Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"go, sell all that you have and give to the poor..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    If that concept were to be followed to the letter all Christians would have to be homeless and be itinerant
    While Jesus was not a Christian if we read the gospels he was, during his ministry, itinerant and homeless.

In fact, if you take a look at Acts 5 it is clear that Ananias and Sapphira could have kept some of their money.
    If you look at Acts 5 it is clear they both drop down dead as result of their financial chicanery!

Craig Blomberg, a Distinguished Professor of the New Testament at Denver Seminary, wrote Neither Poverty Nor Riches: A Biblical Theology of Possession provides a comprehensive examination of the roles of possessions with Christians, did an analysis into the issues of poverty and wealth which I recommend.
    Oh good so you can give me the page numbers and chapter heading. The citation in the box includes a quote from a 1972 work by F Martin. What is the title of his text?

While he is rightfully critical of the materialism pervasive in Western culture, particularly among Christians since that is his focus, he tends to balance it with plenty of reminders that the Bible often speaks of material possessions being a blessing from God.
    That led to the belief among some of the more extreme early Protestant sects that those who are godly will prosper while the lewd and the lazy will not.

That in turn led to the concept of the "deserving" and "undeserving poor" which had an impact on legislation in various countries to assist the poor over the ensuing centuries.

In recent decades we have also witnessed the complete travesty of the so-called Prosperity Gospel which corrupts the idea to the point that the more wealth you have the more you are blessed!.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      And as I remarked those who post here are not representative of Christians within the USA.
      And what is your basis for that claim?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In fact, if you take a look at Acts 5 it is clear that Ananias and Sapphira could have kept some of their money.
        Actually, they could have kept all of it. Peter even told them the money was theirs to do with as they wished. Their sin was not withholding their money but lying by telling the apostles that they were donating the full amount for the sale of their land.

Scripture Verse: Acts 5:3-4

Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God.”

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-13-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Well well well, look who made it over to TWeb from the forum that shall not be named.

Originally posted by Backup View Post

We can agree that BLM is strangely cultish and has little to do with helping American Blacks. I think almost everyone agrees that black people should be treated equally under the law and, of course, their lives matter as much anyone else's. But it always seems to come down to reciting the mantra.
          One of the few things we'll agree on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Actually, they could have kept all of it. Peter even told them the money was theirs to do with as they wished. Their sin was not withholding their money but lying by telling the apostles that they were donating the full amount for the sale of their land.

Scripture Verse: Acts 5:3-4

Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God.”

© Copyright Original Source

Yes. They were killed for lying. They didn't have to sell their property, nor did it matter what they did with the proceeds.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

She's not unique. Richard Dawkins has a habit of doing so.
              As an atheist, I refuse to play the "Bible trivia game". I don't pretend to know to know it better, and even if I did, "winning" the game would just be a means of feeding the ego.

Comment

So nothing but speculation then?
                Tradition is rarely "nothing but speculation."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

While Jesus was not a Christian if we read the gospels he was, during his ministry, itinerant and homeless.
                  If all Christians were homeless then they wouldn't have had places to meet and conduct service. They really couldn't have maintained the communications network they had established throughout the Western Mediterranean since nobody would know how to contact anyone.

If you look at Acts 5 it is clear they both drop down dead as result of their financial chicanery!
                  Maybe you should have looked then. What they got in trouble for was lying.

Oh good so you can give me the page numbers and chapter heading. The citation in the box includes a quote from a 1972 work by F Martin. What is the title of his text?
                  Why would I answer questions that you wouldn't? You even got a bit miffed when asked IIRC.

But if you want to know, I retrieved the info from previous posts in a discussion with KG, when I had still had access to the book.

That led to the belief among some of the more extreme early Protestant sects that those who are godly will prosper while the lewd and the lazy will not.
                  Not sure what the "lewd" have to do this other than an obsession you appear to have with lewd behavior and mocking those who don't share it, but people have misunderstood things pretty much since the beginning of language. Often it is because they want to hear only what they want to hear.

So what's your point?

In recent decades we have also witnessed the complete travesty of the so-called Prosperity Gospel which corrupts the idea to the point that the more wealth you have the more you are blessed!.
                  You will find a severe dearth of Prosperity Gospel advocates around here.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue
                    You will find a severe dearth of Prosperity Gospel advocates around here.
                    I wonder how many times we have to say that before she gets it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

On the opposite end of the spectrum are people like Christian singer and songwriter the late Rich Mullins who was worth millions at the height of career but told his accountant to pay him an average working man's salary and give the rest to charity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And what is your basis for that claim?
                        There are approximately about less than 700 of you posting to these boards.

This site has [judging by its membership] 680 registered individuals and not all of us are Christians. How many millions of Americans are Christian? The number registered on this site is a tiny fraction of that.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Tradition is rarely "nothing but speculation."
                          In the instance of your contention that the rich man in Mark 10.17-22 was a "tax collector" it most definitely is speculation. The text does not bear out that "tradition".
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I wonder how many times we have to say that before she gets it.
                            That Christians on these boards do not adhere to the Prosperity Gospel [at least not openly] does not ignore the fact that there are plenty of American Christians [and I suspect Christians around the world] that do.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That Christians on these boards do not adhere to the Prosperity Gospel [at least not openly] does not ignore the fact that there are plenty of American Christians [and I suspect Christians around the world] that do.
                              So, your point is....? You've asked a bunch of people on this board about this, and they say very few (if any) here believe it. You've stated, that others do. Do you want them to argue for the belief of others, defend the belief of others? What exactly are you looking for?

Comment

There are approximately about less than 700 of you posting to these boards.

This site has [judging by its membership] 680 registered individuals and not all of us are Christians. How many millions of Americans are Christian? The number registered on this site is a tiny fraction of that.
                                So you would disregard every single poll based solely upon the fact that they don't poll everyone. Well, except when you cite one and it reports what you want to hear.

So as we can see that you have absolutely no trouble at all citing polls that ask a miniscule percentage of the population (typically a few hundred to a couple of thousand out of a population of 330 MILLION), treating their results as authoritative -- but only when they say something you like.

Will you be changing your name to Hypocrite_Alexandria any time soon?

Comment