Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"go, sell all that you have and give to the poor..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
    Glad you fixed that. Post #103 confused me at first.
    Yeah I'm sorry...I have fat fingers today.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Just among the staff we have folks who are Orthodox Christian, Roman Catholic, Protestant (representing several denominations) and Baptist (many if not most Baptists don't consider themselves Protestant).

Huh. Ya larn sumpin new ever day!
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        And as I remarked those who post here are not representative of Christians within the USA.
        Thank you for your compliment to myself and my fellow Christians on this Board in trying to say we are better then others in America. As a Christian living in America( not a German Atheist) I have to tell you we are nothing special here in America we are just like most other Christians here in America. In other words we are the rule not the exception.

Comment

It would seem that you have answered your own question regarding the representation of Christian beliefs that are found on these boards. In point of fact those Christians who post here appear [we neither of us actually know] to be representative of only a select portion of Christian groups.
          I never claimed to know. I merely asked on what basis you declared this forum not to be representative of Christianity in general, and after spinning on your head like a top for several posts, you finally admitted that you don't know. I'm satisfied with that concession.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

HA, the issue was that the custom was to sell and then bring the entirety of the proceeds. The comment about holding back some shows that they were conspiring together to deceive people into thinking that was the entirety of the sum they received in the sale. And it was for that lie and deceipt that they suffered their consequence, not merely the fact they kept some for themselves.
            No, that first sentence is in error. They didn't have to give ANY money to the church or the poor. Peter is clear on that:

4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
              Glad you fixed that. Post #103 confused me at first.
              I was multi tasking it took me a couple of minutes to check it sorry about the confusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post

Your remarks remain unsubstantiated. Others have said what I was going to say about the context and the *actual" text of what Peter said. You rejected me and them with nonresponsive replies.

Talk all you want. The text is clear. Lying in the presence of God is why they died.
                On the other hand Acts could just be a very exciting story full of goodies and baddies.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                  Thank you for your compliment to myself and my fellow Christians on this Board in trying to say we are better then others in America.
                  I paid no compliments. You appear to have misinterpreted what I wrote.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I never claimed to know. I merely asked on what basis you declared this forum not to be representative of Christianity in general

And as you acknowledged neither of us actually know what percentage of Christians posters here belong to which specific denominations.

Hence my initial comment that the Christian members of these boards are not representative of Christianity within the USA and the wider world. You are a tiny fraction.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

No, that first sentence is in error. They didn't have to give ANY money to the church or the poor. Peter is clear on that:

4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

Let us forget the various translations.

Here is the literal translation of the Greek from Acts 5.1-3

And a certain man Ananias by name with Sapphira the wife of him sold a property and appropriated from the price aware of [it] also the [his] wife [=his wife also being aware of it] and bringing a a certain part at the feet of the apostles placed [it]

[See: The Interlinear NRSV and NIV Parallel New Testament in Greek and English, Interlinear Translation by Alfred Marshall. Zondervan, 1993]
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

On the other hand Acts could just be a very exciting story full of goodies and baddies.
                        Which you are very strangely fixated upon. What is the reason for your interest?
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

And a certain man Ananias by name with Sapphira the wife of him sold a property and appropriated from the price aware of [it] also the [his] wife [=his wife also being aware of it] and bringing a a certain part at the feet of the apostles placed [it]

[See: The Interlinear NRSV and NIV Parallel New Testament in Greek and English, Interlinear Translation by Alfred Marshall. Zondervan, 1993]
                          You fight very hard for a specific interpretation when you admit is only one of many interpretations. Pontificating on something that does not concern you as a non-christian. It's very interesting that you do so.

Comment

how does that change what we said? that is just the intro. They sold some property and laid a portion at the apostle's feet.

What is the translation of verse 4? Peter accuses them of claiming to have given the whole price but lying about it. And points out that it was theirs to do with what they wanted.

Comment

I guess you'll find out one day.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I guess you'll find out one day.
                                She will explain to God how he got it all wrong.

Comment