like a broken record, but that really is the only way to back up a claim like that.)

Comment

It often is racist.

Comment

It often is racist.
                                How can you tell when it's racist?

Comment